WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Thru hike?

Images

Default Thru hike?

I am headin out this way for college and would love to spend my summer on this trail. Is there any word on when it will be finished end to end? And has there been any thru-hike attempts yet?

What's the verdict good hikin or what!?

Godspeed
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Images

could you please be more vague?
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Phoenix View Post
    I am headin out this way for college and would love to spend my summer on this trail. Is there any word on when it will be finished end to end? And has there been any thru-hike attempts yet?

What's the verdict good hikin or what!?

Godspeed
    how long is the Arizona trail?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Garlic
    Images

The AZT is very hikeable right now. Plenty of thru hikes lately. Just over 800 miles, over 95% complete, and being worked on very actively.

It's not the AT or PCT. It's more like the CDT. Not quite finished, inhospitable terrain and climate, very challenging, very dry (40-mile water carries). A few triple crowners are tackling it as the "next challenge", and it's a good one.

Summer may kill you out there, if you don't have serious vehicle support and water caches. As far as I know, all thrus have been done in spring and fall.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

most excellent... thanks for the good info Garlic!
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Peachfuzz

I have a friend who's out there now, in the summer. Don't do it in the summer. (the forecast for this week is 104,108,101,105...you get the idea).

This is definitely a trail that I will be hiking! Even though the temperatures are very high, there is generally very low humidity. The heat is a dry heat. Rain storms are generally over in a half hr. There aren't as many insects, but you will need to watch for rattlesnakes and scorpions. Scorpion bites generally do not even require a trip to the ER. Coyotes can be bothersome, but generally will not attack you.
    Last edited by WIAPilot; 05-17-2012 at 12:57.

++ New Posts ++