WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork:1266794
    I barely hear you. You might consider a thru hike here. End to End of the hell is less than 50 miles and you better bring a hammock since the ground is too hot....
    I thought it was cold. Darn I was going to pick up a -40° sleeping bag.

Images

Bear Grylls had a very entertaining show. I'm sure he has a pretty good following that he will take with him to a new network.

Journal Entries
    Images

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls did grill bears?

Images

We don't watch TV, and now I'll never know who this Grylls guy, who people [tv outside people]keep relating to me when they ask me about hiking and camping.....................it's TV folks.

The situations presented to Bear is interesting. I do know that from his show he has already saved some people whom watched the program and applied the techniques. We recently had a hypothermia case with two 10 year old aged boys whom one fell into a frozen lake and the other utilized techniques to rescue the other boy and get him stable for medical attention. Though it is television, sometimes folks are just visual learners and if it gets people out there in the outdoors the better.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    The situations presented to Bear is interesting. I do know that from his show he has already saved some people whom watched the program and applied the techniques. We recently had a hypothermia case with two 10 year old aged boys whom one fell into a frozen lake and the other utilized techniques to rescue the other boy and get him stable for medical attention. Though it is television, sometimes folks are just visual learners and if it gets people out there in the outdoors the better.
    You make a valid point, but I'd like to see those kids learn stuff at a BSA or GSA meeting...........oh wait, that is another multipage HOT thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    I like both Les Stroud and Bear Grylls. They depict two different aspects of survival. Les is more about how to survive and Bear is more about how to reach to civilization. Both shows are great. It is sad that there will be no more Man VS Wild. I liked it very much but sometimes Bear's moves were way over the abilitis of a normal person and was too Dramatic.

I agree completely two different shows with two different points. Bear was more for show and to demonstrate extremely unlikely situations. Les was more reality based but consider the following. Due to regulations imposed by "hollywood", or whatever powers that be in the production of television programs, even Les Stroud was required to have a crew on hand for safety reasons. I can guarantee that support was never more than a few miles away for Les on his "adventures". As far as Bear Grylls is concerned I give him mad respect for having the physical ability that he has. I could only hope to be able to pull myself hand over hand up a rope on a 100' cliff face. I will miss his show if his termination is in fact true.

Images

He's a hottie. I have a job for him riiiiight here.

Les Stroud quit making Survivorman for a reason. First of all, every episode meant at least a week away from his family. 3 seasons of the show is a lot of time. Secondly, unless you get into ridiculous things like Bear did, there are limits to what there is to tell about practical survival. The number of possible settings is limited. The later episodes, you'll notice, involve more testing out of survival products and such than the early ones, in an attempt to not just be repeating himself.

"...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm glad I don't have cable...
    Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    We don't watch TV, and now I'll never know who this Grylls guy, who people [tv outside people]keep relating to me when they ask me about hiking and camping.....................it's TV folks.
    You mean like this

http://www.theonion.com/articles/are...own-a-tel,429/

Don't worry, I'm one of those non-television types too, and I can't stop myself from mentioning it whenever I get the chance. Wait, did I just do it again? Drat!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Right around the time Star Trek was ending, 'The American Sportsman' had William Shatner hunting Kodiak Bear, with a bow and arrow!!!! He was hacking his way thru scrub, and in the shadows there it was...twang.... more shadowy movement..... Taa Daa....Capt Kirk with a big ole bar! I'd like to see one of these young bucks take on the Lizard Captain, with nothin' but a I-phone!

Man vs Wild > no Man vs Wild

Personally, I'll take any outdoor show I can find, so losing another really blows.

Can't say I've ever seen a show of his but this is the only thing I have seen...it was enough for me to continue to not watch it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

Images

Does this mean my Bear Grylls knife is going to be a collector's item?
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

With Les Stroud coming back and Bear on the outs right now, does that mean in another year or two Bear comes back and Les takes a breather? Hop scotch survivalist hosts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++