WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Why people carry so much "stuff"

I just finished a couple of days on the trail - Amicalola to Neels and passed a bunch of hikers - - some termed themselves "thru-hikers" (which is cool). What I simply don't understand is that with all the information available why people continue to hike wearing big heavy boots, heavy army pants, cotton shirts, and carry absurd things like pillows and lap-tops, and buck knives on their belts, and guns (yep - saw one) - - hanging haphazardly off the back of their packs swinging to and fro. Lumpy at Neels told me that they ship 9000 pounds of gear "home" for folks each season. So why, with all the information available are people so darn bent on making their hikes essentially miserable? At least back in the day (before the internet) hikers had to be personally mentored to catch up with the learning curve - - now, I just don't get it. I saw a lot of wet miserable people.
    Last edited by Papa D; 03-13-2012 at 23:37.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Some lessons just need to be learned through experience.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

You don't go to a basketball game and see real players wearing Chuck Taylors or to a football game and see leather helmets. People showing up to other activities are more or less "with-it" - it seems that new backpackers just make a bunch of garbage up -- "hmmm, think I carry this item - - a giant box of wet-wipes, a female urinal, "a couple" of books, a huge 100' hank of rope, an EMTs 5-pound first aid kit, a rifle, ammo, army style steel canteens, a mousetrap, full strength climbing carabiners, board games, - - I mean I saw people suffering through carrying goofy stuff. I don't advocate super ultra light for new folks -certainly not GO-FREEZE style - - just sort of a normal sane rig - - I saw too few.

Many people refuse to listen to any advise or evaluate what they are packing to see if they actually used or need it. Pain is the ultimate teacher.

Why research what you already know? Those folks didn't know they had anything to learn about backpacking, so they had no reason to do any online research. Or if they did know they needed a bit of education, they thought they could trust their local outfitter's advice (not knowing that the nice fellow at Dick's Sporting Goods who sold them their 7 lb pack and 5 lb sleeping bag has never hiked further than from his living room recliner to his refrigerator).

And even if someone DOES do online research before they buy, there are going to be some things they have to figure out on their own. No amount of online research can tell you if you're a warm or cold sleeper, or how much arch support your feet need, or whether a particular model of pack actually fits you well. So some amount of gear swapping's going to be inevitable.

Could be,in some strange way of thinking there looking for absolution,a punishment if you will,a pilgrimage.Or People just buy gear,and dam-it there gonna use it if kills them.I fall into the latter.

Images

My feeling is that they are mostly afraid and fear (of whatever variety) breeds gross over-packing

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    My feeling is that they are mostly afraid and fear (of whatever variety) breeds gross over-packing
    True,but I don't think most people even consider the fact that they can and do have a choice of what to carry...it just doesn't occur to most,they have brought what seems reasonable.

People are lazy when it comes to research. It's soooo hard to read reviews and ask questions. I think lots of people assume that in order to get by outside it's necessary to take miniature versions of everything in their homes. I mean, if you need it at home it must be extra important in the wilds.

Images

I guess - - but if I go do something new - - sailing for example (something I've never really done) - - I'm going to get some information on sailing - - like what to carry and what to wear on a sailboat - - I'm not just going to show up looking like Gilligan with a giant life preserver or simply make it up - - I think that Moon-Goddess may be on to something in the Dicks Sporting Goods - - it's a shame that people fall into that sort of trap.

"I think lots of people assume that in order to get by outside it's necessary to take miniature versions of everything in their homes. I mean, if you need it at home it must be extra important in the wilds."

Yes. Also, people don't stop to think that maybe their daily habits in "civilization" need to be changed for a long hike in the woods. They wear a fresh outfit every day at home, so they pack several days' worth of spare clothes so they can always have a clean outfit on the trail. They take a shower every day at home, so they pack a large solar shower for the trail. They have a nice big fluffy pillow on their bed at home, so they bring a nice, big fluffy pillow out with them on their hike. Doesn't take too much of that sort of thing to bloat a pack up to monstrous proportions.

Hey don't knock the mouse traps. I'd get more sleep if we knocked their numbers down a little at places like Gooch Mtn Shelter. The mice there are so bold they don't even care that you are there when they start going through your stuff!!

I see a few reasons. Not good reasons, but reasons:
    -There are plenty of group settings which teach backpacking in a more old fashioned way for either cost reasons or because its what they always have done so for ease and liability reasons they keep doing it that way.
    -Large groups use heavier equipment (e.g. whisperlite, larger pots, more robust first-aid kit, hatchet) because they make more sense for 10+ people. So that is what many get used to.
    Church groups or similar that are just getting people together in the woods may have older gear because they are on tight budgets so people are used to 4 person old fashioned A-frame Eureka tents.
    -Bulky Ridge rests are popular with boyscouts because they are no fuss and cheap.
    -Synthetic bags are better for beginners who may not know how to keep them dry or are scared off from down from the wet police
    Maybe their only hiking experience was dayhiking where in most cases you checked the weather, grabbed what you have at home (cotton, heavy boots that are better for shoveling a driveway of snow) went on a 7 mile hike in the woods and were perfectly fine.
    -On the hygene front, there are many people who can't get past the idea of not showering. Once they do it once it isnt a big deal, but telling someone who has showered every or every-other day of their life that they won't shower for a week will start hoarding wipes.
    -I imagine the guy with the gun or the large knife takes them everywhere always. Kind of similar to taking a shower every day, hard to give up. I would say the same of the coffee drinkers out there but this would start a war.
    -Just because you can google something doesnt mean you google the right thing. If you google backpacking gear, plenty of useless crap comes up. "thru-hiker gear" would be more relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    Hey don't knock the mouse traps. I'd get more sleep if we knocked their numbers down a little at places like Gooch Mtn Shelter. The mice there are so bold they don't even care that you are there when they start going through your stuff!!
    Wholehardedly agree!

As to the other stuff: Hey different strokes for different folks.
    Why is your way the best?
    As hot as I hear it is down south right now, I see nothing wrong with carrying a cotton shirt either.

The gun scares me bit but, even the buck knife is taught in boy scouts I believe.
    To each his own.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Whistles, sunglasses, sunscreen, water filters, profile maps,..................now that's the goofy ****.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    ?.......What I simply don't understand is that with all the information available why people continue to hike wearing big heavy boots, heavy army pants, cotton shirts, and carry absurd things like pillows and lap-tops, and buck knives on their belts, and guns (yep - saw one) - - hanging haphazardly off the back of their packs swinging to and fro. Lumpy at Neels told me that they ship 9000 pounds of gear "home" for folks each season. So why, with all the information available are people so darn bent on making their hikes essentially miserable? At least back in the day (before the internet) hikers had to be personally mentored to catch up with the learning curve - - now, I just don't get it. ....
    You forgot paracord survival bracelets- ha! What you described sounds more like a bunch of car campers trying to be thru hikers. No wonder there's such a high drop out rate on the trail.

I think it's a combination of people's "fear factor" and a good amount of salesmanship on part of the outfitters that leads to such foolery.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Spokes; 03-14-2012 at 09:43.

all this dissing is fine....then you go and diss my Chuck Taylors....
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I have even known people (and I know this is impossible to believe) who don't carry hammocks.

Yeah, I dont understand why folks wouldn't research beforehand. I'm an avid day hiker, but through reading about AT strategy and gear recommendations, I've learned that long distance hiking is a completely different story. 4/1 will mark the start of my journey. It is my first attempt at a thru hike. I'm absorbing as much info as i can from white blaze and other resources. I figure it will make the adventure so much more enjoyable. Here's to a 25 lb pack!

Quote Originally Posted by positrail View Post
    Yeah, I dont understand why folks wouldn't research beforehand. .....
    I agree. You'll be way ahead of the learning curve when you hit the trail. Prolly look at all those hikers carrying 65 lb. packs, shake your head, and say "Bless their heart".

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++