WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    So many variables, but why not wear them bad boys to Neel Gap. I imagine about by then you'll be ready to dump off a few things, and walk out of there with Newbies or what not. Hows your ankles? Mind your pack weight. Shoes can be a real blessing, but not with a heavy ruck. Might be that it will stilll blow cold and snow. A water proof sock isn't stupid.
    +1. If you find them comfortable, then go for it. You will not know until you try it. If they don't work out, swap them out for something else. That said, it might be worth getting fitted for a trail runner by someone who knows what they are doing, so you have a sense of what you might want to switch into.

And whether boots really are superior to trail runners in terms of preventing sprains and such, that is debatable. I'm prone to ankle sprains and have certainly had it happen in the sturdiest of boots.

Everyone has a different opinion on footwear. I like boots over all other choices. Better ankle support, better water proofing. Shoe weight is not all that important when you are talking about 4 ounces.

I'll take as much as i have to,in order to keep his feet safe!
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

Journal Entries

I wear Timberland lite boot all day every day.
    most the time the mud will be deeper the shoes.
    I use to think all hikes wear boots till I met Sandal Foot doing a yoyo and never put no shoes at all.

definitely bring your boots. The trail will destroy them and THEN you can decide if they were overkill or not. On my thru hike I went from boots to trail runners and then back to boots. My feet were in enormous pain after a couple weeks in trail runners.

Ultimately it is very simple. Wear what make YOUR feet happy.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Alright, I threw away my orange cathole scoop. Now I read I don't need my light weight Lowa boots? April 8th is my first hike and am getting geared up. Read that boots are an over kill? I have a back-up Newbalance ultra light for camp, but should the Lowa's go in trash and pick up some trailrunners? Or can I wear them to Neel's and throw in hiker box and pick up light weight shoes there if the Lowa's don't work out? Ant advice is welcome!!
    If they fit well and fill good at home.I think you will love them on the AT.
    think about it... It would suck to role your ankle on a rock and have to go home.
    You get to Neels Gap and don't like them give thim to some one that needs something better.

You're probably going to need another pair of footwear regardless. You could try the to boots to Neel Gap and trail shoes to Hiawasee and see which you like best, or wear the boots further up trail. The only problem there if you like the shoes better you most likely won't want to wear the boots for long distance hiking again unless it's fairly rugged like in NH and ME.

Journal Entries
    Images

I would definately keep the boots, especialy since you already have them and they are broken in. You can laff at the folks wearing trail runners when they have to walk through 6" of snow.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    I would definately keep the boots, especialy since you already have them and they are broken in. You can laff at the folks wearing trail runners when they have to walk through 6" of snow.
    I walk through snow just fine in trail runners. Laugh at me all you want.

The POINT of this thread is.....if it is comfortable on your feet.....wear it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    ... Now I read I don't need my light weight Lowa boots? April 8th is my first hike and am getting geared up....
    I started my AT section hiking in light weight Lowa boots and loved them. Eventually, when they wore down, I decided to experiment with low-rise Lowas, as I had heard and read the same thing as you. Now I do use the Lowa trail shoes on the AT and they work well, too, and indeed are lighter.

Thus, I've used both and think both are fine. Each has pros and cons. The boots protect the tops, sides, and ankles from impact bruising, as I do bang my feet against roots and rocks, sometimes due to slipping. The shoes don't do that as well.

If you have the boots and they wear well for you, then wear them would be my advice. Switch them out at some point (maybe when it warms up?) and see how you like shoes. Then you'll have both and the flexibility to wear based on the occasion or season.

There is no one right answer for every hiker or even every hike.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I am looking at a cross between boots and shoes in the Merrell Moab Ventilator Mids seen here:
    http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...h?dimensions=0

They are NOT a trail runner and NOT a real boot. They are LIGHT mid-high shoes with some ankle support.

Question to those here with many A.T. miles – Gore-Tex or NO Gore-Tex in THOSE particular shoes? $30 is the difference in pricing.

MSRP
    Merrell Moab Ventilators $100
    Merrell Moab Ventilators Gore-Tex $130
    Weight: 15 ounces per shoe

I'm also a boot guy, but I found out the bad way that 50mi is NOT enough mileage to break a pair of boots in! I have Asolo fugitives, and I love them, but I paid a big price by not putting enough miles on them for a section hike last October. Now that I have lots more miles on them we are getting along just fine!

Journal Entries

The US Army and the USMC still consider boots the best footwear for men carrying weight.
    So do I.

Quote Originally Posted by randyg45 View Post
    The US Army and the USMC still consider boots the best footwear for men carrying weight.
    So do I.
    Next time I'm carrying 100# and at risk of getting shot at, I will take that to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    I am looking at a cross between boots and shoes in the Merrell Moab Ventilator Mids seen here:
    http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...h?dimensions=0

They are NOT a trail runner and NOT a real boot. They are LIGHT mid-high shoes with some ankle support.

Question to those here with many A.T. miles – Gore-Tex or NO Gore-Tex in THOSE particular shoes? $30 is the difference in pricing.

MSRP
    Merrell Moab Ventilators $100
    Merrell Moab Ventilators Gore-Tex $130
    Weight: 15 ounces per shoe
    The disadvantage to no gore-tex is that the shoes are not waterproof. The advantage is that they will dry fast (once the gore-tex gets saturated, it will take a long time to dry). They will also be much cooler. I would suggest skipping the gore-tex, and getting some Rocky's gore-tex socks. Best of both worlds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++