WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Can't start in late June SoBo doing 20 miles per day and get to AT in time. At 20/day, it would take a bit over 4 months getting him on the AT Nov 1st. I don't think there is a good SoBo PCT plan that allows an AT hike without doing serious miles per day which he seems to have lost enthusiasm for.

Looks like another dream shatterd by reality, a lack of experiance, proper planning and training. Why do people set themselfs up for failure like this all the time?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Anyone think he'll give the money back?
    I have my doubts on him finishing even one of the 3 trails at this point.
    I'm sure he's doing some serious soul searching at this point.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Looks like another dream shatterd by reality, a lack of experiance, proper planning and training. Why do people set themselfs up for failure like this all the time?
    thats a good point, maybe people live their lives this way until they learn (wisdom?) that life works out better and happier with a little planning (such as using guidebooks).
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

"Experience is the best teacher, but a fool will learn from no other." - Benjamin Franklin. I first read that quote in Walking With Spring.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Garlic
    Images

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I don't understand why someone would start a calendar year triple crown 3 months into the year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Half Note View Post
    I don't understand why someone would start a calendar year triple crown 3 months into the year.
    Southern California would have been easier to hike if he had started on January 1st, at least for a while.

As others have noted, he has no idea what he's doing. He lacks the very high level of knowledge, skills, experience, physical fitness and luck it takes to do something like this. Scratch the last one because there's been good luck in that this has been an okay year to try something like this, but he didn't take advantage of it.

Images

Yesterday evening I picked Mr Coyote up at the ATL airport and delivered him to Springer for the start of the AT. It was interesting to hear the back story of his little adventure. He had a few things going in his favor, physically he is in decent shape and he has done some very long cycling trips that proves that he could handle the day to day hours of walking. But he lacked even the 101 knowledge of the trails he was hiking so he was basically done before he started. It would have been interesting to see how he did if he would have started on the AT first rather than the PCT. This appears to be the perfect Triple Crown year with low snow in the East and West.

I think Mr. Coyote learned a lot from his PCT adventure. He seems to have a great attitude and I wish him well on his trip.

Did he say that we was going to hike what he skipped on the PCT (start all over) or pick up where he got off?

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I believe Squeaky started in May and finished his triple crown on Springer on December 30th or 31st. This guy is not Squeaky, but then none of us are.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Half Note View Post
    Did he say that we was going to hike what he skipped on the PCT (start all over) or pick up where he got off?
    His intent is to hike the skipped miles. But there is a lot of between before then that will likely change a plan.

At least he was smart enough to skip over to the AT, otherwise he would be done. Hopefully, he'll get a little farther on this trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    Yesterday evening I picked Mr Coyote up at the ATL airport and delivered him to Springer for the start of the AT...I think Mr. Coyote learned a lot from his PCT adventure. He seems to have a great attitude and I wish him well on his trip.
    From his Blog; "Gonna be nice to ditch the bear can for a few thousand miles. Considering ditching the tent too, what with the shelters on the trail. And I hear Appalachia is nice this time of year."

Also wishing him the best, and hopes that the shelters are not full.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    From his Blog; "Gonna be nice to ditch the bear can for a few thousand miles. Considering ditching the tent too, what with the shelters on the trail. And I hear Appalachia is nice this time of year."

Also wishing him the best, and hopes that the shelters are not full.
    He did a quick google search and discovered the folly of not bringing a shelter. He brought one.

Balls and Sunshine's trailjournal mentioned Coyote on April 7, 2012. Did anyone think Coyote had hiked 700 miles of the PCT this year?

"Later, we even ran into a hiker that wanted to talk with us. His name is Coyote. He hiked the first 700 miles to KM on the PCT already this year so he is conditioned and fast. Sunshine can still keep up with any hiker as long they have interesting stories. She's pretty chatty as last years PCT hikers can atest to. So we walked with him a couple hours till we arrived in camp, but he continued on as he is up to 25 mile days already."

I'm getting too old, maybe a bit wiser, for this. I have better things to do- LIKE HIKE MYSELF! I will wisely stand on the sidelines with-holding harsh judgements and hard analysis. To jump into the fray with my own comments about this proposed endeavor is akin to making comments about someone who publicly proposes to be the starting quarterback in the Super Bowl when they have yet to be the starting quarterback on a High School or College Football team. Nothing but the best though to whoever attempts the Triple Crown in a calendar year. For myself, it was hard enough achieving the Triple Crown over 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."
    Profound Garlic......so true!!!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

It will be nice to see this bunch of hikers progress on the trail this year. And to read about them meeting/interacting on the trail is so cool!

I recently ran into Coyote Rob on the AT this past week. He blew by us going up a steep climb, we saw him the next day at the lodge in Fontana, and he stayed at the Fontana Hilton with us that same night. We talked to him for a while, he's a pretty cool guy. on 04/11/12 (yesterday) he was heading into the GSMNP. Just thought I'd give a little update on his location. He said he planned to finish the A.T. at the beginning of July i believe.
    "Teufel Hunden"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++