WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default First time hiker

I will be taking 4 weeks to hike as much of the trail as i can starting from VA. I've bought most of my gear (to the tune of $997 at the sporting goods store and another $205 online at REI). I still need hiking boots and was hoping I could get a option on the hiking shoes I should buy. I went to sports Authority and found some COLUMBIA Women's Dillon Ridge Hiking Boots (here's the link to look at them: http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family) I realize even though I am only doing 4 weeks I will still need some decent shoes. So if someone could let me know what they think of those shoes or have other suggestion. I also had a question about food. I bought 2 weeks worth of Mountain House Foods (I have 14 meals for dinner). Hauling it home and looking in the bag it looks like I'll be carrying a lot of food. Do I really need that much food? The guy at the store wanted me to buy 3 weeks worth of food, Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time..

Kelli

If you're not already conditioned to hiking boots you might look into trail shoes such as: http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/sear...FYuK4AodoEftjA or trail runners like Brooks, Inov-8, Saucony, etc. The boots you're looking at might not be the best choice when you consider break-in time and that boots aren't really necessary.
    As for food, there's really no reason to carry that much food at one time. If you check the articles on the home page there's an excellent resupply article that lists resupply points. You'll be much happier carrying 3-4 days (or as needed) food and buying what you need along the way. The Thru-Hikers' Companion or Awol's AT guide also have detailed resupply info. That food weight adds up fast!
    There are many great articles and threads that could point you in the right direction, but I'm going to take a note from Spokes and suggest you check out this gear list: http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4

Journal Entries

How long before you start your hike? Don't want so start with new boots.

if your not use to boots Maren is right I would go with trail shoes.

OK guess I should have read it all before butting in She really said it all.

+1 to what Maren said. In addition to trail runners, you might want to look at trail shoes, like Keen Voyageur. I just bought some of these and so far I don't see any break in time. In fact, they feel pretty amazing so far. Trail shoes are kind of in between trail runners and boots.

No need to carry two weeks worth of food. Good grief, your pack would weigh a ton. You can resupply along the way or possibly mail yourself food. And 14 days of Mountain House dinners may give you some wicked....ummm...stomach issues. Just sayin'.

Have an amazing journey!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

The Va section is not too rugged. +3 on don't buy new boots. Use a pair of runners that you already have. Your feet will thank you. Trick is to keep your pack weight down so your poor feet aren't pounding as much. Are you using poles? I have found that poles are better for ankle support than boots. I'd spend the $ on poles instead of new boots.
    Mt House is ok, but the salt will drive you crazy after a while, at least it did me. They take up a lot of room though. You can take them out of their original packaging and use sandwhich bags. Keep one Mt house pack, rinse it out, and use it over again. That will save a lot of room. Are you going to have someone mail you the food? Think about taking 1/2 of it back and just do the resupply on the trail.
    Have a GREAT hike!

Definitely check out the articles listed along the sidebar on the main page. You'll find tons of great information there.

I'd suggest practicing with all your gear at home before heading out, including cooking with your stove and eating two or three of your Mountain House dinners. Set up your tent, set it up again when it's almost dark, and in the rain if you can. Spend a few nights sleeping in your bag outside (tent, porch, whatever) and make sure you can stay warm.

Get to know your equipment and get comfortable with it. The time to gain that experience is before you're out there on the trail. It won't guarantee success, and not doing it won't guarantee failure, but you're doing this for fun and it makes sense to prepare as much as you can so you can not worry so much about details.

When you have real results with your practice, then come on back and search for related threads. If you can't find the answers you need, ask questions and you'll hear lots of suggestions and opinions. The trick is to figure out what works best for you.

Have fun. Hike your own hike. It's not about the miles, it's about what you experience along the way.

Another advocate of not bringing new boots to the trail. I would suggest not using boots at all but running shoes/"trail runners" instead. I can almost garuntee that you will not regret using lightweight sneakers instead of boots. I would say you have about a %90 chance of regretting the decision to take boots especially if they are brand new. Also its too late now but it seems like you spent way too much on your gear altogether, but that is a common mistake when first starting out. I know that I bought a lot of stuff that I later regretted because I found that it just wasn't the right type of gear, or just a piece of gear that is totally useless. Your whole setup shouldn't cost more than $700 from head to toe, but that is just my opinion.

If you want to post a gear list, people stand ready to pick it apart like pirranahs on a cow. Your choice.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

+1 To Creek Dancer and the Keen Voyagers!!! I love love love mine, both on and off the trial... and break in time on them is very minimal. I wear mine for work as well, and I work at a job where I am sometimes on my feet anywhere from 5-12 hrs a day and these shoes are great....I replace them once a year and seriously just put them on and head out the door to do whatever and have never had a problem!

Best of luck with your Journey

Well I wanted to leave soon, but I'm not sure not. That's another good question. I was told you really don't want to hike in the summer because it's too hot. I was thinking maybe Sept, but how cold is it then? I bought a Marmot women's -15 degree sleeping bag. Is Marmot a good brand? Will that be enough to keep me warm at night in Sept? I also bought 2 pairs of "cold to very cold" thermals. Thank you so much for all your input. It is a very big help.

Kelli

Yes, take a look at the gear list Maren mentioned. It's a tried and true cold weather list that yields a 16-18 lb base weight pack. Tweak it for summer and go lighter. Only thing to add is a trash compactor bag as a pack liner. Gloves and fleece beanie are assumed. Maybe you have time to do a couple overnighters to get comfortable with your equipment?

Lots of people always seem to rate Keen boots high but picking the right footwear for you can be tricky. If you have access to a descent outfitter go there and try on several pairs. A good outfitter will always have an incline board for you to test the shoe/boots fit. Basically, you don't want cramped toes on the downhill or excess heel lift on the ascents. So much more to it.......

Cheers!

hahaha Ok where do I begin. I think I bought out Sportsman Warehouse. Here goes:

Camelbak 100 oz antidote reservoir
    Hiker Pro micro Filter Pro edition
    Jet Boil Flash personal cooking system
    Jet Boil stabilizer kit
    Marmot women's -15 degree sleeping bag (Is Marmot a good brand to buy?)
    Kelty Women's Red Cloud 80 Internal Frame Backpack
    (which I paid $179 at the store, then found it on Amazon for $35 cheaper w/free shipping, so it's going bck)
    50 ft of rope
    small shovel
    hiking poles
    Large brimmed hat
    insect repellant
    Waterproof matches (28)
    Snake kit
    Blister kit
    moleskim
    Tenton camp pillow
    Lifeline 85 piece first aid kitCounter assault bear pepper spray
    Dri Ducks Ultra lite jacket pants set
    Cold pruf thermals top/bottoms X2
    Infinity plastic plate/bowl/cup
    Campware utensil set
    Tikinna head lamp
    Camp towel
    4 pairs of fox river outdoor performance hiking socks
    Camp soap

I think that's everything so far.. I still need to get the trail staples, oatmeal, GORP etc.

Please let me know what I need to return. Thank you again for your help.

You have everthing including the orange poopie trowel! The sleeping bag is at least 30 degree and three pounds too heavy. Might consider swapping for a lighter bag. Maybe you can get a refund on the first aid, bear spray. Most folks carry a couple of Gatorade bottles for water, lighter and cheaper. You don't need a shovel or trowel. You need some light cord like mason's twine to hang your food.

You can also toss the snake bite kit, you don't need a plate, bowl and cup (most eat from their cooking pot), only need a spoon or spork, don't need bear spray or that monster first aid kit, swap rope for spectra cord, and ditch 2 pairs of socks.

The sleeping bag only weights 3.5 lbs. The rest of the stuff I can understand. When I looked at shoes the guy said I really didn't need the bear spray. I'll be glad to return it. It was $58. What about the Jet Boil Flash personal cooking system? All I'll be doing is boiling water. That thing was $99.95 and another $14.95 for the stabilizer. I'll be going this weekend to do all my return, so more help would be greatly appreciated.

Kelli

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by starr_child View Post
    The sleeping bag only weights 3.5 lbs. The rest of the stuff I can understand. When I looked at shoes the guy said I really didn't need the bear spray. I'll be glad to return it. It was $58. What about the Jet Boil Flash personal cooking system? All I'll be doing is boiling water. That thing was $99.95 and another $14.95 for the stabilizer. I'll be going this weekend to do all my return, so more help would be greatly appreciated.

Kelli
    Jetboils are very convenient since they're designed to primarily boil water and can do so faster and with less work than any other stove I've used, but there are lighter/ cheaper options, it comes down to personal preference. If you do keep it, you can ditch the other plates and bowls, most people just eat directly from the pot.

+1 on ditching the bear spray, no need for it in the East coast. Drop the snake bite kit (useless) and the trowel (they get nasty quick), bring more moleskin and ibuprofen that you think you will need. I agree that you will likely find that your bag is warmer that you want, but only you can be the judge of that. Also consider adding a bit of duct tape and a small bic lighter, they both come in handy. If you're looking to save some money, think about swapping your filter and replacing it with aqua-Mira, again that's a matter of personal preference. Plenty of other things in the list that you might end up tweaking, but you're off to a good start so go have fun and see how you like everything.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Here's a great stove kit that has everything you need if you're considering dropping the jetboil: http://www.antigravitygear.com/antig...-cook-set.html

I heard that those purifier tablets make the water taste nasty, or is that the iodine ones? The only reason I wanted the shovel was in case I had to potty in between the shelters. I will definitely be bringing a lighter as I am a smoker.

Kelli

I assume your sleeoing bag is +15 degrees, not -15. No?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Yes sorry for the mistype. Would that work if I went in say September? I'm thinking of starting in VA, but not sure yet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++