WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

ScottP's list is a good one. With any piece of gear, always ask what benefits you're really getting if you go with a larger/heavier/pricier option over the lightest/cheapest/most basic model. For instance, since you're a side sleeper you might want an inflatable air mattress like that Big Agnes pad you looked at rather than a Ridgerest. It will be heavier, but better sleep may be worth the weight increase. Likewise, you may decide you prefer the bug protection and slightly easier setup of a tent over a tarp since you've not had much experience hiking yet, even though the lightest tent on my list weighs at least double the weight of the tarp ScottP has suggested. But what do you gain by carrying a 5 pound, 2-person tent instead of a 2 pound, one person tent? Nothing of value, just extra weight. Why carry an 80 liter pack if everything will fit into a 30 liter pack? The larger pack will be heavier, and the extra room isn't something you need; again, that's carrying extra weight for no gain. What does a 1 pound traditional pump filter offer that Aqua Mira or a 2 ounce Sawyer Squeeze filter doesn't - apart from complexity and extra weight?

As you've already discovered, your local outfitter and REI are both happy to weigh you down with heavy, cumbersome, unnecessary "necessary" gear. Think in terms of simplicity, lightness, and safety when you put your kit together, and you won't go wrong. Make every piece of gear EARN its way into your pack! Hiking's more fun when you're not imitating a pack mule.

Images

The water filtering/purifying thing had me stumped. I must have read fifty articles on water purifying. A hiker friend finally suggested I go with the Sawyer in line filter. They sell just the filter part of their gravity system. I got that and a two liter $10 walmart reservoir for my "dirty water" bag. I can fill the dirty bag, pop the bite valve off my camel bak hose, and let the filtered water drain into it without removing it from the pack. then the empty dirty water bag rolls up and stuffs in a side pouch with the filter. It's lighter than the pumps I looked at, and no chemicals to mess with. I like the camelback unbottle system myself. It's the camel bak reservoir in a cloth support baggie with clips.
    For food, since I'm boiling water for food any way, there's no real need to filter that, just boil.
    I looked into jetboil, but my little snow peak giga power stove and .7 liter cup look a lot lighter and less cumbersome. I prefer meals in a sack... Either home made or some type of prefab store thing. It keeps me from having to clean the cup, and I can drink something from the cup while eating my food, like cappuccino or something.
    I only tried the REI poles. I got them half price but I love them. I was going to get walmart poles but I was worried about them holding up long term, specifically the lock mechanism. I like the flip lock over the twist lock, but that's just me. They've got 25 miles on them now total, that's not much but I'm happy so far.
    I'm still a noob too, your miles may vary. I'm going on a group section hike in October, hopefully I can put some of what I'm learning to the test.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

OK I found this tent: REI Passage 1 Tent total weight is 4 lbs 2 oz, I also look at the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 Tent total weight 1 lb. 14 oz.Marmot EOS 1p tent 2 lbs. 12 oz.Big Agnes seedhouse SL1 Tent 2 lbs. 1 oz.REI Quarter Dome T1 Tent 2 lbs. 14 oz... I couldn't find the ones you suggested on REI or Amazon.. I found these on REI.. Tell me what you think.

Kelli

In doing my returns I couldn't find the hiker Pro on my receipt.. The lady checking me out was kinda dingy and not ringing up stuff and it was just a mess I think the filter didn't get rung up, so I think I'm going to keep it. It's not that heavy.. I'm gonna get 2 Nalgene Bottles.. The filter fits right on top to put it right in the bottles. I don't know what to do about the backpack. I really like this one, but you are right it's heavy and big.. The one 2 I tried on at Sports LTD I really didn't care for.. Maybe I need to go back and try on more.. I don't know.

Ok I decided to keep my Hiker pro filter. I couldn't find it on my receipt so I think the lady never rung it up. I know it's a little heavy, but I'm going to buy 2 Nalgene bottle and filter it right into the bottles. As far as backpacks i don't know what do except go back to Sports LTD and try on more. The 2 I tried on I didn't really care for. I noticed the straps digging in my shoulders (in front). It may have been because of the weights he had in it.. I don't know, but I will continue to look at backpacks.

Quote Originally Posted by starr_child View Post
    OK I found this tent: REI Passage 1 Tent total weight is 4 lbs 2 oz
    In my opinion, that's too heavy for a 1 person tent. You want to stay below 3 pounds maximum (and 2 pounds is better).

I also look at the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 Tent total weight 1 lb. 14 oz.Marmot EOS 1p tent 2 lbs. 12 oz.Big Agnes seedhouse SL1 Tent 2 lbs. 1 oz.REI Quarter Dome T1 Tent 2 lbs. 14 oz...
    Of those models, my choice would be either the Fly Creek UL1, or the Seedhouse SL1, because they're the lightest. But any of them would work.

I couldn't find the ones you suggested on REI or Amazon.. I found these on REI..
    I told you, the very best lightweight gear isn't sold by REI or Amazon; you have to buy it directly from the manufacturer. Try clicking on the links in my earlier post; they'll take you directly to the manufacturer's page for each of those tents. And they're worth looking at! The TarpTent Contrail weighs 1 pound 4 ounces and costs $200. The Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout weighs 2 pounds 2 ounces and costs $125. Compare those weights and prices to what REI is selling, and you'll see you may save either money or weight by going with the cottage gear companies' offerings.

Ok how about the Alps Mountaineering 3-Season Mystique 1.0 AL 1-Person Tent. It weights 3 lbs 11 oz.. it is a bit on the heavy side, but not as heavy as the Kelty Salida 2 @5 lbs 8 ozs. There is someone selling one on Craigslist that was only used once. He has the bug net and the footprint. He said he'd go down to $100. Is it worth it? Thank you for putting up with all my silly questions.

Frankly, I'd skip it; that tent is too heavy even if it is cheap. Why buy a used 3 lb 11 oz tent for $100 when you can get a 2 lb 2 oz tent (brand new, with a warranty) for $125?

Oh, and as for backpacks: don't forget that you can order packs from REI and return them if they don't fit well. You're not limited to what your local Sports LTD stocks. Some brands to look for include Osprey, Granite Gear, GoLite. Also consider trying a pack from Ultralight Adventure Equipment (http://www.ula-equipment.com/). A lot of hikers really like the ULA Catalyst and ULA Circuit packs. They're comfortable and made right here in the USA, in Utah. You can cAll the owner of the company on the phone and ask him questions about what models and features would be best for you.

Ok I'll skip the craigs list tent. Do any of the models I posted sound good.. those are all at REI. As far as back packs I tried a Osprey Kestrel 68 Mountaineering backpack weighting in at 3 lbs. 13 oz.. http://www.rei.com/product/828436/os...estrel-68-pack Again I didn't like the way it felt, but it might of been the weights the guy had in it, Let me know what you think of this one. I joined REI and just to let everyone know they are having a 20% off sale starting on the 23rd of March. If you need any equipment now would be the time to get it.

As I said, the Big Agnes fly Creek UL1 and the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 are both good tents. You'd be fine with either of them.

Osprey makes many other smaller packs besides the Kestrel: the Exos, the Atmos, the Talon, the Ariel, etc. If the Kestrel didn't fit you well, try a different model. You're looking for a comfortable pack in the 3-4 lb weight range, 30-50 L in volume, which can carry up to 30 lbs comfortably. Anything bigger or beefier than that is overkill. The brand of the pack doesn't matter much; you just want it to be comfy on your back. Take your time with this; the pack and the shoes you take MUST fit you well or you'll have problems.

This fits into the range that Moongoddess is sensibly discussing. As always, how it fits you is the main issue. This is the older model, much cheaper at REI outlet. Both look good, in the store.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

That REI Flash 50 pack on sale in the REI outlet is a bargain. Looks like a nice pack too. I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

The Flash 50 is a great pack at a great price. It can configured as frameless pack, as well. I have one and have no complaints.

OK I have decided to go with the Big Agnes Fly UL1 Tent or the MSR Hubba Tent
    2 lbs. 13 oz. and the REI Flash 65 Pack - Women's 2 lbs. 14 oz.and a Marmot Angel Fire +25 degree womans sleeping bag. I had to pick something.. I've been driving myself nuts trying to look for the right stuff and enough is enough,

OK I have decided to go with the Big Agnes Fly UL1 Tent or the MSR Hubba Tent
    2 lbs. 13 oz. and the REI Flash 65 Pack - Women's 2 lbs. 14 oz.and a Marmot Angel Fire +25 degree womans sleeping bag. I had to pick something.. I've been driving myself nuts trying to look for the right stuff and enough is enough,
    You are using an intelligent approach. I expect it will pay off for you.

Your selections sound good. Just make sure the Flash 50 fits you well; don't be afraid to return it to REI if it doesn't. It can take a bit of time to find the right pack (comfy, not too large, not too heavy), just like it can take a bit of time to find the right shoes or boots - but in both cases, the effort is well worth it. And you should get many years of use from that sleeping bag and either of those tents.

Now go outside and have fun!

OY Vey.. I don't have a REI near me so I went back to sports LTD and tried on some more backpacks. I tried on some Osprey's and Gregory's. I didn't like the way the Osprey's feel. But I found a Gregory that I really liked. It's the Gregory Deva 60 Womens. It's a little heavier than I wanted at 5 lbs 5 oz, but it feels great.The guy put 35 lbs of weight in it and it was not hard to carry. Seeing as I only have 3 options for to try on backpacks i had to go with with what I thought was comfortable.

I concur with the moongoddess regarding going directly to a cottage gear manufacturer for a tent. And I feel the same way around packs since you can get something lighter than what REI would have for comparable money. I also wouldn't bother with Nalgene bottles, and would go with lighter gatorade (or other bottled drink) bottles. All that said, go with what you find comfortable and enjoy the experience.

OY Vey.. I don't have a REI near me so I went back to sports LTD and tried on some more backpacks. I tried on some Osprey's and Gregory's. I didn't like the way the Osprey's feel. But I found a Gregory that I really liked. It's the Gregory Deva 60 Womens. It's a little heavier than I wanted at 5 lbs 5 oz, but it feels great.The guy put 35 lbs of weight in it and it was not hard to carry. Seeing as I only have 3 options for to try on backpacks i had to go with with what I thought was comfortable.
    That 35 pounds will make you work going uphill, even if it is comfortable on the back. I'd suggest ordring the Flash 50, trying it out for a bit, then deciding to keep it or not. Thats REI policy and marketing strategy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++