Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have a Mountain Hardwear women's Tadita 50. It's 3 pounds about flat, fits me really well, and has great load transfer to the hips. Last summer I was carrying 15-18 lbs base, about 25lbs with full load food and water, and this pack was great. This summer I'm looking to go even lighter, but I'll probably stick with this pack until I'm ready to take the plunge to ultralight and frameless.

I have an REI Flash 50 with the frame and brain removed. Just over 26 oz.

Journal Entries
    Images

I traded in my REI Mars 80 (way too big, and webbing was breaking after less than 50 miles) for an Osprey Aether 60. Best gear decision I've made yet. It is a lighter pack, but it feels much, much lighter than a 1lb difference. My back hurts less and is less sweaty during the hike. I took the lid off as well. I looked at the new REI lightweight Flash 65L pack, but it looked so flimsy that I'm sure I'd break it within a few trips.
    ESTRAGON: I can't go on like this.
    VLADIMIR: That's what you think.

I've had good luck with the 50 (last year's model), but I wasn't impressed with the latest versions.

Khike

Aether 60 here. Great pack. Never know you have it on. kevin

Images

New Granite Gear Crown VC 60-2 lbs.2 oz. Fits like a charm

Ditto ULA packs. I have the old P-2...wish they still made it!

Journal Entries
    Images

I have 3 packs each which works well for me. I have a ULA Circuit for the AT, REI Flash 65 for hiking in true wilderness, and a Jansport external for winter camping.

+1 for the GoLite Quest. Just about the lightest pack (in my price range, at least) I've come across that still has an internal frame, weighing in at 2lbs 13oz. I know price shouldn't be an "end-all" factor, but I think it should be noted that you can pick up a Quest for $80 over at GoLite's clearance section at the moment.

http://www.golite.com/Clearance.aspx

Journal Entries
    Images

For my planned AT thru-hike March 2013, I will probably purchase Hyperlite Mountain Gear's Windrider Southwest Ultralite pack at 1.6 lbs. It's very basic; made from cuben fiber (the technology is pretty fascinating); and waterproof (so you don't need a pack cover).

I have an external frame Kelty Trekker 64 that I have stripped the pack off, leaving only the shoulder straps and hip belt intact.

I am in the process of adding straps, loops, and grommets to various stuff sacks that I have. In the process I have also pirated some of the hard wear and the lid off my old EMS Ascent 4200.

Basically creating what I need. I have so much trouble getting a comfortable pack for my short torso that I decided to go with a 'packless' system along the lines of what Carol "Brawny" Wellman designed for herself.

Journal Entries

I have a Granite Gear Ki, which I love because the front opens all the way down with two parallel zippers. I can access gear anywhere in my pack without taking anything out. It's around 3 lbs. However, I need a bigger pack for winter gear. Any lightweight packs out there that are 3 lbs or less and carry 4,000 cu. inches?

Journal Entries
    Images

I really recommend the ULA Catalyst.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I have the Northface Alteo 50 and love it at 3.6 lbs with a trampoline back. Most comfortable form fitting pack. It's a toploader with a huge compartment that also has a side entrance. Mesh compartments inside. Totally love it! Good luck finding a new pack! Will pray you find the exact one you need!

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Images

I have the REI Flash 50 as well - really light, comfy, and I love it. I also recently acquired a cuben fiber pack that's even lighter, is waterproof, and also comfy - I haven't decided which to use for the through hike, but I'll get it worked out. Good luck in your search!

Dana Design Bomber pack that I got around 1995. Lots of fond memories with that one ... I refuse to get rid of it.

ULA: CDT - great go fast pack. Very comfy. It's the pack I grab for weekend hikes. (majority of my hikes are 1-2 nights).
    ULA: Circuit - Just got it and will take it for a 5 day spin starting this weekend. I guess I'll have to post my comments after I return.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++