WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by GrassyNoel View Post
    And if you find yourself in an emergency, string cheese can be knotted together to make climbing rope. I saw it on Man vs. Wild.
    ...... or braided to make the famous string cheese survival bracelet.

So what is the lightest, cheapest, and most durable cheese?

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I'm pretty tolerant of gross food texture, but the way that the cheap cheddar blocks melted and oiled out on the +85-degree days was too much for me, even though I know it wasn't rotten. I didn't want to drop money on pricier cheese so I mostly went without it for June and July. But if you had a real passion, a real dedication to eating cheese ... yes, you can have it every day for your entire thru-hike if you want.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    I'm pretty tolerant of gross food texture, but the way that the cheap cheddar blocks melted and oiled out on the +85-degree days was too much for me, even though I know it wasn't rotten. I didn't want to drop money on pricier cheese so I mostly went without it for June and July. But if you had a real passion, a real dedication to eating cheese ... yes, you can have it every day for your entire thru-hike if you want.
    A grilled cheese sandwich doesn't care if the cheese is a little oily or has changed texture...once it melts, its all good. After awhile I started carrying a loaf of bread tied to the outside of my pack...some squeeze butter and cheese, toasted using the lid to my pot as a frying pan. And experiment with different kinds of cheese...Swiss cheese with some of that precooked (no refrigeration required) bacon is good...or mozzarella and pepperoni (read the package, many don't need refrigeration).

The Laughing Cow cheeses are good because they are individually packaged...which is important if you're going to bring soft or semi-soft cheeses. For those not familiar, they come in a round container and when you open it up there are individually foil wrapped wedges inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Must have been asked before. Sorry, just tring to learn. You take the time to post when you don't have an answer. Wish I had that kind of time. Murphy is a little more laid back than Raleigh! See ya on the trail.
    Sorry. Didn't mean to come off like an a@@. I see you are relatively new to WB. The cheese durability question has become an inside joke to many long timers here. I should have cut you some slack. I apologize.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

If you trim off the mold, make sure you pack it out.

and pack out your ***** too.Cheese will help with that a bit.

Images

bring along some pepperoni and tortillas...instant pizza!

Will wrapping cheese in cheese cloth help with the oils on hotter days?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyPack627 View Post
    It does, yes. The oil is still there, just easier to deal with.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

I bought a bag of shredded cheddar cheese at most of my resupply stops. I used the cheese along with packaged tuna to make pretty tasty tortilla wraps for dinner. Most of the cheese bags were of the zip-lock type, but I quickly discovered that some of them leaked, so I always put the bag of cheese inside another zip-lock to avoid an oily mess in my food bag. The cheese easily lasted for at least 5 days, never got moldy, and I sorta liked the oily texture that came with warmer days!

Careful or Zelph will start making stoves that burn "cheese oil" and have a cheese cloth priming wick!

Journal Entries
    Images

Standard grated parmesan you find in any grocery store. Keeps well but gets old appetite-wise pretty fast. You can use the empty container to sprout beans. While it cannot be used in as many recipes as other cheeses, it does add flavor to otherwise bland foods.
    While I haven't tried it, you could use this; http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/can...ar_cheese.aspx
    The can adds weight so you'd have to think about it. Of course you could make an alky stove when it's empty.
    Maybe some posters could give you the link to previous threads on the same topic instead of making fun of you. You could do a search yourself, too. Lot's of good info here.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

What about the stuff that comes in a can?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Sorry. Didn't mean to come off like an a@@. I see you are relatively new to WB. The cheese durability question has become an inside joke to many long timers here. I should have cut you some slack. I apologize.
    It's all good! I am a firefighter in Raleigh and ya got to have tough skin to make it 30 years with the heavy jokin 24/7. See you on the AT or fishin for trout down your way. Miller Time!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbx View Post
    Who cares I say if you have a question just ask it. I'm sick of people complaining about duplicate questions. No one is making you read them and post back. Nobody wants to hear your half arsed advice suggesting the person dig into the archives. What if conventional knowledge has changed since the first time the question was asked? Bottom line if you don't want to answer a question that you have answered in the past then don't, nobody is making you. No response is better than a negative response.
    Agreed and well put. I've searched threads here for an answer and couldn't find it.

BTW, I heard there was an Incident with String Cheese, Be careful.

I have not fount that cheese last more than a day. I always eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks:1267563
    This is my favorite question, along with questions that start like this: "What is the lightest, cheapest, most durable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold:1268122
    Standard grated parmesan you find in any grocery store. Keeps well but gets old appetite-wise pretty fast. You can use the empty container to sprout beans. While it cannot be used in as many recipes as other cheeses, it does add flavor to otherwise bland foods.
    While I haven't tried it, you could use this; http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/can...ar_cheese.aspx
    The can adds weight so you'd have to think about it. Of course you could make an alky stove when it's empty.
    Maybe some posters could give you the link to previous threads on the same topic instead of making fun of you. You could do a search yourself, too. Lot's of good info here.
    A sarcastic response, however thanks for the suggestions!

Cheese is thought to have originated in the Middle East under desert heat circumstances when nomads poured milk into camel guts still containing digestive bacteria. I do not think that any cheese is going to spoil on the hiking trail. Try plastic tubs of spreadable feta or wheels of brie on rice crackers. Hard salami originated because raw meat spoiled in the Mediterranean climate, so pepper and salt were added as preservatives. I would not worry about sausage going bad. Freeze beverages in your water bottles with your food, wrapped in insulation like layers of clothes or your sleeping bag, before heading-out on trail and at least one day of refrigeration and ice-cold drinks will be available to you. Of course, your pack will be heavy for the first day. Salty and smoked meats, like bacon, ham hocks, chub, and salmon, are all preserved and should be fine for a few days. Teriyaki beef jerky is my favorite flavor.

Yup. Cheese became popular precisely because of it's long life. It's an old, old food used by old, old cultures (no pun intended). Wikipedia gives a good rundown on the history of cheese.

We North Americans are devoutly tied to our refrigerators as our food processors are bound to refrigeration instructions found on so many labels. But I firmly believe that most of it is overdone...after all, refrigeration doesn't preserve, it merely slows down spoilage. Spoilage, that in other contexts (e.g., cheese, beef, etc.), is called 'aging'.

I'm not anti-refrigeration -- without refrigerators we couldn't eat the old, unfresh food that we eat today. But the popularity on this forum of questions about cheese, eggs, cured meats, etc., shows a generation that didn't get to watch "Wagon Train."

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++