WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Considering Compiling Articles on Hiking with Dogs on Trail

Hey yall,

I am considering putting together a group of lessons and techniques for hiking with Dogs on the AT (or any trail for that matter) and I am looking to see if there was any interest in that topic. I am slowly working towards having my 3 year old Jack Russel Terrier\ Italian Greyhound Mix hike with me and my hiking partner and we are going to focus on having Lexi (dogs name) hammock camping. We are going to modify some hammock ideas so that she can have a bed right beside me. We will also be working on some DIY projects, such as packs, booties, bowls, etc and would love to share our information as we test and modify stuff. I am just looking for interest in the topic and if there is not any, then I will just avoid having to go into the work that it takes to put everything together. I have a blog up explaining my intensions, introducing you to my dog, and asking for interest level on my blog right now, if you would check it out and let me know what you think about the topic and whether it is something you would enjoy getting more information on.

Thanks,

It wouldn't be useful for me, as my dog is too old, but I bet other folks would like it. Some discussion of good hiking breeds might be in order as well. Loved the book "Things You Find on the Appalachian Trail," but this guy had a dog that was TERRIBLE for hiking.

Our schnoodle was a great hiker in her day. She's still great on the trail, but I'm not about to take her on an overnight - she despises camping. Scared of every little noise and barks her head off. No rest for us in camp!

Little dog with long legs. Her aggressive friendliness was always curtailed on the trails - at least on day hikes, because she was tired by the time she got up top. Although she is still friendly on trails, not obnoxiously so, as she is at home. Still not sure if she would have made a good thru-hiker though. It's a long way for a little dog. I guess I'm interested in dog breeds that would hike the best for the future. Not sure if you're planning on covering that.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Images

ut oh.........
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    ut oh.........
    yep........get the popcorn ready
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Maybe add a sub section comparing dogs and domesticated pigs. Do a pro and con for each attribute.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    yep........get the popcorn ready
    You Know It. This guy's gonna get slammed.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I'd be interested.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think we have a book on this or two.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I have invited the person back by email.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++