WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How many of you carry DSLR's?

So many great photog oppertuinities, but if ya aint got the right equipment..

Images

I carry a D5100 of late. Many years ago I carried a FM2n. Have never been satisfied with the P&S photos that I got, or the process.

Quote Originally Posted by dragoro View Post
    So many great photog oppertuinities, but if ya aint got the right equipment..
    I often carry a DSLR -- I litterly carry it in my hand because the opportunity to photograph wild animals is just an instant.

Last year, I hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim carrying my Nikon D300.

I recently switched to a Canon 5D, Mark II. It is quite a bit heavier, but I have still been carrying it in my hand.

My photo albums are at http://www.davemcclung.com

Shutterbug

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

I guess until DSLR's weight as much as an alcohol stove, or are manufactured out of titanium there won't be much use for them for modern AT hikers. I carry one though, exclusively for it's video capability's. I wouldn't hit trail without it.

I'm currently using an Olympus EPL1 interchangable lens (Micro 4/3) compact camera. It, or it's competitors, may be a good option for some. I can use my old OM system lenses, too, with a cheap adaptor.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 03-17-2012 at 12:38.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I'll be carrying a D5100 but I've been told I'm crazy. I just see the photography as more than half of my reason to be on a thru-hike. We'll see if I have to send home all my other gear in order to keep carrying it.
    "Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Images

I usually take my Panasonic GF1 with the 20/1.7 lens. Makes a nice compact package and the image quality is outstanding.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I take my D300 on most outings as well, however, lately I am looking into picking up a Fuji X100, same manual capabilities, just one lens to keep up with and compact.
    "If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
    -Fudd's first law of opposition.

My BLOG Site

I always take the DSLR for trips out west. I have a Canon 5D MII but have NEVER carried it on the AT. I have yet to miss it on the AT where I just carry my iPhone.

I have only hiked the AT from Springer to Damascus. I may change my mind up north and would certainly bring the 5D with me for Katahdin.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I used to carry a dSLR on day hikes, but even that got to be annoying. As Shutterbug said, I found I had to be carrying it at all times. Wearing it around my neck was painful so I would wear it across my shoulder/chest which meant I had to stop, pull the strap up and around my arm and then take the picture. Not to mention dealing with lens covers. Using a p&s is just more convenient. Granted I don't get pics that I would blow up, but I do get what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Maren View Post
    I used to carry a dSLR on day hikes, but even that got to be annoying. As Shutterbug said, I found I had to be carrying it at all times. Wearing it around my neck was painful so I would wear it across my shoulder/chest which meant I had to stop, pull the strap up and around my arm and then take the picture. Not to mention dealing with lens covers. Using a p&s is just more convenient. Granted I don't get pics that I would blow up, but I do get what I need.

I searched and searched for the best way to carry my heavy DSLR. I found the following: http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-N-11-Ba.../dp/B0000AB4NV

With these straps the weight is not on your neck and the camera is at the ready. It is also easily removed for tripod use. I love it.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I used to carry an SLR with the strap attached to my external frame pack. It worked well. With my current photo and backing gear, I may need a new idea.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

How about the Cotton Carrier Strap Shot? Here's a video from the company when they were running a contest to name it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcdT12hBLYY

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I often carry a DSLR -- I litterly carry it in my hand because the opportunity to photograph wild animals is just an instant.

Last year, I hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim carrying my Nikon D300.

I recently switched to a Canon 5D, Mark II. It is quite a bit heavier, but I have still been carrying it in my hand.

My photo albums are at http://www.davemcclung.com

Me too. Life's too fast to try to pull out your camera when you need it.

I really like my Canon 550D digital hd video camera.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've been carrying a Fujifilm X100. Has the same APS-C sensor as many DSLRs at a significant weight savings. It still ain't no compact, and it's autofocus can be challenging, but its IQ is phenomenal. I wrote about my search here:
    http://www.laughingdog.com/2011/09/b...ng-camera.html
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Journal Entries
    Images

I second LDog's recommendation of the Fuji x100. Great images with excellent low light capability. The only downside is that it is a fixed focal length camera (equates to roughly 33mm in a full frame 35mm DSLR). Here is a link to some of my images shot with the camera: http://wbchronicle.tumblr.com/post/2...eople-volume-1

Bear-bait

Fewer than 5% (source my own mind) carry an SLR camera (digital or otherwise).

I only saw one on my 100 mile section in early April from GA-NC (primetime thruhiker start). He had a 13lb pack, 8lbs was camera gear (shutter, was the trailname I think). Blazing fast out of the gate too.

++ New Posts ++