WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How to get to CDT trailhead in new mexico?

Hello, I'm trying to find information on how to get to the start of the CDT in new mexico, google searching have failed me completely. What is the name of the exact location or area? Is there any kind of transportation services that will take you there? Thanks.

The trailhead is in a remote location on a rough dirt road. Sam Hughs, of Hachita, shuttles people to the trailhead for a reasonable price. He also will put water in the cache boxes for you. Sam's number is (575) 436-2662. He does not have outgoing long distance service and can not return your calls, so keep trying until you reach him.

Depends on WHICH trailhead you want to get to. Seems like on cdt-l recently the trail angel in Deming said something (not so good) about greyhound service change in Deming, but barring that (?), Columbus would certainly be an easier place to get to, though sounds like the Sam Hughs approach for (I think) either of the other two terminus points would be a good choice too (Antelope Wells or Crazy Cook).
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

You might also try posting on cdt-l with your intended start date to see if anyone else will be starting at the same time.

When we did our hike in 2006, we were active in several forums, so we were offered a ride from someone on the forum who lived in Albuquerque. That is a long way from Crazy Cook and Columbus. Our ride fell through at the last minute (bike accident) and a few other forum members offered us rides - one lived in El Paso, one in Tucson and one in Albuquerque. At the same time, there were a couple of groups that were starting within a week or so that might have been options if we hadn't already bought our airline tickets.

Images

There's also a Facebook group for CDT2012. Might try there for a ride-pool.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

++ New Posts ++