WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Question Buying a new pack

I went to The outside world today. Looking at new packs.
    There selection is not the biggest. when it comes to hiking gear. So I would like some input.
    I'm thinking of getting a Gregory Baltoro 75. Dose any one use one and if so what do you think about it?

I have a z55 a good pack, but I switched to osprey exos 46.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Journal Entries

HiKen,

I looked at the Z55 I have always liked a bigger pack my old one was a 85+10L.(I'm a big guy)
    So your Gregory holds up good? I want this pack to last me years.

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't trust Gregory packs. Mine fell apart right away. Deuters are good. They're super adjustable, so your pack can fit your back perfectly. Also, you can take the straps off. You can also take the frame out and put the pack in a washing machine.
    David Smolinski

Quote Originally Posted by trucker2015 View Post

HiKen,

I looked at the Z55 I have always liked a bigger pack my old one was a 85+10L.(I'm a big guy)
    So your Gregory holds up good? I want this pack to last me years.
    Lots of miles on mine, no issues. A really good pack and lots of space.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Journal Entries

Wow from what I have read. Every one ether loves or hates Gregory packs,
    cabbagehead,
    Do you know of a pack by
    Deuters larger then a 3360ci I looked at there site and didn't see one maybe a older model that wouldn't be on the site anymore. (Big guy big pack)

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

[QUOTE=trucker2015;1264922].
    . .my old one was a 85+10L.(I'm a big guy). . . .
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

The ONLY Gregory packs that fell apart were the silnylon packs made years ago that were discontinued. Wayne Gregory is a personal friend of mine, for years I asked him to make me superlight stuff and he always refused because he feared the pack wouldn't hold up in the long run. But with the ultralight push in the late 90's he kinda caved and made those packs, which he never really wanted to make.

I used a Gregory exclusively for thousands of miles of hiking and have never had a single problem with their construction, if anything, the are extremely overbuilt, and much heavier than they probably need to be.

Gregory makes great packs, but there are others who have caught up these days. But anyone who knocks Gregory either doesn't have much pack industry knowledge, or they are basing it on those flimsy silnylon packs that Wayne never wanted to built in the first place, but felt like he had to.

I would strongly suggest checking out Osprey, Granite Gear and ULA as well

You could pick up the latest Editor Choice Award Backpacking magazine. It covers a lot of backpacks and seeing as I am in the search for a new one myself, found it very helpful!

Images

I had a Baltoro for a little while. Nice pack, well made, but very large and heavy -- far too large for my gear. If all your gear fits inside the pack, and it feels good on your back, then it's a fine choice. But if you don't have all your gear yet, you might want to wait and buy the pack last. There are plenty of excellent packs out there they weigh half of what the Baltoro weighs and can carry everything you need.

Any chance you can get up to Atlanta to REI, or to Neels Gap to Mountain Crossings? You'll get a much better selection of hiking gear.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Gregory has great lower back support.

Journal Entries

Try something made in the USA. Go to ULA.com Excellent, high quality ultra-lite packs. I think "ULA" is ultra lite accesries, but that's not important, the quality is.

Images

. . . .my old one was a 85+10L.(I'm a big guy). . . .
    Don't confuse a large volume pack (85+10) with the need for an appropriately sized pack to fit you. They are definitely not one in the same. You can get a large size pack (if that's what you really need) that has the appropriate amount of volume for what you're going to carry in it. Make sure you get professionally measured so that you can get the right frame size pack for you. Just because you're a "big guy", don't assume it's automatically going to be a large.

[QUOTE=Hooch;1265033]
    . . .my old one was a 85+10L.(I'm a big guy). . . .
    Thi sis what happens when you try to post to WB from your smartphone early in the morning when you're still half asleep, but bored.

Quote Originally Posted by sloger View Post
    Try something made in the USA. Go to ULA.com Excellent, high quality ultra-lite packs. I think "ULA" is ultra lite accesries, but that's not important, the quality is.
    www.ula-equipment.com
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sloger View Post
    . . . .I think "ULA" is ultra lite accesries. . . .
    Ultralight Adventure Equipment.

The ULA Catalyst is a good pack...with a large enough volume for winter hiking. I would seriously consider them, check them out online. They are well crafted, made in the USA (giving an American a job), comparable in price to a Chinese made name brand pack. The packs will still be relevant 20 years from now and importantly made by a thru hiker for hikers.

Journal Entries

I was thinking of running over to Neels Gap next weekend and taking a look.

Journal Entries

[QUOTE=Hooch;1265076]Don't confuse a large volume pack (85+10) with the need for an appropriately sized pack to fit you. They are definitely not one in the same. You can get a large size pack (if that's what you really need) that has the appropriate amount of volume for what you're going to carry in it. Make sure you get professionally measured so that you can get the right frame size pack for you. Just because you're a "big guy", don't assume it's automatically going to be a large.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Thi sis what happens when you try to post to WB from your smartphone early in the morning when you're still half asleep, but bored.

www.ula-equipment.com
    I don't use a big pack really do to my size. I like to do 10 to 15 day runs without resupply. being a big guy allows me to do that.
    I just got fitted. A pack is like shoes I'll never buy without trying it on.

P.S. friend don't let friends type half asleep.

Images

Totally ULA I have the Circuit would not change to another pack for anything sold my Osprey and only use the ULA now.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

I also have a ULA Circuit, and have owned a Catalyst...while they are 'good' packs, I wouldn't put them in the same category as say companies like Osprey.

I can't think of a single thing ULA does 'better' than Opsrey, I believe Osprey and to a less degree, Granite Gear, both make packs that have better suspensions, better cut shoulder straps, much better cut hipbelts, better compression, certainly better fit options and frame sizing...

HOWEVER

A Circuit is a 'very good pack' and weights 36 ounces...this is hard to get past, 36 ounces is very light for a pack with a decent suspension. So while I like my Aether 60 much better than my ULA, I use the ULA becasue it's about 18-19 ounces lighter.

So you need to understand what you 'want' out of the pack. I wouldn't want to carry 35lbs in a ULA, I don't think the pack would perform very well based on my criteria and expectations, however if you are putting 25lbs of stuff into a 6 pound Gregory...you are probably undermining yourself as 20% of your pack weight is the pack itself.

If you want to bridge the gap nicely, I absolutely love my Aether 60, just toss the lid to get the weight down under 4lbs and trip the excess webbing. If you want to go lighter, then Granite Gear and ULA are worthy of a look, if you want something that is tough, overbuilt, and will carry 50lbs through hell, Gregory is perfect.

It's less about 'what pack' and more about what you want to get from the pack.

++ New Posts ++