WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Leaving gear on the trail

I figure if you pack it in "Pack It Out",your item might not get picked,so it just lays there till another person picks it up,if at all.To me ....that's just littering.What do you think?either way,right wrong or indifferent.

If you want to give away some of your gear, use the hiker boxes in town.

leaving gear on the trail is wrong, same with leaving it in shelters
    someone sould kick the **** out of bill bryson
    he thought it was funny enough to write about it! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    If you want to give away some of your gear, use the hiker boxes in town.
    yes that would probably be a better choice,yet each year here (2),I hear stories of stuff all over the trail......I just don't get that.JM2C

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    someone sould kick the **** out of bill bryson
    You assume that he actually did any of the stuff he wrote about.

(Oh no! Here we go again! ) For what it's worth I did like the book.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Hey I like the book too,but not sure in what section to find it Fiction/non-fiction.

someone should kick the **** out of bill bryson
    I think your aloud to say gear

Images

You brought that mess of junk - - pack it out please

sad that the most popular / published book about the AT was about a couple of cheating yellow blazing litterers - - I'm of great humor but I truthfully didn't think so much of the book - - much more a fan of Barefoot Sisters ......

the book was ok
    i was just messin around :-)
    haven't read the bare foot sisters yet

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    You brought that mess of junk - - pack it out please

sad that the most popular / published book about the AT was about a couple of cheating yellow blazing litterers - - I'm of great humor but I truthfully didn't think so much of the book - - much more a fan of Barefoot Sisters ......
    And don't forget the thievery of some "eh hmm" shoelaces........that's punishable by honey and cut up feather coat,and tied to a tree near a low hanging branch complete with hornets nest,or at least a good tongue lashing.

the book was ok
    It's all good you smilled.I hate when I forget to smile.

Images

the book was ok

"ok" is a fair as long as you say it with a sarcastic and dismissive tone of voice

Images

about leaving stuff on the trail, i think your preaching to the choir. the people that need to read that are the loud, gun toting, drug using, bad dog owner, littering day hikers. and they are not on WB.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    about leaving stuff on the trail, i think your preaching to the choir. the people that need to read that are the loud, gun toting, drug using, bad dog owner, littering day hikers. and they are not on WB.
    They're not??
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Great thread! Also my favorite view.

The Approach trail gets a lot of piles of stuff...my last time there I saw underwear, socks, two camp axes (Walmart type), a black trash bag with assorted clothes, aluminum pot and lid, some paperback books, etc. I was amazed the first time...

Images

It's a scummy move, and a sign of a negative personality if you ask me.

"This piece of gear? Yeah, I don't want it. It's trash by my standards... but maybe it'll be awesome to someone else... so I'll just leave it here and my charity will make someone else totally happy."

That's the feeling I get from it, anyway.

Then again, I did grab a LEKI trekking pole from a hut in the Whites, once. I used it to ape a sword fight with someone else,. It made me totally happy.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I figure if you pack it in "Pack It Out",your item might not get picked,so it just lays there till another person picks it up,if at all.
    It does get packed out eventually. Last year we hauled about 100 pounds of trash and/or discarded gear off the trail as we day-hiked on the AT. We're not 'officially' tasked with this task like some others may be (ridge runners, trail club members, etc.)...we just don't like to see the trash and discarded stuff. For us, it ruins the natural experience of being out there. We love it when we come home and don't have any items in our trash bag! That's a good day in the woods. This year, I think we are already up to 20 pounds. The stuff we haul out is either thrown away or cleaned and given to the local thrift store or put in a hikers box.

Agree with all but... is scored a thermarest and used a lame blue tarp to sew up a bear bag for a friend that didn't bring one...
    "Life is too precious for an intelligent person to have patience with stupid people."
    - Unkown

Quote Originally Posted by royalusa View Post
    It does get packed out eventually. Last year we hauled about 100 pounds of trash and/or discarded gear off the trail as we day-hiked on the AT. We're not 'officially' tasked with this task like some others may be (ridge runners, trail club members, etc.)...we just don't like to see the trash and discarded stuff. For us, it ruins the natural experience of being out there. We love it when we come home and don't have any items in our trash bag! That's a good day in the woods. This year, I think we are already up to 20 pounds. The stuff we haul out is either thrown away or cleaned and given to the local thrift store or put in a hikers box.
    That's awesome,I don't like to see trash on the trail either.While I don't live in your area,and have to deal with all those discards you do down there,"Trash is Trash" no matter where you find it,good job!Royalusa keep fighting the good fight!cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++