WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I work on the trail just north of Hot Springs and find all kinds of stuff at the shelters.If I can't burn it,it gets packed out.Last year I hiked into Erwin and there was junk at shelters all the way.Sad but true it seems to get worse every year.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    I work on the trail just north of Hot Springs and find all kinds of stuff at the shelters.If I can't burn it,it gets packed out.Last year I hiked into Erwin and there was junk at shelters all the way.Sad but true it seems to get worse every year.....
    Just curious,are there signs at the shelters asking not to leave discarded items on the trail or shelters?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Just curious,are there signs at the shelters asking not to leave discarded items on the trail or shelters?
    Put the other sign up that says to read this sign?
    You can't stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcrainbow View Post
    Put the other sign up that says to read this sign?
    You can't stop it.
    Or a sign that says"Post no signs"as that is litter.

Images

Ten years ago I often found Thru-hiker trash stuffed under shelters and even under logs right on the trail. There's a metal 55 gallon drum on the trail in Virginia, I forget exactly where, but the drum is out in the forest and obviously isn't emptied but people empty their hiker trash in it. You know why? Answer: They are people and people are lazy especially when no ones looking.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

The most discarded gear I saw was as far from Springer as you can get. Every shelter in the Hundred Mile Wilderness looked tike a thrift store after a tornado (my favorite discard was a Russian gas mask). Someone had abandoned a fully loaded pack on the side of the trail.
    After the first few thousand miles,
    a man gets limber with his feet.
    Sgt. Buster Kilrain, 20th Maine

Attached Images Attached Images
    After the first few thousand miles,
    a man gets limber with his feet.
    Sgt. Buster Kilrain, 20th Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Tim View Post
    Yeah,I always bring one of those.....What the

Thankk those who pick up the mess found in shelters, in campsites ,on the trail,and at trailheads. As one who is charged with taking out what is left it is an impossible task for one or two people . We all have to contribute to the solution. I hope we can influence more rookies to the correct wilderness ethics to reduce the volume you see in high use areas as Georgia. In the mean time lugging out others mistakes is part of the responsibility of those who use the wilderness and know better!

Images

OK, going to go out on a limb here, just back 2 hours ago from my Spring AT hike, Bland - Damascus, HOT one.............the Grayson Highlands are amazing, pizza deliver at the Partnerhship Shelter as advertised.

My brand new MSR Sweetwater filter was not working right, day 2, tons of water coming out of the sides of hills & mountains right now in this area..........left it in a shelter in the nice new MSR mesh bag, trail magic to another!

Right before I got into Damascus I left my Leki poles by a tree for a Northbounder (with no poles to use).......hopefully finds them and finds new friends.

From my view, some equipment trail magic here, not trash left behind. My $20 says that it put some smiles on faces.

As for my trash-trash , left at The Place with kind extra donations to help them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    My brand new MSR Sweetwater filter was not working right, day 2, tons of water coming out of the sides of hills & mountains right now in this area..........left it in a shelter in the nice new MSR mesh bag, trail magic to another!
    Maybe I'm missing something, but if it's NOT working right how is that trail magic for someone else and not your broken equipment to dispose of properly yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by miloandotis View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but if it's NOT working right how is that trail magic for someone else and not your broken equipment to dispose of properly yourself?
    I'm wondering if those are the same Leki poles with the broken locks from the other thread.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    I'm wondering if those are the same Leki poles with the broken locks from the other thread.
    I was just coming back to ask the same question!!! I know "One man's trash is another man's treasure" but not left on the trail where if no one wants someone's broken s**t (that no one who likely might need it most likely doesn't have what is needed to repair it first!) someone else has to pack it out.

Right before I got into Damascus I left my Leki poles by a tree for a Northbounder (with no poles to use).......hopefully finds them and finds new friends.

From my view, some equipment trail magic here, not trash left behind. My $20 says that it put some smiles on faces.
    If I came across any of these items, I'd be trying to find the owner who misplaced them, or leave them there thinking someone might come back for them (assuming they were nonbroken, nontrash, useful gear). Better to wait till you see a NBer and ask them if they would like your poles, or filter, than just leave them. Good intentions, but maybe not the best implementation. You really can't argue with pack it out IMO.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

OK, going to go out on a limb here, just back 2 hours ago from my Spring AT hike, Bland - Damascus, HOT one.............the Grayson Highlands are amazing, pizza deliver at the Partnership Shelter as advertised.

As for my trash-trash , left at The Place with kind extra donations to help them out.
    Honestly Qel Q,I'd think someone was of getting water (filter)or off taken care of business(poles),but that little extre somethin somethin...........in my pocket.......just kiddingI don't know man each one of us has to make that call,It's gonna take time to spread the word.

Would it not better to put things you do not want in hiker boxes...at least it "tells" someone that its up for grabs...if I found stuff on the trail I tend to think a hiker forgot it and look for them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++