WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Now if you want to protect the food, and the bear, you need to hang it well. Very very very well.
    Correct. Hanging, as it is practiced, kills bears..........and leaves the hiker short on food.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 04-09-2012 at 21:44.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

The bear population has exploded here over the last few yrs. More bear hunting season would be one answer IMHO
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

El Sordo
    Images

Well, come on over and get one for us. We do have a bear season.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

And that, in my opinion would be the solution to the problem. Pick off the problem bear, problem solved. Let the problem bear raise a few cubs and it's game on.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    Well, come on over and get one for us. We do have a bear season.
    We have a bear season here to (50 plus taken in one weekend in the cohutta wilderness) but it is very short! It needs to be extended IMHO, or at least a winter and spring hunt. They seem to be more active in the spring.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Stranger: In answer to your direct questions: I do not know how many attempting thru-hikers have been thru Neel Gap this year....nobody does. We have a log book that frequently goes unsigned, no matter where we put it. As to the percentrage of folks passing thru who've lost their food....again, I have no idea. And I absolutely agree with you in that I suspect that most of the tree-hung food that has been lost this year was hung low or hung poorly, but not being a personal witness to this, who knows....As has been stated previosuly, we have no "set" policy here at Neel Gap... we merely answer people's questions. We tell them what we know about risk from bears, especially as regards specific end-of-day destinations, campsites, etc. But do we tell people what they should do with their food? No, we do not. If they wish to join the two dozen people who've hung their food and lost it, well, this is their choice. One of the great things aout Trail Life is that people get the chance to decide for themselves what works for them. That being said.....when people say such things as "Common sense indicates that you're better off without food in your tent...", well this may be perfectly true in Montana. In North Georgia in the midst of thru-hiking season, there are statistics that would argue with this, but as I've said already, people can read and learn facts and then do with them whatever they wish. As a study, here's this: I know of a dozen people camping within two tenthsd of a mile of here tonight.......some will bearhang. Most probably won't. I'll certainly check in tomorrow, after breakfat time, with a fatality report for those who think this is a really burning issue.
    Apologies if my questions seemed a little too literal...they were more or less meant to demonstrate that the vast majorty of hikers have not lost their food, regardless of which method they use, I'm assuming this is correct.

I don't have a problem with people sleeping with their food, again...it's a time proven method of many years in Grizzly country. I can see how those with less experience or understanding of bears would see this as risky, at best it's counter-intuative, but as for dangerous? I don't think so, not in the Appalachians.

I just wanted to point out that a rock solid, PCT hang is going to get the job done in 98% of circumstances...but it will take the average northbound thru-hiker hundreds of miles to hone this skill. Clearly sleeping with your food is working as well, then there are bear canisters and hiking through without stopping...plenty of options for hikers.

Jack, is this regulation being enforced? Any reports of tickets issued?

1. I absolutley agree with Stranger in suspecting that most of the "tree-hung" foodbags were taken because they were improperly hung.
    2. To Max: To date, and I've been working long hours and have been here all day for weeks, nobody (i.e zero people) have reported into anyone here at Neel Gap
    that they were cited, fined, etc. for violating the bear cannister regulation. This doiesn't mesan it hasn't happened. All I'm saying is that we haven't heard about
    it happening, tho whether this is to due to lenient nice-guy rangers turning a blind eye to obvious ignoring of posted regulations, or more likely, the absence of
    rangers up there altogether, well this is anybody's guess. But if anyone's been cited, fined, arrested, etc....well, no, we haven't heard about it.

Are there any regulations against hanging a food bag and shooting a bear that comes after it? And when is GA's bear season? It's not exactly sporting, but it solves a problem.

they bait 'em in maine

http://daysbearbait.com/

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    they bait 'em in maine

http://daysbearbait.com/
    Not just Maine. I know that they bait them in Minnesota.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Are there any regulations against hanging a food bag and shooting a bear that comes after it? And when is GA's bear season? It's not exactly sporting, but it solves a problem.
    The purpose of the regulation is to avoid exactly what you are suggesting.

But its not camping, its hunting.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Whoever said you hang your food to protect it????? That certainly isnt what we were taught in scouts. You hang your food to protect YOU .

Common sense says that YOU have to be safer without the food in the tent.

Now if you want to protect the food, and the bear, you need to hang it well. Very very very well. I

In actuality, the amount you are safer may be very small, but it should be safer nonetheless, for you.

I will suggest that if you had food in your pack, to a nose as sensitive as as bears (better than a bloodhound) , everything you have still has residual food smells on it, your tent, your sleeping bag, your clothes, etc all smell like food to some extent. The reason the bear leaves it alone, (most of the time), is that it can tell its not strong enough odor to be worthwhile, and he just really doesnt want anything to do with you.
    Unless I misunderstood your point, I have seen a Nat Geo on bears where it broke into a car to get the bubble gum in the back seat.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Unless I misunderstood your point, I have seen a Nat Geo on bears where it broke into a car to get the bubble gum in the back seat.
    This is a perfect example of the BS I was talking about before. "where it broke into a car to get the bubble gum in the back seat"???? Paleeeeeeze

That is such incredible BS I don't know where to start. Did they interrogate the bear after the breaking and entering and get him to confess to having his eyes on the gum?

Nah, it couldn't be that the bear had been rewarded before for breaking into a car and just happened to find gum.

Journal Entries
    Images

Chin - that Nat Geo video was taken at Yellowstone and I have no idea what you are rambling about -

Here's the Clingman Dome video that similar

From Yosemite Website.

Yosemite National Park is home to hundreds of American black bears; these bears have a voracious appetite. They also are incredibly curious and have an amazing sense of smell. This combination tempts them to seek our high-calorie food. Sometimes bears that routinely get our food become aggressive, and sometimes have to be killed as a result. By storing your food properly, you can prevent a bear's unnecessary death. Please note that these food storage regulations have the force and effect of federal law: Failure to store your food properly may result in impoundment of your food or car and/or a fine of up to $5,000 and/or revocation of your camping permit.

Bears will break into cars to investigate any object that smells or looks like food.

What is Food?
    "Food" includes any item with a scent, regardless of packaging. This may include items that you do not consider food, such as canned goods, bottles, drinks, soaps, cosmetics, toiletries, trash, ice chests (even when empty), and unwashed items used for preparing or eating meals. All these items must be stored properly.
    How to Store Your Food...
    In your car
    You may store food inside your car (out of sight, with windows completely closed) only during daylight hours. You may not leave food in a pickup truck bed or strapped to the outside of a vehicle at any time. Do not store food in your car after dark: use a food locker. Remember to clear your car of food wrappers, crumbs in baby seats, and baby wipes. Even canned food and drinks must be removed from your car.
    Food lockers are available at Curry Village parking lots and at nearly all trailhead parking areas.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-11-2012 at 22:51.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My "problem" is the the claim that the bear broke into the car for the gum. Where is the the "gum" evidence? It's like the BS about breaking into a tent "because of a candy wrapper".

I am SURE that every car in that parking lot had a french fry under the seat too.

Of freaking course they are going to break into an unoccupied car with food in it.

Thanks for making my point with that.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 04-11-2012 at 22:43.

Images

WOO, that was great! I have seen a similar video from Yosemite Parking lot.... Mama bear was instructing Booboo how with a flic between glass and pillar---------- DINNER!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Chin, I watch a documentary shot in national parks that deal with problem bears... its the drive by media - bear breaks into a car with no food in it... the family left the car and the kids put the freshly chewed gum on the back seat... no idea that would cause a bear to break in... tear up the seats. The bear goes by the smells - even the smallest smell. I don't sit around watching a lot of these videos but it was in the last two years or recent.

I really take offense to your use of "BS" as you are calling me a liar.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post

I really take offense to your use of "BS" as you are calling me a liar.

I am NOT calling you a liar. I think you believe what you posted...............

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
++ New Posts ++