WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    The solution to this dilemma is don't buy $100 trail runners. Sierra Trading Post right now has probably 20 pairs of trail runners under $50 bucks. Sign up, get a 35% off and $2.50 shipping coupon and take your pick of $30-$35 trail running shoes then you can buy 5-7 pairs of trail runners per one pair of boots.

I just bought these Columbia shoes for I think $27. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/columbia-sportswear-kaibab-plus-trail-running-shoes-for-men~p~4425n/?filterString=mens-hiking-shoes~d~361%2F&colorFamily=01

Before that I found some at Endless.com (free shipping to and back if you don't like, same as Zappos.com) The North Face that I really like I think I paid less than $40 for them.

The bonus to me is these are normal looking shoes so you can wear them out and about, on vacation then seamlessly transition to a day hike...all blister free.

My question to the boot users...be honest...are you constantly managing blisters? Almost everyone I know that uses boots are always dealing with blisters (and hot sweaty feet). Since I switched to trail runners, I haven't even had a hot spot much less a blister. I didn't know that it could be that way until I switched. No need for camp shoes, hardly any need to take your shoes off at lunch breaks to cool and dry your socks (still do but dont have to). Its just so much more...like normal. Your footwear just becomes something on your feet not something that needs to be managed.
    I don't pay $100 for runners, but that is right around the average price for them. Got my last pair on zappos. Free next day shipping and free returns.

Never gotten blisters in any footwear other than dress shoes (knock on wood), but have had hot feet in boots and longed for trail runners after a long dry day on the trail. I usually don't take my shoes off until camp regardless the footwear. Carrying camp shoes is sometimes a PITA, but I do that when wearing trail runners too...or go barefoot.

My wife (ultra-marathon runner) is quick to blister and found that socks are a more important factor than the shoe.

But you do get my point about longevity, right? I've got a super heavy pair of Montrail ATs that are going on 16 years old. Probably well over 3000k miles of Alaskan/Canadian bush and mountains on them. Soles are pretty worn, but they are comfortable as heck. Will I wear them mid summer on the LT? No, but then again I don't wear trail runners on a mid winter snowshoe over-nighter.

Boots and trail runners are different species with different strengths and weaknesses. Knowing what they are and using each at the correct times will make hiking much more enjoyable.

Images

"Boots and trail runners are different species with different strengths and weaknesses. Knowing what they are and using each at the correct times will make hiking much more enjoyable.
    I agree. I have Zamberlan 760's which I use for the Rocksylvania trails which are closet to me. They are great in the winter, fall and spring. I walk through mud and trails that are like streams and stay dry. For summer on less rocky trails I am wearing Saloman XA3D Ultra 2's. These are the non gortex ones and breathe very nicely on a hot day.

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

Am wearing these North face http://www.rei.com/product/811478/th...ing-shoes-mens last year on the JMT I wore some Salomon http://www.rei.com/product/818511/sa...ing-shoes-mens with great success cross all the creeks and snow fields on the JMT with no blisters my only complain about trail runners shoes is the is I can expect at best is 300 mile for one pair. Going to give the North Face a try on the JMT this year and hope I can get over 500 miles in one pair.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post
    I don't pay $100 for runners, but that is right around the average price for them. Got my last pair on zappos. Free next day shipping and free returns.

Never gotten blisters in any footwear other than dress shoes (knock on wood), but have had hot feet in boots and longed for trail runners after a long dry day on the trail. I usually don't take my shoes off until camp regardless the footwear. Carrying camp shoes is sometimes a PITA, but I do that when wearing trail runners too...or go barefoot.

My wife (ultra-marathon runner) is quick to blister and found that socks are a more important factor than the shoe.

But you do get my point about longevity, right? I've got a super heavy pair of Montrail ATs that are going on 16 years old. Probably well over 3000k miles of Alaskan/Canadian bush and mountains on them. Soles are pretty worn, but they are comfortable as heck. Will I wear them mid summer on the LT? No, but then again I don't wear trail runners on a mid winter snowshoe over-nighter.

Boots and trail runners are different species with different strengths and weaknesses. Knowing what they are and using each at the correct times will make hiking much more enjoyable.
    I get where you are coming from. I always assume most of the comments on this site are aimed towards the AT and hiking in fairly decent (no/low snow type weather). I think for the vast majority of hikers in these types of conditions on established trails, they would benefit from shoes vs leather boots.

I defer to your experience though because if you have 3000K miles in Alaska and Canada I could certainly learn a thing or two from you (and am jealous

My question to the boot users...be honest...are you constantly managing blisters? Almost everyone I know that uses boots are always dealing with blisters (and hot sweaty feet).
    I'm one of those old guys who always wear boots. Maybe because I live in New Hampshire and our trails and conditions favor boots. Ideally ones with a steel shank in the sole so you can toe step up steep, rocky trails.

Blisters? I hardly ever get blisters. I've meet pleanty of hikers with trail runners with nasty blisters. Boots (ideally gortex) might make the feet slightly damp from sweat, but thats not nearly as bad as having soaking wet socks all the time from trail runners. But they dry quick you say - but not if it rains for 3-4 days in a row.

Have I tried trail runners? Yes I have and never again.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm one of those old guys who always wear boots.

Have I tried trail runners? Yes I have and never again.
    I am in the older age group too and have come to the exact opposite conclusion.

In nearly all of these boot/shoes threads I state the same thing. You are just not going to get information on what works for YOUR feet in one of these threads. You are going to have to find out what works for YOU through trial and error (maybe "trail and error" is better). If you are lucky you won't go through too much $$$ in the process.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I get where you are coming from. I always assume most of the comments on this site are aimed towards the AT and hiking in fairly decent (no/low snow type weather). I think for the vast majority of hikers in these types of conditions on established trails, they would benefit from shoes vs leather boots.
    You are correct on a well worn and maintained trail. Up above MA the AT tends to be a lot wetter/muddier/rougher/colder (along with the LT) and that's where the boot can have an advantage.....and even that depends on the weather and time of year.

Like many other gear choices, we all have opinions and preferences.....but there is no "correct" answer to this debate.

Images

I've used both, and prefer boots. Never had a blister in the boots or trail runners, probably because I've ensured the right fit and sock combo. My boots have lasted many years. I wore a hole in the interior lining of a new pair of trail runners on a 50 miler,,, and REI took em right back. Other trail runners didn't fair much better. Plus, w/ my stature (6'5" 275#'s), I feel much more stable in boots while wearing a pack and traversing mountains. Like a skyscraper needs a good footing,, this Big Dawg needs good sturdy boots!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

I have very old and very heavy Vasque mountaineering boots that I am now certain will outlast me. I bought a spare pair way back when and they have not seen daylight yet.

I'm planning a thru-hike though so the weight concerns me. I am looking to Merrell's Moab Mid Ventilators (1 lbs 15 oz for the pair)
    I am now concerned at how long they will last, particularly poor construction as I have read a limited number of separation horror stories.

As for blisters or any foot problems - I've never had any either but I always ensure a good fit and good socks as well. (Those 5+ lb boots felt like house-slippers for comfort right out of the box.)
    Last edited by Winds; 03-29-2012 at 02:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    I'm planning a thru-hike though so the weight concerns me. I am looking to Merrell's Moab Mid Ventilators (1 lbs 15 oz for the pair)
    I am now concerned at how long they will last, particularly poor construction as I have read a limited number of separation horror stories.
    All I can say is that I hiked the last 800 miles NOBO in a pair of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    All I can say is that I hiked the last 800 miles NOBO in a pair of those.
    Well hopefully you can say you loved them? And would recommend them highly?

Well hopefully you can say you loved them? And would recommend them highly?
    Yeah absolutely, my pair, my girlfriends pair and those of everyone I met who had a pair on the AT loved them. Jen and I switched to them because of all the people we met who recommended them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    Yeah absolutely, my pair, my girlfriends pair and those of everyone I met who had a pair on the AT loved them. Jen and I switched to them because of all the people we met who recommended them.
    Great, one more question and I'll let this rest (here anyway): Did you use insoles? I've looked at the green Superfeet, but don't know if I can handle that rigidness. Maybe if I put gel over that?

Great, one more question and I'll let this rest (here anyway): Did you use insoles? I've looked at the green Superfeet, but don't know if I can handle that rigidness. Maybe if I put gel over that?
    I'd recommend insoles, I ended up with some plantar fasciitis in my right foot because I didn't use them.

I'd also recommend Sole instead of Superfeet. http://www.yoursole.com/products/footbeds/

My girlfriend managed to crease the plastic on the bottom of the green Superfeet in one day of wearing them. Granted she did trip and come down hard on that foot but still. Sole's are more flexible and you can heat them and get them to conform to your foot shape skipping much if not all of the miserable break in process of superfeet.

We've both ended up going with Sole based on the recommendation of another thru hiker and so far they have been great.

Ok, I would hope to find an outfitter that carries Sole somewhere near me to test them.

I will thru at 6' / 205 (and fit!) - which Sole soles do you recommend?

Thanks for the information, I appreciate the input.

I reccomend a good fitting, high quality leather boot, no gtx. I use Scarpa, Italian made or my older Fabiano Rios.

I will thru at 6' / 205 (and fit!) - which Sole soles do you recommend?
    Sorry, I guess that page isn't real user friendly, here's a chart that will make more sense: http://www.yoursole.com/products/foo...-all-footbeds/

As far as I can tell by looking/bending them the support layer is the same for all of them. There are a couple feature extras that the two on the far left have but it mostly comes down to how thick the cushion layer is.

Ok, I would hope to find an outfitter that carries Sole somewhere near me to test them.
    REI carries a range of thicknesses in the sporty versions: http://www.rei.com/search?query=sole So hopefully there's a REI near you. My girlfriend has the blue version, Velvet (the hiker who recommended them to us) had the red ones and I got the thin pair so they will also fit in my work shoes. As for which pair you should get, I have no idea. Try them on and see what fits, cushion is nice but make sure there's room in your shoes for your feet to swell.

Oh speaking of which at the various gear stores they tend to fit shoes on the snug side but as a thru hiker that may not be the right answer for you. If you haven't already I'd really recommend checking into how thru hikers like their shoes to fit.

“Will I wear them mid summer on the LT? No, but then again I don't wear trail runners on a mid winter snowshoe over-nighter.”
    I do. Not saying there’s a right or wrong answer either, but just to be clear, trail runners can do a whole lot with a bit of mental adjustment and experience.

“I always assume most of the comments on this site are aimed towards the AT and hiking in fairly decent (no/low snow type weather). I think for the vast majority of hikers in these types of conditions on established trails, they would benefit from shoes vs leather boots.”
    I agree with the second sentence above, but again, for me and at least some folks, use of shoes isn’t restricted just to “favorable conditions”.

“I'd recommend insoles, I ended up with some plantar fasciitis in my right foot because I didn't use them.”
    If you’re really going to do a lot of miles, consider investing in a visit to a foot doctor and getting custom orthodics. The visit and making of the molds can be expensive. As a thru-hiker, I appreciate that I can as a follow-up bring back the plaster molds and get a new set of orthodics for not nearly as much money --- especially so if it boils down typically to just resurfacing the hard plastic core of the orthodic.
    If you’re fortunate and find out that off-the-shelf orthodics like superfeet work for you, wonderful. Note, however, that since few of us are foot experts, it’s a little hard to know whether they work for you short of buying a pair and then doing a number of miles in them. And note also that for me at least, I can be fine for up to, say, 50 miles or so before certain issues crop up.

“If you haven't already I'd really recommend checking into how thru hikers like their shoes to fit.”
    I think this varies too, but of course the general rules of thumb are to go one to two sizes bigger than normal, and look for a wide toebox. The sizing up issue isn't something to do, at least not so much anyway, unless you anticipate doing so many miles in a relatively short period that your feet physically change as a result. I think that a relatively wide toebox is good for most people regardless.

One advantage of shoes over boots is that not only is it cheaper to try out different shoes to ultimately find a current model that really works for you, but if you wear them outside your house in the testing enough that you can’t return them, a “close but no cigar” pair shoes are at least useable later as just … shoes. Boots are something that I think you really really want to get right the first time. This is something that I find that I can't do very well.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

I do have a REI relatively close. And yes, the Sole website entirely sucks as they don’t link their information well.

After looking at both Sole and Superfeet, I found an immediate concern.

Sole brags that if you DON’T wish to heat mold the insole, no problem, just wear and they will adjust themselves within a week of scaled use. See the problem here? With my overall weight on the trail, that harsh abuse will then flatten those out and make them useless in less than a month.

I am NOT seeking insoles for just a cushion effect but rather support issues (especially around the heal). I will purchase my shoes at least 1 size large, so there will be too much movement in the heal for my preferences. Therefore I will want decent insoles.

The Superfeet green works on an unmoldable hard form under the heal to mid-foot. But they do little to cushion.

Yes, I will keep working on this, and try them out as much as possible in actual hiking before I get to the A.T.

Thanks for the information!

I get that you're looking for support, I got the kind that are really just supportive and Jen got the ones that have the most cushioning on top of the support layer. That's what I was trying to explain.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you won't squish them flat, actually I'd be surprised if you didn't eventually. What I'm saying is that at least in our limited experience the flattening process happens faster in the green superfeet.

superfeet.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++