WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: does it matter?

Default does it matter?

Haven't worn a backpack in 35 years. Things are sure different now! Here's my concern. Bought a pack at an outfitter. The young fellow that fitted me didn't seem too familiar with the procedure and even got a fellow employee to check his choice for me. The pack was a little pricey, but it's an Osprey and seems to be good quality. And if it lasts me the amount of time I'll need it, then I'm happy. However, when I got home and checked into it, I see I got a woman's pack. Is the the fit different enough to matter? The pack in question is an Ariel 65. Nice pack, although I'm thinking it may be on the heavy side. Without trying the pack on a few hikes with a full load, I don't have the ability to decide if it fits well. Forget that it's a woman's pack and get hiking, or take it back and keep searching?

Jon

I'd take it back.
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

Images

That's not OK. Take it back. "Ariel" should have been a clue. Isn't that the Little Mermaid's Name? I think you should try the My Little Pony pack or maybe the Strawberry Shortcake pack.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

OK, so you don't like the name. But the question is about the fit. Does it matter?

Images

Thumbs up Welcome back to the trails

If it fits and serves your propose, what does it matter what the mfg calls it.
    Now if the "name" appears on the pack, you might want to remove or otherwise
    cover it up. It's thing like that, that can lead to an unwanted trail name.

Welcome back to the trails

Images

Women's packs are designed for women, you will not be comfortable. The proportions are set differently. Mainly the length of the torso to hip ratio. My wife had a small men's pack and it would not sit properly on hips and shoulders so she got one designed for women and it fit perfectly. So I think the vice versa is true.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I wouldn't trust people who fit me with a woman's pack and needed help to do it. I would go to a reputable outfitter. You could even take a day trip to neels gap and have them fit you. You'd see the trail and get a good pack. I'd take it back.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

http://www.trailjournals.com/shadesofblue

Thanks, you confirmed my thoughts. Guess I'm finished with Half Moon Outfitters.

I have used a womens Lowe Alpine pack for 13 years. It fits fine. I got a lighter pack for this thru attempt. I hope it fits as fine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shades of blue View Post
    I wouldn't trust people who fit me with a woman's pack and needed help to do it. I would go to a reputable outfitter. You could even take a day trip to neels gap and have them fit you. You'd see the trail and get a good pack. I'd take it back.
    Take the time to make the trip to Mountain Crossings at Neel's Gap. IMO they are a knowledgeable, reputable outfitter that will provide you with good advice and a lightweight, well fitting "men's pack". They will also load the pack with weight and allow you to wear it for awhile to see how it fits and feels when full of gear. A comfortable and well fitting pack will make your trip much better. Just my $.02.

AT 2012

for someone just returning to hiking, i suggest you use as a guideline that the pack absolutely should not weigh more than 4 pounds, and probably shouldn't weigh more than 3 pounds and an ounce or two, no matter what rational load you carry (hard to justify carrying more than 35 pounds, really). probably 2 to 3 pounds is the target pack weight if you are thoughtful about your load -- like 20 to 30 pounds total load-- which is a target i'd encourage. i'm not talking ultralight crazy here... just comfortable backpacking.
    Lazarus

An old adage comes to mind"if the shoe fits"But your question is does it matter.And again,an adage comes it me"If it matters to you,then it matters".While it is true a women's pack is designed a little different,the changes can be huge for the wearer.The hip belt is usally flared at the bottom,to accept the larger hips.The shoulder straps curve in a way to allow a women a little more comfort.Typically iv'e noticed women's packs seem to be on sale more.Now there is no reason what so ever to return it if it is comfortable to you,and that is my anwser.And yes,I wear a womens pack and it fit's like a dream,but I can also wear pink shirts.

2014 Thru-Hiker in Training

Yeah, I'd have to agree with everything that has been posted. I would definitely take it back. The torso length, shoulder straps, and hip belt are all going to be wrong for you, and if you were to keep it, it won't take long out on the trail to realize that you've got the wrong pack. I'd swap it out for either the Aether 60, which is the men's version of the Ariel pack, or go with the Atmos 65. Either of those would be good bets if you want to stay with Osprey packs.

Unfortunately it sounds like the poor kid did not know how to properly fit a pack...as well as the "other guy" who was there. I would return it, and calmly tell them of their mistake...and look for an REI or like some suggest a Mountain Crossings. Don't be shy to ask of the guy or gal helping you of their experience....most hikers love telling you about it. REI or Mountain Crossings hire people with expertise and have hiked rather than high school kids with good intentions.

Khike

I say, in all good humour... The My Little Pony Pack!!!! Sorry, couldn't help it. Kevin

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

If you are close to the outfitter, take it back and get another fitting suggestion. Sales associates can't know everything, and some may not be into gear and are only working for a paycheck. Give them another chance to fit you, and then exchange or return based on how you feel about your 2nd visit.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

++ New Posts ++