WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default It's warm up here.

Sugaring season came early this year and was over just as it got started. River ice is mostly gone with few ice jams reported. Ice out on Joe's pond in Danville is predicted any day now. With very little snow pack this years melt has been uneventful so far. Trees and bulbs are starting to bud (which may be bad if we get some normal VT March weather). The good thing is that if the weather stays like this, mud season will be over by mid April.

There's no hard cold and very little rain in the extended forecast so this year may make up for the ugly hiking season we had last year.

Was up near the trail a few hours ago pulling taps/buckets and it was like a mid summer day....minus the leaves on the trees or bugs.

It's just plain bonkers. While I'm enjoying the beach weather in March, I'm truly frightened for the long term. Near 80 in Hardwick today.

Crazy. Trying to imagine what it will be like in another 10-20 years.
    Might have to move to Labrador.

Yep, it's scarry. First day of spring felt like the first of summer up here in the Whites. Between the short season and high fuel prices, real maple syrup lovers will be in for sticker shock soon.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    ....real maple syrup lovers will be in for sticker shock soon.
    Awful season. Shoulda started sooner. I know the big operations were boiling in January and ended up close to average production for the year.....but not my little hobby operation. Ended up with a lot of grade B and of course the only people that want that are my fellow VTers who make their own.

78-85 today and tomorrow. Supposed to cool off over the weekend, but not down to where it should be.

Have no fear. Records show it was like this in 1902.

Images

Europe had one rough winter this past season.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Yup, where we have had a warm winter, others have had it very bad. Just natural cycles. Should make a nice long hiking season this year!

It's only March 21st and we've exceeded records for both March, and April, by several degrees.

25 degC, (76 degF) at the Saint John Airport here.
    Previous high for March was 17.5, and for April it was, and still is for now, 22.8.

The globe has only heated up about 1 degree, so far, so this is pretty messed up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    It's only March 21st and we've exceeded records for both March, and April, by several degrees.

25 degC, (76 degF) at the Saint John Airport here.
    Previous high for March was 17.5, and for April it was, and still is for now, 22.8.

The globe has only heated up about 1 degree, so far, so this is pretty messed up.
    LOL, one degree since we have recorded history. Nevertheless, the sky is falling to some people...

Temps will be back to normal by the end of the weekend, don't go selling the house and moving north!

fear not, the snow cometh..................

It was almost below freezing last night. You would almost think it was March.

Snow forecasted for midweek.

It's been spitting snow here all day, but nothing is sticking. Summers is over, weather is back to normal - at least for this week!

I went up Lowe's path to Gray Knob this weekend. The only ice left was on the trail in places up high. A real PITA, as there were short 100-200 foot sections which needed traction to get past. Had to stop and put the microspikes on and off half a dozen times. To make it worse, there was a light mist/drizzle and high 30's temps on the way down. At least it was a nice day going up Saturday...

I ran into that sort of problem last year on the Fundy Footpath last March, with icy sections on the side slopes facing south, and no real way around. I turned back. This year it might be clear. Not sure. But I would bring something like microspikes and maybe some rope.

Also some way of cutting branches to get over or under blown-down spruce trees, as again on severe side slopes its often pretty treacherous to go around. It would take awhile to cut through the branches, but someone has to do it.

Back down in the teens tonight. Winter is back for now.

In the past 48, we have had wind, snow, hail or very large sleet pellets. It gets cold at night but not that bad. The daytime warms up fine. Im sure there is a small amount of snow on the higher ele's but certainly not like normal. Will be interesting to see how muddy it ends up being this spring and summer. I tend to think it is going to be a wet spring and early summer.

I'm loving the weather!!

Show off - I woke up to a couple of inches of snow this morning, but it all melted by late afternoon. Suppost to get more tonight. After nearly a week of summer like temps, its tough going back to "normal"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++