WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pack it out ethos

When I started backpacking in 1976, I really bought into the "leave nothing but footprints" approach because it seemed necessary to preserve our wilderness areas. In all these years, I have packed out my trash. I even saved up my nickels and bought a Svea 123 stove--I've never even lighted a fire. I have the great fortune of living near the AT in East TN, so I get to hike the trail often. I have taken to carrying a bag to collect trash left on the trail--cans, bottles, wrappers. Today I hiked in to Moreland Gap shelter from Dennis Cove. I found 4 empty propane canisters. It bothers me to think that folks that are serious hikers on the AT feel free to leave garbage in the shelter, finding it so inconvenient to pack out the empty canister--but willing to leave it for a volunteer to pack it out. How could we instill the "pack it out" ethos?

cattle prods?
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

Coat with honey and peanut butter and tie to a tree.

Great ideas. My hiking buddy and I carry extra bags for small trash items...but we cannot keep up with all the trash we find. Those that litter drive us nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by astraikis View Post
    Coat with honey and peanut butter and tie to a tree.
    Don't forget the low hanging branch complete w/hornets nest.Honestly,don't have that answer to that question,I think you either get...or you don't very sad indeed.I always visualize that indian with the tear running down his face.Perhaps another movment like what we had in the late 60's early 70's....like "give a hoot don't pollute".

Serious hikers aren't carrying propane.
    After the first few thousand miles,
    a man gets limber with his feet.
    Sgt. Buster Kilrain, 20th Maine

Quote Originally Posted by papawhisky View Post
    How could we instill the "pack it out" ethos?
    It's all Bill Bryson's fault. Ever since he wrote that book and included the description of Katz throwing all that crap off the side of the mountain -- gotta admit, it was funny as hell -- people don't seem to see the problem with leaving stuff; I bet some even tried to reenact the scene in the book.

It's an easy solution; all you gotta do is write a really funny book with a funny story of packing out.... O.K., maybe not so easy...

Journal Entries
    Images

Is this serious? Or are you part of the dark side?

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    It's all Bill Bryson's fault. Ever since he wrote that book and included the description of Katz throwing all that crap off the side of the mountain -- gotta admit, it was funny as hell -- people don't seem to see the problem with leaving stuff; I bet some even tried to reenact the scene in the book.

It's an easy solution; all you gotta do is write a really funny book with a funny story of packing out.... O.K., maybe not so easy...
    Now if that guy was Arrested for littering,and writing from a jail cell (sort of a autobiogrphy)....that might be funny!

Sorry, I don't agree. I think it is a cultural issue. Here in East Tennessee the roadsides would be filthy if if were not for the drunk drivers being assigned "public service" work.

Quote Originally Posted by Choo Choo:1269476

Sorry, I don't agree. I think it is a cultural issue. Here in East Tennessee the roadsides would be filthy if if were not for the drunk drivers being assigned "public service" work.
    I think Rocketsocks was making an Arlo Gutherie reference. I still think the pickle song was funnier.

Quote Originally Posted by astraikis View Post
    I think Rocketsocks was making an Arlo Guthrie reference. I still think the pickle song was funnier.
    I don't believe I've ever heard the "Pickle song"But then thee old brain cells aint all there either.

Based on the last few weeks of posting here at White Blaze I think what is needed is not lessons on leave no trace, giving back, proper hiking, etc, but rather, on basic logic with a specific focus on fallacies.

Journal Entries
    Images

Rs is funny -
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Could it perhaps be that hiking the trail and even thru hiking have become so popular and the "hip" thing to do that its attracting some of the wrong people? The ones that just use it and show no regard for it's preservation or for the experience of those who come after them.

Images

Might as well try for World Peace.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana AT05 View Post
    Based on the last few weeks of posting here at White Blaze I think what is needed is not lessons on leave no trace, giving back, proper hiking, etc, but rather, on basic logic with a specific focus on fallacies.
    Ya mean like what dick's doing the dumping?

I don't leave nothin' behind but poop and foot prints.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket socks View Post
    Ya mean like what dick's doing the dumping?
    Or did you mean Deductive or inductive reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    I don't leave nothin' behind but poop and foot prints.
    I hope you don't mean your stepping in your poop.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++