WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Powdered flavoring in small quantities

Anyone know of a source for unsweetened powdered flavoring?

There are plenty of places where large quantities can be purchased, but that's hardly the way I want to go while I'm experimenting, and might never be worth it just for me anyhow. So far the smallest quantity for powder that I can find is 1 gallon.

Kool-aid has some possibilities, but only for fruity flavors.

Journal Entries
    Images

AHH I have a wealth of info - but you need a better explanation.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I currently use a custom meal replacement drink. The flavoring comes from a small dose of protein powder, which was the primary reason for adding protein, and thus the flavoring is highly diluted. I want to make my drinks tastier and have more variety that I can add separately, especially if I get tired of chocolate. There's a possibility that I might sell it in the future, but it hardly seems worth the effort, at least if it was marketed towards hikers.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ok - I get it, unfortunately most powders have chocolate or PB - check out chili or carob... or perhaps old fashioned Ovaltine - or mix it up and add Nido and another flavor that is concentrated liquid.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

here is one site http://www.minimus.biz/ here is one for gatorade http://www.hydrationdepot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardo Rodriguez View Post
    here is one site http://www.minimus.biz/ here is one for gatorade http://www.hydrationdepot.com/
    We used mimimus.biz on a vacation trip, they have lots of individually packaged items, not just food related.

One of best minimus products are half-ounce virgin olive oil foil packs. I have not found these anywhere else.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Use crushed freeze-dried fruit.........
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Just Tomatoes has fruit powders.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    One of best minimus products are half-ounce virgin olive oil foil packs. I have not found these anywhere else.
    I began packaging my own spices and oils last week using drinking straws....not my idea but I'm sold!

I get virgin olive oil, salad dressings, and sauces from PackIt Gourmet in backpacking size.

You can go into any grocery store and buy a box of Crystal Light packets that go into a bottle of water for like $2 for a box of 12. I personally think they are all too strong, so I split one packet into 3 bottles of water. Kool-aide brand (in my opinion) is wayyyyy too sweet, and not particularly good. Crystal Light makes a Mango Peach Green Tea that is pretty awesome. I premix them the night before because the powder tends to clump up when put into really cold water.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

Images

I think I found almost the perfect solution. This would allow me to flavor drinks in very small batches. It's Emergen-C. I didn't know they were made in many different flavors.

Super Orange
    Raspberry
    Cranberry-Pomegranate
    Lemon Lime
    Pink
    Mixed Berry
    Black Cherry
    Mango Apricot
    Berry Blue
    Tropical
    Acai Berry

These are all limited to fruity flavors, so it'd probably only work for people that like fruit flavored milk. Fortunately that's a taste I acquired in Kuwait.

Depends on what you mean by "unsweetened." ALL TO OFTEN, when the packaging says unsweetened or no sugar added, that means the powdered concoction does contain sweetner, the artificial kind - saccaharin, Splenda(sucralose, NOT THE SAME AS THE NATURAL SUGAR SUCROSE!, marketing is at work here), aspartame, etc. This type of marketing is rampant among diabetic grocery store products labeled with statements like "no sugar" or "no sugar added."

I take some powdered green drinks and Emergen-C(only the lemon lime containing 500 mg MSM and 1 g Alpha Lopic Acid and he Mixed Berry containing Vit C and the 1 g ALA) on the trail for flavorings, probiotiocs, protein, vitamins, electrolytes, anti-oxidants, muscle recovery, enzymes, phytonutrients, etc.

Leaftye, all those different Emergen-C flavors have some different ingredients(vitamins, supplements, etc) that affect more than just the flavor.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "unsweetened." ALL TO OFTEN, when the packaging says unsweetened or no sugar added, that means the powdered concoction does contain sweetner, the artificial kind - saccaharin, Splenda(sucralose, NOT THE SAME AS THE NATURAL SUGAR SUCROSE!, marketing is at work here), aspartame, etc.
    You're right about that.

I had mentioned Kool Aid in my first post, but only because they sell smaller packets that require sweetener/sugar to be added separately.

Emergen-C does have three types of sugars in it: cane sugar, fructose and maltodextrin. It sort of gets a pass because I already drink Emergen-C occasionally while hiking because of the electrolytes, and it's sweetener with a full load of calories, and the convenient size would allow me to have different flavors throughout the day.

The core ingredients of my powdered drink either don't come with any sort of sweetener or sugar, or can be ordered without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Leaftye, all those different Emergen-C flavors have some different ingredients(vitamins, supplements, etc) that affect more than just the flavor.
    I'm calling that a bonus. Those extra ingredients are probably better than nothing.

Minimus.biz has True Orange, True Lemon & True Lime packets. Still fruit flavored, but they meet your other requirements.

If you're adding sugar and you have some lead time, you can infuse flavor into the sugar. Vanilla sugar is really easy (just add split vanilla beans and shake occasionally), but you could also infuse other spices, herbs or citrus.

You might also be able to use this technique to infuse flavor straight into your meal replacement drink.

++ New Posts ++