WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GoLite Jam 70, anyone tried it?

I made the classic mistake of buying to big and heavy of a bag initially and am refining my gear.

I'm interested in the GoLite Jam 70, but I'm a little worried that it won't haul a heavy load for a few days if I decide to "overpack" to say 45 or 50 lbs for a few days.

I plan on staying below 35lbs, but even that may be too heavy for this pack, I can't find any info about maximum capacity.

My other option is the new REI Flashpack(Large) which is about a pound heavier, but I feel it will hold up a little better maybe.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have the Pinnacle which is basically the same but without as nice a hip belt. I like up to 30lbs, 35 if I have to. I would not reccomend it for weights above that, It is great for bulky gear but lots of food,fuel, and water would be uncomfortable in my opinion. If I had to carry 40 + pounds even for just a couple days I'd bring a pack with a good suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth & Wasabi View Post
    I have the Pinnacle which is basically the same but without as nice a hip belt. I like up to 30lbs, 35 if I have to. I would not reccomend it for weights above that, It is great for bulky gear but lots of food,fuel, and water would be uncomfortable in my opinion. If I had to carry 40 + pounds even for just a couple days I'd bring a pack with a good suspension.
    Thanks for your input. I was thinking along the same lines.

Images

I have a Golite Trek that I have used for years. They said 30 pounds comfortably and they meant it anything over that and it is noticed.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I did the AT with the Pinnacle last year, which is essentially the same thing. I don't think the pack will fall apart at 45lb of gear (mine didn't fall apart anywhere), but it will be pretty uncomfortable. I ate and drank like a maniac to get the weight down anytime it got to 35-40lb. If you're thru-hiking and your base weight is 15-18lb, I'd recommend it, because other than once or twice--like the Smokies, out of Damascus, or the 100 Mile Wilderness--you won't have 20lb of food in it.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

I know I'm late to the party, but if you haven't purchased your pack yet, avoid the Flash series from REI. I own a Flash 65, which won so many accolades, but has fallen apart after 250-ish miles on the A.T. going north (GA, NC, TN, NC, VA...section hiking, etc.). I used it a few times for camping purposes with friends and while it was a 30+ load, it started ripping at the seams around the area where the hip-belt and pack meet. I sometimes think I overloaded it, but if you're coming out of town with a big load of food and water, it should be able to go a few days as you gradually lighten. I love REI, but the Flash series, in my opinion, failed after a short while. Check out www.sectionhiker.com for a good review of the flash series. I kind of think REI is recycling the name "Flash" just to keep people coming back. It seems to me any pack associated with Flash is going to require some explaining.

Happy trails! -Ernest Snomin

Did the CT this summer with it. It can hold alot more then is comfortable to carry. I love it, but you gotta be a smart lightweight hiker to use it comfortably.

As a general rule, a frameless pack should not be worn when loads are expected to exceed 25lbs for a prolonged period. Of course, there is a give or take of 5lb depending on your personal fitness etc. But above 25lbs you start to see torso collapse due to their frameless design. At this point, your shoulders carry the majority of the burden. Me personally, I would not be caught dead with a frameless pack when my load might go to 30lbs or above. Stick with a basic framed pack at that point (light framed packs that can support these types of loads include osprey exos, ULA ohm, ULA circuit or ULA catalyst, gossamer gear mariposa or gorilla). The granite gear crown 60 has a very very flexible framesheet but many find it comfortable even at 30lbs.

++ New Posts ++