WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    Mmm. . . what about enjoying your hike? I have no desire to push my limits hiking in that way. I want to have fun. That said, I know there are challenging sections of the trail, but I don't have to do the really steep stuff AND do a 25 mile day in the same stretch. I'll leave the "pushing the limits" stuff ONLY to those that feel the need or desire.
    so walking those extra few miles you didnt think you could has no potential to be enjoyable?

I don't believe in limits or sides,bottoms,there always another bottom.Sky's the limit.when I get tired,I just set down.It's all good,and I dig the Doppler effect I get off johnny gotta get there....what ever

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Hiking for the purpose of reaching that moment where you might die if you keep going is irrational.

--Kirby
    That's putting it extremely mildly. Welcome back Kirby
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Old Johnny Muir was trekking thru the uncharted Sierras, often solo. If he wasn't careful he could get himself into a situation where no good exit existed. The AT is a totally different type of trip.

If you enjoy hiking until you cripple yourself, go right ahead. Part of why I hike of to enjoy the use of my body, to feel the pleasure of exertion. However that exertion comes with a cost (and those cost keep getting more inflated as I get older).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Appleseed View Post
    Thats why I beleive most hikers will never realize there potential.
    What potential are we talking about here? Backpacking's just walking through a natural area while carrying enough stuff to set up an evening campsite; I don't see much potential there to accomplish, frankly.

Potential hiking ability, and/or whats deep down inside(mojo). Sorry, I live by the words of the great Emilio Estevez in Young Guns,"You gotta test yourself everyday gentlemen" And I really enjoy my time hiking long hard days, its not "fun" its fulfilling to my needs/wants, thus happiness ensues. I guess im a weirdo, no wonder I want to hike silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Appleseed View Post
    Potential hiking ability, and/or whats deep down inside(mojo). Sorry, I live by the words of the great Emilio Estevez in Young Guns,"You gotta test yourself everyday gentlemen" And I really enjoy my time hiking long hard days, its not "fun" its fulfilling to my needs/wants, thus happiness ensues. I guess im a weirdo, no wonder I want to hike silent.
    You have different goals than many of us. That's okay. Please don't get yourself badly hurt.

Journal Entries
    Images

I find certain limits come natual with the aging process. Some not so natural like closing up the mind to new ideas.

Journal Entries

"make friends with pain, and you'll never be alone" -Ken Chlouber another fun ultra runner quote.
    Know you body, the more experience you have the safer it is to push yourself I have found from running.

My friend who im hiking the AT with in a few days wants to really push himself, such as 2 weeks with out resupply or 50 miles in a day. Am I crazy if I tell him good luck and let him have at it and fall back?
    Please visit my blog and Let me know what ya Think please!
    >>>>>>>http://hikeul.blogspot.com/
    <<<<<<<

If you have limits, you aren't trying hard enough.

I used to run ultra races and thought I reached my limit. I literally had to pick up my legs with my hands, pull up and place the leg up a step, then pull myself up using a rock, then repeat for the next leg.
    Problem was I got dehydrated by mile 18 and this happened at mile 63.
    That climb was my last as I couldn't make the cut off time.

But, was that my limit?
    I think if a forest fire would've taken place, I still would've found a way to keep going.

Didn't know we were allowed "limits"

Garlic: the puking is a sign but doesn't stop you.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by timmy_toes View Post
    "make friends with pain, and you'll never be alone" -Ken Chlouber another fun ultra runner quote.
    Know you body, the more experience you have the safer it is to push yourself I have found from running.

My friend who im hiking the AT with in a few days wants to really push himself, such as 2 weeks with out resupply or 50 miles in a day. Am I crazy if I tell him good luck and let him have at it and fall back?
    You're crazy if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    If you have limits, you aren't trying hard enough.

I used to run ultra races and thought I reached my limit. I literally had to pick up my legs with my hands, pull up and place the leg up a step, then pull myself up using a rock, then repeat for the next leg.
    Problem was I got dehydrated by mile 18 and this happened at mile 63.
    That climb was my last as I couldn't make the cut off time.

But, was that my limit?
    I think if a forest fire would've taken place, I still would've found a way to keep going.

More likely, you would have been identified by dental records.

Images

i think ive pushed and found my limits, but im 55 and have been backpacking for over 30 years. this question is a lot tougher for the young pups. with maturity comes a different perspective in terms of commitment, and generally the younger less experienced hiker will "punk out" a bit earlier than a more experienced hiker, simply because hes afraid to push too hard, doesnt know what to do should he actually get in over his head..
    for myself, when i plan my section hikes, i look for some of the most difficult trails i can find, but always line up alternatives and possible loops should i find im getting in over my head.

Images

My high school wrestling coach pushed us pretty hard. We did conditioning drills at the end of every practice that lasted anywhere between 10 minutes and one and a half hours, and you never knew. This was at the end of a three hour practice mind you. When we were all at about the point where we thought we couldn't go any long longer, he was fond of saying, "Gentlemen, you will be amazed at what the human body is capable of, if you let it". I never once saw anybody quit during practice. I saw a lot of people puke though. It's a great sport that can teach you a lot about perserverence and discipline. I'm sure any ex-wrestlers who are also long distance hikers can see the similarities. There is a huge difference between can't and won't, and it is sometimes appropriate to put on the brakes in either situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    My high school wrestling coach pushed us pretty hard. We did conditioning drills at the end of every practice that lasted anywhere between 10 minutes and one and a half hours, and you never knew. This was at the end of a three hour practice mind you. When we were all at about the point where we thought we couldn't go any long longer, he was fond of saying, "Gentlemen, you will be amazed at what the human body is capable of, if you let it". I never once saw anybody quit during practice. I saw a lot of people puke though. It's a great sport that can teach you a lot about perserverence and discipline. I'm sure any ex-wrestlers who are also long distance hikers can see the similarities. There is a huge difference between can't and won't, and it is sometimes appropriate to put on the brakes in either situation.
    One time at practice I had the top position and blew a "Snotrocket" on my buddies back before the whislte.He was so pissed,I think he reached his limit.He kicked my butt and the whole time I was laughing my (It's)off,I even spotted a little.True story no It's.

Images

I had a buddy that would "check your oil" or use the ol' 5 on 2 if he was getting beat. That was my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    Mmm. . . what about enjoying your hike? I have no desire to push my limits hiking in that way. I want to have fun. That said, I know there are challenging sections of the trail, but I don't have to do the really steep stuff AND do a 25 mile day in the same stretch. I'll leave the "pushing the limits" stuff ONLY to those that feel the need or desire.
    The thread is about pushing you limits...therefore that's what people are talking about. If you struggle to hike 25 miles a day, then you shouldnt' do 25 miles a day.

For some people, that can easily be done in 9-10 hours, and they would still have 2-3 hours to sit around and smell the roses, for others it would take 15 hours and be living hell - only you can decide what is right 'for you'.

I would get very frustrated hiking if I hiked 12 mile days and spend half the day sitting around NOT hiking.

Everyone has their own limits, but no one can say hiking 30 miles (20-25, whatever) per day is not enjoying your hike, the better way to say it is "if I had to hike X miles per day, I wouldn't enjoy my hike".

To each their own, HYOH

Journal Entries
    Images

Pushing your limits to me means your not enjoying your hike. After i retired from the military i just wanted to enjoy the views/outdoors ON MY TIME and we do that. We was on a hike from NOC to Fontana and had to cut it short due to my GFs knees started hurting her,so we setup camp at the next campsite. The next morning we had BKs, packed up and headed back to NOC. It wasn't what we had planned,but it was a great hike.HYOH

Journal Entries
    Images

Ran into Ward once. Tell you this much he sure could put away some food. He was fine by me.

Great stuff to chew on. Ed Rod had a question, are you there for the right reasons? To be honest, im not sure if im out there for the right reasons, im not sure of the scale. Like most people, I got demons to face, random thoughts to mull over, goals, looking for a great sunset/sunrise, and the overall freedom I feel out there. To wake up and think, I might be real far away by tonight! As Muir said,"To cleanse yourself" by getting dirty, I think thats an oxymoron. Ive always been facinated with human limits, the thought of enjoying myself and nature, in situations where most people would be in agony, has always appealed to me, perhaps I enjoy being a human oxymoron! Shout out to the Veterans out there, these are the real heros, freedom angels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++