WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Eureka spitfire I Vs. SMD Skyscrape

I would like to have more specific information regardting the pro's and con's regarding the two posted tents.

1. Eureka spitfire I

2. Six Moon Design Skyscrape

Each tent is available for about the same prict +/- $125
    Each tent is about 34 oz, this is the posted weight on mfg. web site, smd I assume does not include poles, spitfire has alum. poles.

I am about to set out on a solo hike and have narrowed down my purchase to one of these two tents.

please share your experience.

Images

I have the Spitfire and have no complaints with it. I found it easy to set up and I had adequate room inside for me and my gear. The only thing I leave outside are my shoes, and the vestibule is not large. I have slept in it in rain but not a real bad storm. I haven't had any problem with quality or anything breaking or coming apart. I bought the optional footprint for mine as well.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

I can't speak for the Spitfire, having never owned one, but you can read my comments on the SMD Skyscape X (the cuben fiber version of that tent) in the Shelters subforum on this site. Here's the link: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ultralight-but I've included some pictures with my review, which might help you get a better feel for the Skyscape. (All three models have the same basic construction, they only differ in the fabrics used.)

My Spitfire 1 with poles, stakes, and stuff sack weighted in at 53 oz.

I would go with the Skyscrape ESPECIALLY if you use hiking poles but even if you dont.

My Spitfire 1 with 6 ti stakes, a 2 mil plastic footprint, and no stuff sacks weighs 3 pounds even. Very inexpensive, dependable tent. I've now "graduated" to a Lightheart solo at two pounds.

thanks to all who have replied, it seems there can be not wrong choice as long as i am out in the woods. thanks

++ New Posts ++