WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyPack627 View Post
    Ive given up a nice cozy sleeping pad for a foam pad. Saved me a pound though. As far as a pillow I use the flexair inflatable one..weighs like sub 2oz..i cant use clothes cause they smell too bad. PU
    Yeah im sure your pillow ain't real found of the behind yer ear.Hope it dosen't let you down...slowly PssssI guess I'm going in another direction cause I bought this pillow that weighs Approx.14oz.that turns into my jacket(down),so I got rid of a 6oz.pillow,but picked up another jacket....seemed like a good idea at the time.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...but picked up another jacket....seemed like a good idea at the time.
    Inquiring minds want to know--does the jacket have pockets?
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know--does the jacket have pockets?
    Y yes,yes it does (4)I'll tell em you asked about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    It boils down to one thing- comfort.
    Agreed...What are you willing to part with for weight and what will you consider a luxury without complaints. I like to be warm too, if it means a few extra ounces to know my hands are warm in March, April and May on the AT, I'll carry it

Images

Quote Originally Posted by House of Payne View Post
    What are you willing to part with for weight and what will you consider a luxury without complaints. I like to be warm too, if it means a few extra ounces to know my hands are warm in March, April and May on the AT, I'll carry it
    Very true. If I don't get a decent nights sleep, I am no good on the trail the next day so it does me no good to skimp to the point of being cold or to use too thin or hard a sleeping pad. The good thing is that with modern equipment you can stay comfortable in virtually any above 10 degree F environment and still stay "ultralight" or darn close to it. It takes some creativity, trial and error, and some cash but it can be done. I've managed to get much more comfortable when hiking, and just as comfortable in camp as I was when packing 50+ lbs. Overall though, ultralight is really more about evaluating what you truly need to be safe and reasonably comfortable. Each persons margin is going to be a little different. Here is kind of an extreme example of it:

http://www.adventurealan.com/2-4_index.htm

A few posts were talking about not sacrificing pack suspension for weight. There is some truth to this, but as your pack lightens the rewards of a plush suspension diminish. If my pack weight is below 10 lbs (2 nights or less for me), I don't notice the difference between my plush Dana Design pack and a school book bag. Get up around 15-20 lbs (3-5 nights for me) and the suspension of good ultralight packs are still reasonably comfortable making the weight trade off worth the ultralight pack for me. 25 lbs or more (7 days or more for me) and I start to really notice the difference between true high quality suspension with internal frame and ultralight frameless stuff that I've tried. However, despite a section requiring about 25 - 27 lbs of pack, I'm still going ultralight on my planned JMT thru-hike. The reason is that its only one section requiring that much weight in consumables and that weight will drop daily by 2 lbs or so.

I had a Prolite 4 3/4-sleeping pad I really liked so many years. It was comfortable and warm, if it had a somewhat high volume to pack. I sacrificed it to a NeoAir XS (summers, in the high mountains) and an Exped DownMat 7 XS (shoulder season and winter) for the smaller volume and less weight. I gained a smaller volume pack, plus comfort and warmth.

I feel like this about my waist pack/day pack and unplanned overnight:

It's not really a compromise so much as the optimization of multiple variables, to maximize whatever it is that you are going for. Also, when it ends up not only optimal, but also beautiful...
    ~JAK
    Now, that Gossamer Gear offers their waist belt, separately, I thought I would test my concept of a waist pack/day pack and unplanned overnight more than I have before.

I have other waistpacks. I started with my waistpack made to hold a roll-top dry bag. I put my Oware AsymTarp 1 and TiGoat Bug Net Bivy and Brooks Range Elephant Foot Sleeping Bag in a Sea to Summit Laundry Bag with room to spare. I don't see why I couldn't use a Gossamer Gear waist belt with an eVent Sil Ultra-Duty PackLiner or ZPacks Pack Liner Dry Bag perhaps. One side top to side bottem adjustable strap or shoulder straps are available. I could select a more heavy carry waist belt from Mountain Hardwear and more heavy carry shoulder straps are available.

This waist pack idea worked out. I think I will purchase the Gossamer Gear waist belt.

I think it will be optimal and beautiful.

Those of us who sleep cold are definitely at a disadvantage when it comes to UL gear.
    ~heavyfoot
    I presently have a Polar Wrap balaclava I am replacing with the Polar Wrap Half Mask because I need to have a separate hat to regulate temperature better in mild weather. The Polar Wrap is my secret weapon for keeping condensation off my down sleeping bag/sleeping quilt and off the tarp/tent and I feel warmer because in inhaled breath is warmed by my exhaled breath.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    That pretty much says it all. And comfort is different for everyone.
    A bike touring friend once replied to the question asked..."How can you be comfortable doing that?"..."It's what I am comfortable doing."

Images

i build a lot of campfires. on longer trips i miss taking my saw or hatchet that comes with me for overnighters/weekenders...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    i build a lot of campfires. on longer trips i miss taking my saw or hatchet that comes with me for overnighters/weekenders...

I'm glad I'm a section hiker!
    Wouldn't want to end up on the wrong end of your hatchet!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

there's something very macho about having a hatchet in the woods

that and splitting firewood to get a really nice fire is pretty excellent..
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeTomorrow View Post
    I miss my GF but boy did that lighten my load!
    heard that...

I "sacrificed" 3.5lbs off my backpack weight, 2lbs off tent weight, 1.5lb off my sleeping bag weight, probably 1lb off my stove/pot weight, .5 lb off sleeping pad weight, 2lb off shoe weight.
    for
    a backpack that holds as much and fits better, tent that is simpler, sleeping bag that is warmer and packs smaller, stove/pot that works as well with less fuel weight, sleeping pad that is 1" thicker and 1000 times more comfortable, shoes that fit better and keep my joints happier.

Hello all, first post here. Newbie to this forum, not to backpacking.

To answer the OP, I honestly don't feel like I miss anything from my traditional camping days 10 years ago to now when I go UL or close to UL. My husband got me into it, he is much more into it than I am, he has done several SUL trips on his own. I envy him because he can deal with the cold better than I can. I was fine with getting my base weight down, but I doubt I will get my clothing worn weight down much.

But honestly we have a much better time backpacking now than before, and are more comfy now than before. I would not sacrifice anything because there is simply no need for my needs and goals. I suppose for some people, like if you were a serious photographer (like a friend of mine), you are never going to go UL because of your goals and needs while backpacking. Lucky for me, I am fine with taking pictures with my cell-phone camera or my small digital camera, no tripod, no big zoom lenses, etc. Oh, and I don't need lots of pockets on my clothing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++