WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Help with REI Dividend!

Just realized I posted this in the general forum instead of this one ... so I'm reposting it here. Sorry if thats the wrong thing to do ... I wasn't sure. :/

Hi all!

Just got my REI Dividend in the mail - about $100 (I spent last year buying almost everything I'd need for a lots of practice hikes and eventually a thru-hike, heheh).

The one thing I still need is a new backpack. My current one is old (so now a little too small for how big I am) and heavy. I thought that with the dividend and the 20% off coupon it'd be a great time to pick up a new pack.

I'm trying to keep my my weight under 25 lbs ... 30 lbs max, so I'm thinking I'd probably like an ultralight pack.

My question is - what pack should I get? I really dont' know whats good that REI has.

About me: I'm 6'3" - 6'4" (it always seems to vary) and ~175 lbs or so. So fairly thin and tall.

I've had my eye on the ULA Catalyst for a while, but REI doesn't sell them ... and I'd really like to take advantage of the dividend.

I've heard/read that the Flash 65 is good, and I could get it for free at the REI outlet with the dividend + discount. Are there any other packs I should look out for?

Thank you all in advance!

I have the old model Flash 65 and it's very nice. I'd recommend going to REI, finding someone there who really knows the packs to measure you, and trying on as many as possible until you find one that feels great. They can load it up with weight and you can walk around the store with it for a while.

When you get it home, load your gear into it and go for a hike or three. If it doesn't seem to be working for you, take it back.

Images

The choices at REI are fairly limited with anything lightweight with regard to packs: I believe that these are the main choices: Osprey Exos 58, REI Flash 62, Granite Gear Blaze 60, and possibly Osprey Atmos 65. Osprey Exos is the lightest and Atmos is the heaviest. I am probably going to get one of the above with my dividend also. My Aether 70 is just too heavy. Happy shopping.

Images

Zarzak, Couldn't find your other post so I'm responding here. You can get cash for your REI dividend and spend it on the ULA Catalyst.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

I was reading that the REI Flash 62 is sort of underwhelming, especially since the Flash 65 is still available in the outlet.

The Blaze 60 is definitely looking solid ... but its quite a bit more. Is it worth it?

I second the REI Flash 65. Just got mine in the mail today. Large size boosts it up to 3lbs, but you could still dump the lid and packsheet to save on weight. The fit works great for me: 5"11", 200lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    Zarzak, Couldn't find your other post so I'm responding here. You can get cash for your REI dividend and spend it on the ULA Catalyst.
    Good call, thank you!

There is also the 20% off REI coupon to take into account, however.

For me that brings down the Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 pack (for example) from $230 to to $184 ... and with the $100 off (which I could also go to a ULA I guess) thats only $84. Compared to $250 -> $150 for the catalyst (or $225 -> $125 for the circuit).

I guess the question then becomes what is worth it for the price ...

The REI Flash 65 would be free, the Granite Gear Blaze 60 would be $84 (the osprey is similar), the ULA Catalyst would be $150 (or the circuit for $125).

I am in a very similar spot. My Palisade 80 is overkill now that I've replaced most of my gear with lighter/less bulky alternatives. At the top of my list are the Osprey Kestrel 68, Osprey Atmos 65, and Gregory Z65. My biggest concern is being able to fit a BearVault 500. Not sure it will fit in the Atmos. I should be about 35-38 lbs with food and water.

If you're looking at the Granite Gear Blaze 60 you might also want to check out the Crown 60. Similar design, but the Crown is quite a bit lighter and a little cheaper.

I'm looking at the Osprey Atmos 50. The Atmos has been proven a great bag by the research I have done plus Osprey is just a badass quality company. Im 6' 6'' 230 and have an Osprey Either 85 that is just to heavy for the thru hike I am planning for 2014 (yes im that excited but have to graduate college first!). Anyone have any problems with the Atmos 50?

++ New Posts ++