WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Backpack food sources?

Where are you guys finding stuff that's normally seen in hotels/restaurants?
    I'd like to take a bagel, for instance. It would be nice to have honey or jelly in those little restaurant packs (like fast food ketchup comes in). I've heard of people eating peanut butter out of some sort of squeeze tube, too. Where do you get this type of thing? Walmart just sells jars and tubs and the ubiquitous plastic bear full of honey.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

The last 2 times I've been to Chikfila I just ask for honey. They have it in packets. If they don't give me enough I just wait a minute and ask for more!

The little packets don't contain hiker quantities and create lotsa trash.

Packets do cause more trash. I typically take them on short hikes. If I'm out for longer than a week I just bring the whole bear of honey (usually half full though)

They do cause more trash, but for some items they make sense. Mayo, relish and other products that require refrigeration when the larger package is opened are some exceptions.

I agree on the extra trash. Squeeze tubes for peanut butter are a pain in the arse (ever try to clean one?). By the end of my thru hike I was consuming 2 large jars of PB a week.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NickDezern View Post
    The last 2 times I've been to Chikfila I just ask for honey. They have it in packets. If they don't give me enough I just wait a minute and ask for more!
    I didn't know that. Sounds great. I know bojangles has jelly in little squeeze packets, but that means I have to eat at bojangles, which I try and avoid.
    Thanks for the replies. Im not thru-hiking, so I dont need mass quantities of these things. On a three or four night adventure it would be nice to get up and quickly eat a bagel with a little jelly on it or something, especially if weather or an impatient group thinks i am taking too long getting out my stove and making grits. A couple of squeeze packs would be great, and as long as I pack out the trash and throw it out, they have got to be pretty light and compact once empty.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Last time I was at Wal-mart, they sold small individual squeeze packets of peanut butter. I could be wrong, I think thay had some unusual flavors and might have been organic. My wife bought a few for lunch at work. Jiff also comes in single serve tubs available in just about any supermarket.

2012 NOBO AT Hiker In Planning Hairball's Avatar

I bought some of the peanut butter packets. Organic and low fat. Kinda defeats the purpose lol. Glad I only got 4.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Fast food places have them, Taco Bell for hot sauces, McDonalds for ketchup, jelly, salsa, KFC or ChikFilA for honey (or honey flavored substitute), Arby's for horseradish or BBQ sauce, Wendy's has malt vinegar now with it's fish sandwiches. Buy something and grab a few packets while there, just don't try to resupply your whole thru-hike on one visit.

Journal Entries

If you will be on the trail more than a couple days, forget the small packets. Except for things that spoil or are used minimally like mayonaise or hot sauce.

PB and nutella are staple foods, not condiments.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

If you don't want to rely on your local fast food joint, try this site:

http://minimus.biz/

++ New Posts ++