WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default VA 42 4 day parking spot

I'm completing my planning for a hike this spring and need some advice regarding a safe location to leave a vehicle for 4 days. We (8 of us) will start at Pine Swamp Branch shelter and hike south to a point in the vicinity of Jenny Knob. I'm told by a well informed source that the parking spot along SR 611 is not a great place to leave a vehicle.
    Is there a location on VA 42 but off of 611 or 608 that I cold leave a vehicle that is not likely to get trashed or stolen?
    I really need to have the vehicle very close to your end point so that we can start driving back home (northbound) immediately after we complete the hike.
    I'm going to drop off my group at PSB, drive to Jenny Knob, park the vehicle and have a shuttle to take me back to PSB where I'll link up with the rest of my crew.
    Thanks

Yeah, there's been some illegal dumping at that lot. It sits right on the road with no neighbors in sight. I'll add that I had no cell service at that lot either, it did not kick in until I was on Rt 42. There did not appear to be any businesses between there and Bland, mostly rural houses. Perhaps there is a church around there.

Trubrit has been posting a bit about his services in the Bastian, VA area you might try contacting him. You might consider reverses your route, parking at Trubrit's, and maybe getting a shuttle from him. Or check the shuttle list, you could maybe park in Bland.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

hey major, please give me a call, to discuss options. don, 540-921-7433

Alligator, I have the shuttle locked on with Don's Shuttle service. Was totally great and reliable as anyone I've ever dealt with. Thanks for the info on the parking spot and the lack of anything out there to include the phone service.

Thanks for the referral Alligator. Majortrauma, if you still need parking/shuttles, I will be happy to help you out. There is secure parking in Bastian at my place and we can arrange shuttles to suit. Hope you find a good solution.
    708 207 6725 if you need anything further.

++ New Posts ++