WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default western mountaineering sleeping bag

What are your thoughts on the Ultralite Western Mountaineering Sleeping bag? I am wanting to upgrade from a 12 yr old North Face Cat's meow. I'm looking for the same durability except less weight. Thanks.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Most definitely, go for it! --Satisfied owner of an UltraLite since 2004 (and a HighLite since '05)
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

Look in to the golight http://www.golite.com/UltraLite-800-...ar-P46821.aspx a few oz less and about $200 less. only the golight is a quit and not a mummy bag. Personally once I get enough money am going with the golight.

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan7998 View Post
    What are your thoughts on the Ultralite Western Mountaineering Sleeping bag? I am wanting to upgrade from a 12 yr old North Face Cat's meow. I'm looking for the same durability except less weight. Thanks.
    I would buy a WM bag if I could afford it. The only criticism I have ever heard the the cost.

I have a few MARMOT bags and like them alot. Their temp rating has proven true for me. So I would suggest the MARMOT Plasma 15 or Plasma 30 as an budget alternative [relative to WM].

Images

Same durability? Maybe, depending on what you mean. The shell fabric is lighter and requires more care. However, the down will keep its loft for many more years than a synthetic bag.

Also, try this bag on before buying. It's a slim cut mummy. My wife had one, and my shoulders were too large for it. WM makes a wider-cut 20F mummy if that fits you better.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I'm 6' 1" 190 lbs

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I own two WM products.

happy with both of them.

Images

I have a SummerLite and very much enjoy it so far. Once I have the money to, and the environmental demands necessary for it, I'll be getting an UltraLite with NO hesitation.

Images

Thanks for the suggestions...i'm planning a 100 mile section hike on the AT in February 2012 from Davenport Gap to Erwin, TN...my 1st choice will be the WM ultralite and my 2nd choice is the Mountain Hardware Piute 20 and my 3rd choice is one of the Marmot Plasma bags...i still have time to decide...

Images

You mean 2013? Or another month? Or have a flux capacitor and a DeLorean?

Either way, all three bags are excellent choices.

Images

yea..i mean 2013...i'm in afghanistan and have been up all night...i've gotten about 10 hrs of sleep in the past 36 hrs...

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan7998 View Post
    yea..i mean 2013...i'm in afghanistan and have been up all night...i've gotten about 10 hrs of sleep in the past 36 hrs...
    Stay safe my friend!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Images

Thanks!! i will. I'm just glad that this is my 5th and final deployment, since i'll be getting out next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    Stay safe my friend!

Khike

Yeah, I have a WM Megalite. 6'6". Real nice Bag. I slept in 30 degree weather near Neel's Gap in my underwear and no socks! A few times during the night I had to pull my feet up from the end for a while cause they got cold. Nice bag and always a pleasure to get in it at the end of a long day. Good advice on trying it out first. I tried to order a Summer Lite on line -cause I liked the red color-and the guy told me no that it would be too tight. So I took his advice and went somewhere that I could try them out and he was right. The Summer Lite was way too tight. The Megalite was perfect. I roll around in it a lot when I sleep, never a problem. Pricey but nice. Kevin

Khike

Oh yeah, 29 ozs in it's bag. Kevin

Journal Entries

For durability, you dont want an extremely light bag. A lot of that weight is achieved using extremely light weight fragile fabrics that require care to avoid damage.

Western mountaineering isnt the only maker of top quality bags. Check out Feathered Friends too.

WM makes some great bags though. IF I recall correctly, you can find the EN ratings on some European sites, they just dont publicize them here.

The summerlite is 35F comfort rated, the Ultralite is 17F I recall, and the Megalite is 28F.

The Feathered Friends 30 degree bags have more down wt than the WM, and probably are good to ~25. Come in different sizes from the Merlin at 58" chest (smaller than the Summerlite), Osprey at 60 ( a little larger than summerlite) to Kestrel at 64" chest that is about like the Megalite, all in 30F. Heavier due to more down, and maybe a little more robust fabric.

I bought a WM Antelope just before leaving for my 1997 thru hike attempt. It was the most wonderful sleeping bag I've ever experienced - warm, comfortable, incredible loft. In a shelter I always got comments about the fantastic loft. It's worth the price if you decide to go for it.

I have a 30 deg Megalite....been down to the low to mid twenties with it. I love the bag.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I had to get a megalite to fit my shoulders. Great bag. Too bad I mostly use quilts now, and I can't bring myself to convert. I'll have to get a Nunatak some day. And I think one of the Feathered Friends bags was rated above the WM in a BPL test.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    I have a 30 deg Megalite....been down to the low to mid twenties with it. I love the bag.
    now am wondering if that will keep you warm on the AT. Am from CA and could not think of doing the JMT, being up to 10,0000ft and higher. If you think you can I need to rethink my bag

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++