WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: new hiker

Default new hiker

Hey guys and gals.

I am a new hiker and want to do a thru hike from GA to NC next spring. i was posting this to see if anyone had any advise for me... From miles per day, good gear set ups, how NOT to over pack and so on, also any pointers for preping for this adventure, its always been a dream to hike the whole thing but under the given circumstanses im only able to do this thru hike... any advise is greatly apprecaited!

First of all, welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot-- especially if you scan up/down the various threads. Take notes. Make a file. Make some posts, ask some specific questions.

Your post was really wide open, so I find it hard to respond. Let me try to give you my $0.02:

Miles per day are dependent upon your stamina, your health, your fitness, the terrain, the weather, the sights, etc. I've heard of some people who completed the AT doing no more than 15 miles a day, but I know others who have done 30+ miles on a few days. I'd say that for a ballpark figure, count on walking about 1.5 - 2.5 mph. Consider how many hours per day you're likely to hike, add in time for breaks/snacks, and see what you can come up with.

I don't know exactly what you mean by a "gear setup." If you're looking for suggested gear lists, there are multitudes of them out there in cyberland. Backpacker Magazine's website has some that have been well received. You can look over the forum, too, and look at what other thru-hikers have set themselves up with. Personally, I find the gear planner developed by Erik the Black to be a very useful tool: check out his blog at blackwoodspress.com .

How to prepare for an adventure like the one you've planned? That's so hard to answer. All I can say for sure is to take full advantage of the time you have, and learn as much as you can about the trail, its environment, and what you can expect to see/experience. Others wll tell you something completely different, but for me, preparedness means never going into a situation blind.

I hope you get the advice you need! And I wish you good luck on your hike-- you're gonna have a blast!
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Images

Miles per day: If you were doing a thru, I'd say start out low and build up progressively. Either way, it's gonna ultimately be based on your fitness and pack weight.
    Good gear: Whatever works for you. Start trying to figure things out now, and you'll be much better off. It's your choice/comfort when it comes to what kind of shelter (tent, tarp, bivy, hammock) you use, boots vs trail runners, cooking styles, etc.
    How not to overpack: Keep a list of EVERYTHING that goes in your bag, down to every ziploc bag that's used to organize things. Ask yourself if it's something you really need, or want. Even if you don't plan on going "ultralight", take a look at the UL section of the forum. There will be advice there that can help you stay away from a 40lb pack. But don't feel obligated to adopt everything.

To prep for the section hike... figure out gear, figure out how long you can actually spend on the section, from here, figure out a ballpark MPD. If it's manageable, then just sort out logistics like what food you're going to bring, and look into shuttle options to return to where you left from. Try NOT to overprepare. It'll be overwhelming and very likely unnecessary. Deep breaths. If you break it down to it, it's walking in the woods. Just make it safe and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    Try NOT to overprepare. It'll be overwhelming and very likely unnecessary. Deep breaths. If you break it down to it, it's walking in the woods. Just make it safe and fun.
    20 days away from my thru-hike attempt and this is by far the BEST ADVICE. Been embracing that attitude the last couple days as gear/logistics planning winds down.

Pearldrummer - Besides the above, this forum has everything you could possibly find out. Either by searching or asking. As a new member myself, I can say you def came to the right place. Take advantage of everyone's knowledge!

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by pearldrummer25 View Post
    Hey guys and gals.

I am a new hiker and want to do a thru hike from GA to NC next spring. i was posting this to see if anyone had any advise for me... From miles per day, good gear set ups, how NOT to over pack and so on, also any pointers for preping for this adventure, its always been a dream to hike the whole thing but under the given circumstanses im only able to do this thru hike... any advise is greatly apprecaited!
    Thru-hike normally means doing the entirety of a trail in a year. So I guess you're thru-hiking the georgia section of the AT, but most people would say you're doing the Georgia Section of the AT.

Miles a day: the typical recommendation is around 7-10 a day for novice hikers. If you're a novice hiker and an athlete then 15-20 is probably fine.

Gear setups: Lots of strategies. Base weight means all of your gear without food/water/fuel. Base weights go from around 4 pounds up to 40. The less the better, typically.

Total gear cost around $500-600. Total base weight (gear w/o food or water) is 5 or so pounds. You could do without some of the misc. stuff. I'd probably skip a raincoat for a thru starting in May, but I wouldn't call that a smart decision.

2 pounds of food per day is about right.

A sample gearlist:

Big 4:
    Golite poncho tarp + 50 feet kelty triptease+10 tent stakes=10 oz, $100 total
    thermarest ridgerest short sleeping pad, trimmed to size: 10 oz, $25
    Golite 1 season 40 degree quilt 19oz on sale right now for $180
    Zpack Zero small backpack with 2 side pockets 4 oz, $110

<3 pounds, $415

Clothing:
    Worn:
    running shoes/train runners/sandals bought 1 size too large
    1 pair running socks
    poly T-shirt
    running shorts

Other
    fleece hat

2 extra pairs 1/4 length rurnning socks
    cotton bandanna

<.5 pound, you probably own this alreaady

Cooking:
    home made Supercat alcohol stove 1 oz, $1
    1L titanium pot 5 oz, $50
    Titanium spoon 1 oz, $20
    1 20oz bottled-water bottle for alcohol fuel
    3x 32 oz gatorade bottles 5 oz total
    aqua mira, 3 oz $15
    2 mini-lighters (bics are fine)

<1 pound, $100

misc stuff:
    mp3 player that runs off of aaa batteries
    ALDHA trail companion, print pages off about 3 resupplies ahead
    dental-floss container with floss, nail clippers, sewing needle, duct tape, other small things
    toothbrush, toothpaste
    add in a headnet when you hit the bugs:
    Dry bag large enough for sleeping bag
    food bag
    bag for misc stuff
    cell phone, personal items, etc.

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

Go to people trail journals and look up to see what they have. Also go on some week end trips to you know your pace, both going up and down hill and hiking in level ground. Like the other said need to find out which gear work out best for you (week end trips are great for that).

Rookie Family of four looking to do the first section in mid July-

Starting (of course- at Springer and ending up at Nantahala Outdoor Center)

Few questions:

1. Will it be easy to get transportation from the center to the beginning of the trail?
    2. Weather in mid July- will it be to hot to hike?
    3. For a food drop- any recommendations where to pick one up? I do not want to get one too soon or too late in the hike.

Any feedback would be great- I will have a 11 year and a 14 year old with me- any feedback for those with children would be great as well.

Thanks in advance

Krav

All I can comment on is #2 for above post.

It will be hot - probably real hot and humid to boot, but only you can decide if it's too hot to hike. Personally, as a New Englander used to cooler weather, I'd say it's way too hot to hike in GA in mid July. I would not even consider it. Mid July, I'd stick closer to home in New England. Vermont is nice that time of year. I hike in the south in early spring, April/May.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Maybe we should go North to South

Do you think the blackflies will be gone by mid July in Maine?

There is no precise end to the black fly season. A head net and the ability to cover all exposed skin makes it worth the risk, lol.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by Krav View Post
    Rookie Family of four looking to do the first section in mid July-

Starting (of course- at Springer and ending up at Nantahala Outdoor Center)

Few questions:

1. Will it be easy to get transportation from the center to the beginning of the trail?
    2. Weather in mid July- will it be to hot to hike?
    3. For a food drop- any recommendations where to pick one up? I do not want to get one too soon or too late in the hike.

Any feedback would be great- I will have a 11 year and a 14 year old with me- any feedback for those with children would be great as well.

Thanks in advance

Krav
    If you're looking for a good mid-july spot look to do a section in Virginia, IMO. You'll avoid the worst of the bugs in the north and the worst of the heat in the south. Although VA in July can get hot as well.

The shenandoah and the surroundings make for a good first section (Wayensboro, VA to Harpers Ferry, WV section)

Damascus, Va to Pearisburg, VA would also be nice. Pearisburg, va to Daleville, VA would work as well

Thank you for your recommendations....much appreciated!!

I actually did Dick's Creek to Fontanna Dam last July/August and while hot, I actually prefered that over the cold of March and November of my other section hikes. But I was raised in South Florida and spent most of myadult life in Houston along with living in Brazil and Singapore.

++ New Posts ++