WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Losing toenails

Images

Default Losing toenails

Anyone lose their toenails after hiking? Takes about 6 months for the big one to grow back.

pistol-packin' hammock hanger with a dog rockerZ71's Avatar

I've lost the big one too. Actually I ended up pulling it out with a leatherman. I can post pics...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Images

I lost the 2nd toenail on my first section hike, victim of hammer toe and old boots. It think I would loose the smallest toenail if I hiked for 3 or 4 weeks because they also look beat up after a hike. I also lost my big toenail last summer when I slipped in the kitchen and stubbed my toe into the stove, still only 3/4 of the way back.

I lost at least seven toenails on my AT thru-hike and I lost seven toenails twice on the PCT. One of the reasons for that is that I buy my shoes bigger than normal which lessens blisters for me but it allows the front of my feet to slam into the inside of the shoe (which on downhills causes my toenails to get crushed). It's just a trade-off for me -- whether I want to have blisters galore or whether I want to save my toenails. I haven't yet found a combination that allows me to avoid blisters and keep my toenails at the same time. When it's raining I get blisters regardless so of course it was dry as a bone on the AT so I didn't have a single blister there.

Datto

PS: Riiiiight. What's a blister?

Images

I just lost the nail on the little toe of my left foot. I had been walking for the last month, but I'm not sure why I lost that nail.

Yes, always lose the second toenail on right foot. Once lost it twice in same year. Thinking of getting it removed permanently.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Do most thru hikers carry a small nail clipper with them? I would imagine that keeping them trim could help prevent this. I plan on carrying a clipper with me 'cuz the thought of using someone elses kinda creeps me out but i always wondered what the majority does about this.

Images

I haven't seen a small toe nail clipper that works well.

I'd like to see what others think about that. None of my toe nails hurt or appeared to be bruised. I have nail fungus under the nails of my large toes, but none of the rest. My nails could have used trimming, but they didn't seem to be bothering me, although that was probably because I mostly walked up when I wasn't road walking...and I mostly road walked for that month.

Journal Entries
    Images

Trimming helps, but over the years I have lost many nails. I consider it a small sacrifice to th hiking Gods.

Images

I have repeatedly lost my second toenail on both feet, even after a 3 or 4 day hike with nails trimmed really short. I got the book Fixing your Feet and filed my nails like he described--downward over the end of the toe, so you cant even feel the nail when you rub over the end of your toe. I hiked a month long section of the AT last summer and didn't have ANY nail damage!! It was amazing...apparently alot of the damage comes from your nail snagging on your socks!

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't think its advisable to post pics..... of tootsies.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbx View Post
    Do most thru hikers carry a small nail clipper with them? I would imagine that keeping them trim could help prevent this. I plan on carrying a clipper with me 'cuz the thought of using someone elses kinda creeps me out but i always wondered what the majority does about this.
    I always have to keep toenails well clipped. NOt to save the nail, but to prevent infection along side the nail. I am very prone to that.

I've lost my fair share, mostly when I first starting hiking. The main cause is boots that are too small. When buying boots make sure you have enough room in them by sliding a finger between your heel and the boot. If you can't they're too small, go up a 1/2 size. Also I try not to tie the boot strings too tight close to the toes, leave them a little loose to allow your toes room to move a little. Your feet will expand a little after walking for a few hours and the extra room will help keep your toes from yamming in the toebox on the downhills. And keep those toenails clipped.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

One thing that really isn't talked about is the number of hikers every year that lose toes and in some cases their whole foot altogether. Sometimes its just the price you pay for doing a trip of several hundred miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    One thing that really isn't talked about is the number of hikers every year that lose toes and in some cases their whole foot altogether. Sometimes its just the price you pay for doing a trip of several hundred miles.
    I heard that in most cases doctors are able to save half the foot,and only cutting up to the first metatarsal and leaving the heel bone intact.

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh ya twice, and it's been the footwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I always have to keep toenails well clipped. NOt to save the nail, but to prevent infection along side the nail. I am very prone to that.
    I got a whole jar of falled off toenails,they make a good fire starter,the fun-key-er the better.Stink real bad though,hard to keep friends....wife,kids....the DOG!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

pictures please!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

pistol-packin' hammock hanger with a dog rockerZ71's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    pictures please!
    here you go. you're welcome.

poured hydrogen peroxide on it after trimming all i could of the nail.

result:

Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure about the extra weight of the leatherman.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++