WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Entrance Fee?

Images

Question Entrance Fee?

I think I read on the SNP website that it costs an entrance fee of $8 to hike in the Park. I'm planning on parking at the 4H center next month and doing a two day hike with my son, South. Where would I pay the fee and is it really necessary? I understand I will be passing a place to get a backcountry permit so I will be sure to do that.
    Thanks for any feedback.

Images

The $8 fee is for those entering thru the parks entrance station by bicycle, etc. and doesn't apply in your case.

A backcountry permit can be acquire through SNP website and mailed back, if you allow two weeks in advance.
    http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/entrance_fees.htm
    If however you are going within the next 14 days then get one at the 4-H center and fill out.

Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

$8 if you enter the park via a bicycle http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/entrance_fees.htm

If you park outside SNP and hike (via the AT) into the park it's free -- just don't forget to register. Which brings up an interesting question: If one wanted to hike thru SNP via the road would it cost anything?

Images

Can I whip out my Senior Pass for this fee? Not that I can't afford eight bucks but I do love using that Senior Pass.

++ New Posts ++