Default PCT - Oregon and Washington - October?

I need to be in Seattle mid-October for a wedding, and I'm definitely thinking the majority of it should be a hiking trip. I'm wanting to do a 100-200 mile hike in the area before depending on weather.

Does anyone who know the area well think its a good idea to fly into Portland and hike the PCT north up to the Seattle area? What's the weather like that time of yr. really cold? Any high elevations? If so is there a trail in the Oregon or wash area that doesn't go as high and get as cold.

NOBO April 19 or 20
    Http://dubsontheat.wordpress.com

October in the northern cascades is a crap shoot. In 2007, winter storms pretty much started on Oct.1st. Most years, you normally are fine hiking the PCT through mid-October, but any later is very unlikely in Washington. It will be cold at night. And yes, there is high elevations throughout Washington as snow comes pretty much along the mountain range at once. Oregon is flatter, but not necessarily lower in elevation. I finished the PCT on Oct.2 in 2009 in 4 days of off and on snow though it was clear the following week. There is probably lower trail elsewhere to hike away from the PCT, but you'll have to ask a native.

Don't count out a 150 miler at Olympic NP broken up into two or three distinctly different terrain treks in the area. It's EASY logistics from Seattle. Mix in a lower elev. coastal hike(some of the BEST in the U.S. IMO!), lakes hikes, rain forest hike, and up to 8k ft summit mountain hikes. I agree with Miner, mid Oct and later in the northern Cascades at higher elevations is getting iffy! Have alternate hikes in the works if the PCT weather is a no go.

Ill check out that trail. The dates now are more like sept 20 - oct 4. Do u think we would have to deal with any freezing weather there on that trail. With how rainy it is there, I feel like anything under like 45 would be miserable, but the bright spot to that would be no Mosquitos lol

NOBO April 19 or 20

Finished the PCT at Manning Park Canada Oct 12 2008. Set up my tarp a total of five times on the entire 2700 mile hike. Three of those times were in Washington in the Northern Cascades in snow and freezing rain on the last 15 days of the thru-hike. Welcome to the Seattle area.

Wow that is beyond incredible. I failed the AT bc of knee problems, but after some PT and better knee braces, I can get back to hiking again

I'm thinking if its cold in northern Oregon and southern Washington, I could always backpack further south and just take a train to Seattle when I need to be there

Where in that whole area would u say has the best weather for backpacking at the end of sept whether its the PCT or not

NOBO April 19 or 20

++ New Posts ++