WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Storing a Katadyn Hiker Pro

I just got back from a 30 mile section hike and actually used my filter for the first time. On the Katadyn website it says for long term storage to flush a liter of water with two micropur purfication tablets through it. It doesn't say however, is how long the tablets need to be in the water. Do I wait til they disolve or do I let it sit there for four hours like the instructions say you let the tablets sit to make the drinking water safe?

Images

I hope this is not bad advice, but this is what I have done and mine has been ok for years... When I get back from a trip I fill a large bowl with water and add a drop or two of bleach. Then I pump the bleach/water through the system. Then I fill up the bowl with fresh water and pump that through the filter. Last step, I take it all apart and let it completely dry. This can take a week or so... (my wife always loves to see my filter spread out on a table in the kitchen for a week) Once I am sure it is dry I lube it up and put it away. Maybe it's the wrong thing to do, maybe it is overkill, but it has worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gwb View Post
    I hope this is not bad advice, but this is what I have done and mine has been ok for years... When I get back from a trip I fill a large bowl with water and add a drop or two of bleach. Then I pump the bleach/water through the system. Then I fill up the bowl with fresh water and pump that through the filter. Last step, I take it all apart and let it completely dry. This can take a week or so... (my wife always loves to see my filter spread out on a table in the kitchen for a week) Once I am sure it is dry I lube it up and put it away. Maybe it's the wrong thing to do, maybe it is overkill, but it has worked for me.
    Same,but let bleach/water solution stand for about 24 hrs.

Images

I do the same bleach/water thing. I've never let it sit, though. But letting the filter dry for a week or two is an excellent idea.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

+1 on the above...I made the mistake once of packing the filter away while still wet and the next time I opened it a few weeks later it was full of mold.

Ditto what 'gwb' said, and for good measure, I leave it out in the sunshine for a few days, bring it in if it looks like rain.

This same thing happened to me. I just kinda guessed how to clean it. I ran fresh water through it several times then let it dry. I only weighted 3 days before closing it up and storing it. This was a bad idea. I don't want to change the topic on this forum, but i feel this goes along with the initial question. Now that there is a little mold in my filter, how should I clean it out. do i use the same process with bleach or is there a more extreme process. Is it too far gone once there is mold in it and best to just buy a new filter insert? thanks for the help.

I experienced the mildew-ey (is that a word?) smell/taste after my kid used the filter and didn't tell me. It sat for 2 months before I found it...yuk!
    I did the bleach thing and then soaked the filter element in hot water with lots of baking soda in it for @ 24 hrs.
    Flushed with clean water and let dry for about 5 days.
    FWIW, this seems to have worked for me.

Registered User writeronthestorm's Avatar

I've never had a problem with mold in my Hiker Pro. I just dry pump it until no water comes out and store it. I've done it that way for years. Weird.

I put them in the refrigerator until they dry up and Ive never had a problem. Unless you consider that third arm a problem.

++ New Posts ++