WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cuben feedback

Default Cuben feedback

I would like to hear from people who have carried a cuben backpack two seasons or more.

I am getting more than interested in a cuben backpack.

I would like to know if the cuben backpacks last more than a season, or two at most. In other words, is a cuben pack a durable pack: abrasion, tear resistance, "blow-out" (lose shape due to hard-edge items like cookware and water bottles).

It isn't possible to know, if the people who have and like cuben backpacks are unconcerned about durability because they have deep pockets and high max credit cards and like fashion-items for gear more than durability of outdoor gear.

I don't mind spending $$$ if an item is durable.

That said, I expect my outdoor gear to last for 10-12 years and it does.

That said, I take care of my outdoor gear.

I have been more and more interested in cuben. I like the looks of the packs made with it.

I also like, that I read small crewing denizens of the forests (chipmunks, squirrels, mice, etal. pun intended) do not chew thru cuben. I might not have to "bear bag" my backpack.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I don't own anything cuben (except a stuff sack), but I feel completely confident that a cuben backpack will not last 10-12 years. Cuben sails never did. If you want something durable, that's easy to find, just not UL. You might try a McHale, they're light and durable, and shockingly expensive.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Cuben backpacks for example on the PCT thru hikes lasts for just the thru hike...longer in some cases but not by much. This will give you an idea of the durability...you are probably better off with a ULA pack from Garage, Utah if you want something more durable yet lightweight. And yes, many Cuben users do not mind spending the cash for the ultralight gear.

I own a cuben tent (LightHeart Cuben Solo) and backpack (ZPacks Exo).

The cuben fiber that has been used on backpacks (ZPacks for example) will NOT last 10-12 years. The thicker material that ZPacks is now offering, which I have, will last longer than the previous versions. They are too new to know how much longer. I do expect my tent to have a longer lifespan.

And yes, folks that buy cuben packs know (or they should know) what they are getting into. They know that what they are purchasing will not last as long as, say, a ULA pack.

If your standard is 10-12 years, stay away from cuben.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I don't know about backpacks, but I tried rolling up some of those cuben cigars everyone raves about, and they were aweful.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I don't know about backpacks, but I tried rolling up some of those cuben cigars everyone raves about, and they were aweful.
    Try STUFFING, not rolling. Tastes much better.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I own a cuben tent (LightHeart Cuben Solo) and backpack (ZPacks Exo).

The cuben fiber that has been used on backpacks (ZPacks for example) will NOT last 10-12 years. The thicker material that ZPacks is now offering, which I have, will last longer than the previous versions. They are too new to know how much longer. I do expect my tent to have a longer lifespan.

And yes, folks that buy cuben packs know (or they should know) what they are getting into. They know that what they are purchasing will not last as long as, say, a ULA pack.

If your standard is 10-12 years, stay away from cuben.
    Good answer...One of my pre-requisites in being interested in Cuben as a backpack was a thicker cuben material and that the pack was waterproof and I didnt need to bring a pack cover for rain. I like the ULA backpacks but they are not waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by House of Payne View Post
    Good answer...One of my pre-requisites in being interested in Cuben as a backpack was a thicker cuben material and that the pack was waterproof and I didnt need to bring a pack cover for rain. I like the ULA backpacks but they are not waterproof.
    While cuben fiber is waterproof, the seams on a cuben backpack is not. It will not lessen your need for a pack cover or waterproof stuff sacks. The cuben fiber sheds water better than sil so you will be carrying less hitchhiker water. The same thing can be said for a cuben tent. My previous sil tents did not shake off water in the morning like my cuben tent. How much water ended up on my back because of this is unknown, but IMO significant.

Also, cuben pack covers are the freaking bomb. Not only are they waterproof and light, but they shed water prefectly. IMO, a cuben pack cover is the way to go no matter what kind of pack you carry.

Images

10-12 years ? by that time there will be some thing new invented.

I strongly feel outdoor gear should be durable. I am adverse to fashion, under any circumstances: one season or part of a second season, to me, is fashion.

I am not particularly looking for inventions.

I have the new fabrics, proven for their utility, featured on my website.

I have gear 40 years old in new condition, not because I never use it, but because I do not abuse it and I store it properly between use.

For example, my Lowe Alpine Attack packs and Lowe Pro waistpacks, my Sierra Designs tent, my MegaMid, Patagonia, Black Diamond Equipment, Outdoor Research, SWIX cookware, and now, I expect longevity from my Vargo titanium cookware, Granite Gear Expedition Pulk, zelph alcohol stoves.

I get at least 8-10 years out of clothing like my Outdoor Research Rhyolite pants or Pearl Izumi Tokyo Tights, my Eddie Bauer Expedition Vest, and every high quality down sleeping bag I have ever owned.

I was just reading the Terra Nova 'for the life time of the product' guarantee on their Laser Ultra 1 tent.

It is the first guarentee on a cuben fiber product I have seen. I was looking for more online, when I saw your post.

Eddie Bauer 'lifetime guarentee' used to me, lifetime. How they accomplished that was to give you another, brand new. The idea was, if you are using our 'lifetime guarentee' products, you are our kind of customer. The product did not last a lifetime. I still have my Eddie Bauer Kara Koram Expedition Parka. I wish I still had my Eddie Bauer Expedition Vest with the knit side panels for ventilation, a great vest.

I really appreciate the replies on this thread.

I was thinking I will start with a pack cover, a roll-top waterproof pack liner (I will use with a waistbelt pack) and maybe add a tarp. I really like some of the cuben fiber pack designs. I am not sure I want to spend big $$$ on a cuben pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I strongly feel outdoor gear should be durable. I am adverse to fashion, under any circumstances: one season or part of a second season, to me, is fashion.

I am not particularly looking for inventions.
    More power to you.

Your equipment will last longer than mine but will certainly be heavier. I guess we are both happy with our choices. HYOH

Sgt Rock likes cuben and uses it on many of his items. Here we are at Mud Gap on the BMT taking shelter from a butt cold rain under his cuben hammock tarp. He also likes cuben stuff sacks.

I'll stick with my cordura backpack and my Kerlon 1800 tent fly.

Your equipment will last longer than mine but will certainly be heavier. I guess we are both happy with our choices. HYOH
    If you look at my .info website, I have only lightweight and UL gear.

In fact, the gear I named further up the thread was the lightweight gear when I purchased it.

I have always carried the most lightweight gear that was practical, because it was durable and it performed well.

The durability issue, is because we hiked 18-days at a time. We had to hike-in the approach to get to the mountain to climb. (I started as a mountainclimber.)

The durability issue is because I have durability values because I do not want my essential gear to fail me.

I am more than interested in cuben because it isn't the same cuben of racing sails that get blown-out.

More and more, it is a cuben made for backpacking products.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    If you look at my .info website, I have only lightweight and UL gear.

Yeah, right......

Images

I hiked with two thru hikers that used cuben packs on the PCT last year. Both were covered in duct tape and were thread bare by the end. Will it last 10-12 years. Sure, if you don't get out much.

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    I hiked with two thru hikers that used cuben packs on the PCT last year. Both were covered in duct tape and were thread bare by the end. Will it last 10-12 years. Sure, if you don't get out much.
    classic

The lighter cuben fiber on packs is reported to fray by the end of a thru. I suspect that is with "average" care. The good news is that duct tape sticks to it REAL good making repairs easy.

I have gone with Joe's heavier cuben (coupla ounces more). Hopefully I will be on the trail long enough in 2013 to fully test it. My several weeks in 2012 will barely get it dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    I wonder what thickness the cuben was on those packs? I see now they offer three different thicknesses and the some of the pack manufacturers are doubling the bottom for protection. Here's a question for the cuben folks in the know, I see some cuben tent manufacturers factory seal the stitching with tape, do the pack makers do the same? and how reliable is the tape vs. say sil-ny seam sealer?

I see some cuben tent manufacturers factory seal the stitching with tape, do the pack makers do the same? and how reliable is the tape vs. say sil-ny seam sealer?
    I have not seen a pack taped. My tent IS taped.

I would not buy a tent of this caliber without it being taped by the seller. IMO, seam seal with cuben is NOT as easy as sil.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    IMO, seam seal with cuben is NOT as easy as sil.
    From what I understand, the holes from stitching are much too large for any liquid sealer, thus the tape. However the abuse a pack takes I'd be surpized the tape would hold up. How is the tape doing on your tent doing?

From what I understand, the holes from stitching are much too large for any liquid sealer, thus the tape. However the abuse a pack takes I'd be surpized the tape would hold up. How is the tape doing on your tent doing?
    My tent is doing just fine for the 15ish nights I have used it. I did go with the sil floor option because of abrasion concerns. We agree, logic says one is going to be MUCH more careful with their tent than their pack. Packs take a beating. I expect the cuben tent to have a "normal" lifespan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++