WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cuben feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I want to hear more about that one.

I guess it will take some time. But early results will be indicators of performance.
    I've had my Zpack Exos for 6 months now, with 25-30 nites on it and it still looks brand new... I've never had more than 26lbs in it(I think Joe said you can go 30lb) He makes the packs so that you can "tune" them, so to speak... Hip pockets, side mesh pockets and chest pack(which does double duty as a day pack) even the daisy chain is removeable... I got mine with the roll top... I plan on having this pack last more than a couple years...

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Ultimately the problem with cuben fiber is the mylar facing. You can't make that more durable without making it something else. Now if you want something else that still has some essence of cuben fiber, you could try the "cuben fiber" with a nylon facing. Also, Dimension Polyant has some fabrics with a mylar layer and spectra reinforcements. Unfortunately those still expose mylar to the interior of the pack, and that will eventually wear through.
    Hey Leaf, I just looked at 'enders' suggestion of the Zpacks 'exo'. It looks simular to what you were talking about with the combination of two fabrics for durability. Since the cuben is not a breathable material it still protects the pack from water and holds down the weight. The second poly material on the outer portion of the pack would protect it further on the outside. I Like the combination and the idea for toughness and longevity along with keeping the overall weight down. Would the cuben be at as much risk as the lining material of a hybrid pack such as this as it would be being exposed to the outside? And one other question, I brought this up somewhere else on WB, since cuben tents seems can be taped for waterproofness, can the packs be done as well?

Images

Yes, the hybrid fabric I mentioned is used by Zpacks and at least one other company...that other company was using it first, afaik.

The interior isn't going to get as much wear as the exterior, but the number of years and amount of use Connie is talking about is sure to wear through the mylar layer even though it's inside the pack.

Sure, you can tape or otherwise seal it, but the seams of a pack are often too thick and lumpy to make it a nice job.

I dont have any experience with cuben fiber items and I know we're mostly discussing packs here but are the tents worth the investment? I'm concerned with the breathability and time issues. If I'm tempted to save and shell out for a lightheart I'd like to it can last ten years as I do try to take care of my gear etc.

Images

Cuben fiber is like any other waterproof tent fabric. It doesn't breathe.

Worry more about the design.

The Lightheart Solo has more mesh than most lightweight tents, and is a true double wall design, so I wouldn't worry about how it breathes. The shell might last ten years. No one has used a cuben fiber tent/tarp long enough to say. If you got a cuben fiber floor, that almost certainly wouldn't last ten years though.

I bought a cuben-upper Lightheart Solo for the CDT last year, and carried it on the whole trail. And unlike an AT or PCT thru, I actually slept in the tent pretty much every night on the trail; I think I might have cowboy camped a couple of times in NM towards the end. When it wasn't rainy or buggy, oftimes it was cold enough that the tent added a bit of warmth.

It held up great, no problem with the cuben upper part at all. One zipper pull is a little wonky now, but that's just one of those "ultralight gear" trade-offs --- lightweight zippers just don't hold up as well. There are two pulls, the other one still works fine, so not a problem for me. I expect to continue to use this tent for years to come, having last year put in more nights in it than I suspect most people will ever spend in a tent.

leaftye said:
    " If you got a cuben fiber floor, that almost certainly wouldn't last ten years though. "
    That was my feeling too. The combination of that factor, plus the cost saving made me decide on a silnylon floor, and I have no regrets about that.
    Part of it for me was just that I worried that much less, fussed around that much less in throwing down for the night --- my feeling was that if something happened to the silnylon floor, then so be it. As with other tents I've used, however, it's held up great too.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

You guys may be interested in the German Tourist and her gear thoughts after living outdoors on a near permanent basis---

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspo...n-and-why.html

Of check out this further report---
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...e_pagination=1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++