WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default Co-ordinating mail-drop care packages

I have a few people that want to send me care packages on the trail, so I'm trying to figure out what the good spots to have them send them to would be.

I figured Standing Bear Farm would be a good spot, based on resupply between the Smokies and Hot Springs.

Obviously I'd prefer hostels over just a post office due to hours of availability, and contributing to the economy of the people that help hikers.

So what other hostels should I pretty much guarantee to plan a stop at, and tell people that they can send me a care package there?

My plan is to essentially assign the people a location, so I don't end up with 3 packages at the same spot, which would suck because I wouldn't be able to fully appreciate everything. I'm also looking for advice on how to inform them of what to pack, what not to pack, etc.

Thanks!

There's plenty of information in previous threads and in the re-supply articles on the home page about this but....

...One suggestion is if people are planning on sending you an envelope or card "general delivery" to a post office along the way be sure to tell that to the postal clerk since cards/letters are normally kept in a separate place instead of on the shelf with the rest of the thru hiker packages.

I discovered this after missing a couple "inspirational letters" friends sent me.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Spokes; 03-27-2012 at 13:35.

Images

standing bear is one place you don't need to send a package...there is a great resupply store there, send that package to hot springs instead...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

So many hikers send mail drops to Curtis, but not knowing that he can resupply you to Hot Springs. Once you get to Hot Springs, best to have a box there instead.

Images

Alright, I'll send the box to Hot Springs and just resupply at Standing Bear. Probably Bluff Mounain for that location? And then fill out with whatever else I need in town before I head out?

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    Alright, I'll send the box to Hot Springs and just resupply at Standing Bear. Probably Bluff Mounain for that location? And then fill out with whatever else I need in town before I head out?
    Bluff Mtn also has a solid resupply with a dollar store down the street. All the essentials right there in town. Erwin is a pain to resupply, send it there

++ New Posts ++