Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 50's Age Group

Default 50's Age Group

i have section hiked some of the AT from Springer...3 days out there in 08. I truly want to try and hike half of it and then the other half the next year. I'm second guessing myself because I'm in my 50's. I'm in great shape and I've always hiked and spent alot of time camping and in the outdoors. Are any of you hiking the AT in your 50"s?

Journal Entries
    Images

Deehiker, do not let your age make you think twice about doing anything that you want to do. I hiked the AT last year at the age of 51.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

LIke the quote...feel time is running out and I need to do this now! Thanks for the encouragement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds like you had the same train of thought as I did. You only live once.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

We have a through hiker this year in his late eighties.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Hiking don't kill ya, stopping hiking does.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Ive got 3 months next year to hike, intend to start at springer, finish at DWG on memorial day. I'll turn 55 next year. Age aint nothin but a number.

I know a guy who hiked it in his late 50's after he retired. He lost about 40 lbs and looked about 15 years younger. That was about 5-6 years ago and he still looks better and is in better general health than when he hiked it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DeeHiker View Post
    I've always hiked and spent alot of time camping and in the outdoors. Are any of you hiking the AT in your 50"s?
    Being in your 50's is a great time to thruhike. Many have done it and enjoyed it immensely.

Be careful though, this is not a "camping" trip. A successful thruhiker breaks camp almost every day for 6 months and HIKES. There is a world of difference between camping and hiking.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Stir Fry

Just a guess, but most of my section hike about 40% are over 50. I'll 55 when I do my thru hike.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Lots of 50-70 year olds out there, but the number drops precipitously above 70. I had the good fortune to run into the 80+ Pink Panthers on 6 weeks ago just south of the Smokies. It's not the age but your fitness level that counts, although you should really strive to get your pack weight down below 30 pounds if you've ever had any joint issues.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

50's Age Group. It looks like you are not rushed for time. I suggest going out next year for 3 months and don't worry how far you will get. Spend time on the Trail and enjoy it. If 3 months is too long stop at 2 months. Go out again the next year and continue your hike. 50+ is not too old. I'm 58, and still hiking without alot of problems. However, New Hampshire and parts of Maine kicked my butt this year. I took off to soon, should have waited 2-3 weeks before leaving Hanover. I left on June 1, I think it would have been better if I left June 21st.

Images

I section hike each year and have plans for a thru in 2014 (early retirement and the next life chapter). No one knows if they can complete a thru or not, even the the younger folks. I think most of it is mental and everyone knows old folk are pretty mental
    Just start walking, enjoying and don't worry about how far you get.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Images

I'm 56 and have to work at least 3 more years before I retire and I plan on a thru the spring after I retire. I believe if you take care of yourself and stay fit that a long hike should not be an issue. I have seen posts here on WB and read other comments in long hiking literature that many people get off the trails, especially some of those that drop out early, for the mental issues. In some cases it is not necessarily a physical malady (though they claim folks as well) but they fact that they were not mentally prepared to be wet, tired, sore, and so on for days on end.

Images

Wasn't going to butt into the female's forum, but since others have..........

My Scout Troop has been sectioning for 5 years now. I'm 54, turning 55 this Aug - starting a thru next Feb 29. I'm prepping for this year's section and will continue the rest of this fall and winter for the thru start. Good luck - see you on the Trail.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Yeap, lots of 50+ thru-hikers out there, both male and female. I do think you are wise to break it up into two trips. A bit easier on the body and if your willing to jump around a bit, you can optimize the time of year for different sections.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

DeeHiker.... age has nothing to do with the success of hiking the A.T. You say you're in "great shape" so you are already ahead of many who begin their hike. Being older gives us the knowledge of how our bodies react to stress so we tend to be more careful and take time to enjoy the trail. I started a thru-hike when I was 53 and passed many younger hikers, not because I was fast, but because I was in better shape. I've started 4 times at Springer, but had to return home 3 times due to family medical emergencies and once because of equipment failure. I'm now 64 and intend to be back at Springer April of 2012 ....I'm still in shape because I keep myself that way. I've always told younger people that it's "easier to maintain physical fitness than it is to regain it". I know from experience since I lost most of my conditioning in '04 after needing shoulder surgery due to being T-boned in my suv by a driver who made an illegal u-turn. I've regained most of what I lost but it's been a tough getting there. Enjoy your hike.

Before you start out, go get a really good physical (check out your heart) and talk to your doctor about any meds you might need in an emergency on the trail. That will give you the assurance that you have the physical stamina to do the trail, and should the need arise, you should have the first aid supplies you need. You should also start training - walking a lot, walking a lot with a backpack, working out doing stretches and lifting some weights maybe with your legs. (Maybe a trainer can help with this?) Mostly what you need to hike the AT is confidence. You're definitely not "too old." As others have said, a lot of folks older than you have succeeded.

I started "walking" several years ago, without doing any training. As I've gotten older, the only thing I regret is that I didn't start walking sooner. Also, as I've gotten older, I have started working out some at home and in a gym. It just does make it somewhat easier. Don't know why I doubted it; I trained before I started out on a long-distance bike trip. It just makes sense.

Images

I suspect you knew the answer! Still I'll say: "Goforit!"
    @ 56 I can still out hike some of my partners, & the oldest one of them is a "baby" at 35. AND, I'm still out hiked by many Ive met on the AT in their 70s & 80s. So age is what you make of it, & if you have the chance to, make the most by going hiking.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

I suspect you knew the answer! Still I'll say: "Goforit!"
    @ 56 I can still out hike some of my partners, & the oldest one of them is a "baby" at 35. AND, I'm still out hiked by many Ive met on the AT in their 70s & 80s. So age is what you make of it, & if you have the chance to, make the most by going hiking.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++