Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default seeking hiking partner(s) in June

Anyone interested in starting a section hike with me from Springer Mountain or anywhere along AT from Georgia to mid-Virginia? This would be around June 13. Also have a couple of questions:
    (1) Will there be folks starting from Springer Mtn in June?
    (2) Is it safe for solo female hiker to be ambling along AT in Georgia, No Carolina, Tennessee in June? Concerned about bears

Hey mari, I'll be on the opposite end of the trail this year (section hike from VT to ME), so I probably won't see you out there. As for your questions...(1) June is a tad late...the most popular starting dates from Springer are late March and early to mid April. I found that there were definitely hikers that started much later, however, they moved a much faster pace right from the start. You might find yourself a bit behind the main push if you start in June, but nothing to be too worried about. (2) As long as you respect a bear, and exercise your common sense, then you should be fine...keep your distance, especially if you see cubs. There are some great threads on this forum about bear safety. Some hikers might disagree, but I'm a firm believer in always hanging your bear bag. I find that most of the bear horror-stories that I heard were a result of a hungry bear sniffing out a food bag that was within too-close proximities to hikers.

Good luck with your adventure! The southern portion of the trail was so magical

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Owf View Post
    Hey mari, I'll be on the opposite end of the trail this year (section hike from VT to ME), so I probably won't see you out there. As for your questions...(1) June is a tad late...the most popular starting dates from Springer are late March and early to mid April. I found that there were definitely hikers that started much later, however, they moved a much faster pace right from the start. You might find yourself a bit behind the main push if you start in June, but nothing to be too worried about. (2) As long as you respect a bear, and exercise your common sense, then you should be fine...keep your distance, especially if you see cubs. There are some great threads on this forum about bear safety. Some hikers might disagree, but I'm a firm believer in always hanging your bear bag. I find that most of the bear horror-stories that I heard were a result of a hungry bear sniffing out a food bag that was within too-close proximities to hikers.

Good luck with your adventure! The southern portion of the trail was so magical

Thanks, Owf! I may just start a bit further north to be with others and for the cooler weather.

Best of luck to you too!

Hi Mari, I would be ineterested in a section hike from Springer Mountain around that time. I am a high school teacher and my last day of school is scheduled for the 13th. I have been wanting to do a thru hike, but think section hiking would also be great especially if I have soomeone to do it with, as I am uneasy about doing it alone. Let me know what you think.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FisherGirl6 View Post
    Hi Mari, I would be ineterested in a section hike from Springer Mountain around that time. I am a high school teacher and my last day of school is scheduled for the 13th. I have been wanting to do a thru hike, but think section hiking would also be great especially if I have soomeone to do it with, as I am uneasy about doing it alone. Let me know what you think.
    Hi FisherGirl16,

Since I wasn't sure I'd have a hiking partner, I was thinking of starting instead in the Shenandoah NP or Front Royal where I might catch the slower thru-hikers and find people to hike with. Would that area appeal to you? If you're set on Springer Mtn, for me hiking with someone trumps where I start, so would love to join you. Send me a private message and I can give you more information about myself.

Maria

FisherGirl16, I am also a teacher and looking for a section hiking partner after June 19th. Memorial Day weekend I caught part of the AT from Glassmine Gap to just south of Standing Indian. I'm looking to cover the final southern portion of the trail this summer and would be willing to start at Springer and go north with you a week or so. If you're interested let me know.

Maria, double check the bear activity in Shenandoah before heading out there. I've encountered quite a few more black bears there in previous years. But as stated earlier, being respectful of them and using common sense makes a world of a difference.

++ New Posts ++