Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default In the Appalachian Trail tolerant of LBGT?

I planning on doing a hike with a partner and was looking for information on whether it is tolerant of LBGT? Thanks.

Images

Probably more so than you encounter in everyday life. Generally, what most hikers are interested in is that you are also hikers, and that gives you tremendous amount in common. In everyday life, you probably don't have this connection with those around you.

That said, I'm sure you may meet a few... I wouldn't worry about it.

I've read quite a few accounts of hikes - it appears for the most part, they are, although one male was uncomfortable and questioning his prejudices when a gay asked him to be his hiking partner for a bit. Wouldn't bother me, but with the small number of women on the trail, if you're young and good looking, I'd expect some comments anyway from the guys. Since I'm old, not expecting any hassles. . . The entire issue I find fascinating - that my children are rabidly pro LBGT rights and have a lot of gay friends. When I was in high school - early 1970's graduation, not one person would admit to it. How much things can change in only one generation!
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Images

Why would anyone care unless you're throwing in their faces? You planning on some PDA in the shelters because I don't even notice that among hetero's. Other than that, you're just another couple of hikers.

Yeah, who really cares? As long as EVERYONE pitches in and helps with my tick search along the trail, all will be fine!

I believe that 'Hike your own Hike' applies pretty broadly.

Enjoy your hike!
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    ... my children are rabidly pro LBGT rights and have a lot of gay friends. When I was in high school - early 1970's graduation, not one person would admit to it. How much things can change in only one generation!
    And for the better, thank goodness! I've had the exact same experience as you.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Why would anyone care unless you're throwing in their faces? You planning on some PDA in the shelters ....
    Too much public PDA isn't appreciated, even among hetero couples. It's not the orientation, it's the in-your-face part that would offend.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

None of that bothers me. All I care about is that people are nice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Too much public PDA isn't appreciated, even among hetero couples. It's not the orientation, it's the in-your-face part that would offend.
    That's exactly what I'm saying.

Lee Swislow, Executive Director of GLAD (Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders) out of Boston, took a leave last year and thru-hiked the trail. You might want to check out her journal under her trail name of "Glad Gal". Maybe contact her if you have other questions.

http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=11762
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Lee Swislow, Executive Director of GLAD (Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders) out of Boston, took a leave last year and thru-hiked the trail. You might want to check out her journal under her trail name of "Glad Gal". Maybe contact her if you have other questions.

http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=11762
    Good journal Great pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

RainMan

I agree, no one really cares, but the PDA issue will have to be tackled by the next generation for all you that like to express your love in the open for all to see

I think your more likely to have trouble with day hikers and locals than through hikers. Just take the normal precautions to protect yourself.

--louis

There are so many couples hiking together of every possible gener combination who's to tell who are just friends and who are partners? No one is going to ask, and you have no reason to tell. If you end up as part of a group, they will most likely figure it out soon enough and if that's an issue for anyone, they can move on.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

hikes with my partner all over the country for 12 years now, never had a problem because we had kept DPA to a bare minimum...have a great hike!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow - I am going to break my personal beliefs and post here. Men will not confront you on the trail with this issue. if it does happen, it.s rare and not forgotten.

you want a "guy" opinion click on my name and PM.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Agree that PDA (Gay, straight, or otherwise) is not appreciated in the shelters. Now along the trail or in the privacy of a tent, who cares?? You might want to be sensitive and aware during town trips as you tend to be in very isolated small towns.

The trail doesn't care if you enjoy the company of men, women, or goats. It takes all kinds to make this world go around. Hike your hike your way and to hell what any one else thinks.

HYOH! I second what waasj says about the really rural small towns possibly having judgemental statements or reactions but they have to answer for and live with their comments. If I had the opportunity to suggest anything it would be to be cautious around the crossroads or southern sections where hunters hang out and drink on occasion o the tailgates of their picup trucks. Its even intimidating for a heterosexual southern gal to encounter. Unforutunately, there is some ignorance among us no matter where we go. Just being discrete with PDA or not displayin your orientation with a FLAG would be in your best interests in those areas. 218 miles down...and only 90% left to go!!

Bigotry exists in the north too, by the way.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++