WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question

Shave your winky? Now thats funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodds1990 View Post
    I feel this is a dumb question, but I'm trying to cut out stuff from my pack and was wondering if I should bring deodorant or not? I mean, we are going to smell terrible at some point anyway so does deodorant even make sense?
    It makes absolutely NO sense to bring deodorant on the trail. It would be the most useless thing you carry. Every hiker, yourself included, will smell like hell in a couple days or weeks so you might as well get used to it. You won't even notice the smell after a while.

This is turning into an interesting post lol

Journal Entries
    Images

how about writing out your pack list.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Take some rubbing alcohol and cotton rounds. Very multifunctional. Squirt a little alcohol on a cotton round, wipe your underarms, clean your private parts, clean your feet, use it for fire starter. Takes care of smelling, chaffing, rotting, and cooking.

I'll never understand people who whine about snorers in shelters, but think stinking up the place is okay. After all, one doesn't have to stink, PLUS, you can plug your ears, but not your nose.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

I played around with the store bought ones - not great but better than nothing....beats listening to the wife.

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    how about writing out your pack list.
    This is the link that has my pack list on it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-Amateur-Hiker

I changed a few things on it from when i first posted it. I dont have the Eureka Solitaire tent, i have the black diamond beta mid now. I also got rid of the fleece and bought a patagonia nano puff pullover. Im carrying less socks too. Im just taking glove liners and not mittens.

agreed. There are many ways to keep clean on the trail. Shower when it's raining, stuff your clothes into a running brook to wash them (kind of), small sponge and tiny hotel soap will go a long way...

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Take some rubbing alcohol and cotton rounds. Very multifunctional. Squirt a little alcohol on a cotton round, wipe your underarms, clean your private parts, clean your feet, use it for fire starter. Takes care of smelling, chaffing, rotting, and cooking.

I'll never understand people who whine about snorers in shelters, but think stinking up the place is okay. After all, one doesn't have to stink, PLUS, you can plug your ears, but not your nose.

RainMan

One of the joys of hiking for me is learning and practicing simple and sustainable ways to perform daily ablutions while on the trail, including laundry, and cookware, as well as the body. With the exception of food, the ultimate objective is to be able to hike indefinitely, even when you are only out for 2-5 days.

The appalachian trail is probably more challenging in this respect than where I hike here in New Brunswick. There is more traffic, and it is alot hotter, so you probably can't depend as much on being able to burn sticks to boil lots of water, and you can't use as much moss or plants or other such materials, and you have to be more careful around streams. Still, I think the extra challenge would be fun, but I would definitely have to adapt.

For the most part I just use hot water.

One of the joys of hiking for me is learning and practicing simple and sustainable ways to perform daily ablutions while on the trail, including laundry, and cookware, as well as the body. With the exception of food, the ultimate objective is to be able to hike indefinitely, even when you are only out for 2-5 days.

The appalachian trail is probably more challenging in this respect than where I hike here in New Brunswick. There is more traffic, and it is alot hotter, so you probably can't depend as much on being able to burn sticks to boil lots of water, and you can't use as much moss or plants or other such materials, and you have to be more careful around streams. Still, I think the extra challenge would be fun, but I would definitely have to adapt.

For the most part I just use hot water.

Journal Entries
    Images

All thru-hikers stink after a while. It takes a little effort to try to stay clean. Some folks can do a good job and only stink a little. Other hikers don't care about how they smell. They never wash at all. As a thru hiker I met, mostly young guys, who stunk so bad that I couldn't get near them. One guy never took a shower even thow we were at a hostle with hot water and towels. I guess it's just part of the hike your own hike thing. I showered every chance I had. If I couldn't shower I used baby wipes to clean up before I went to bed. When it got warmer I would wash with my hankerchief and my cook pot. I also had a set of cloths that I wore in my sleeping bag.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I played around with the store bought ones - not great but better than nothing....beats listening to the wife.

If those wear edible,then that would be Awesome!.............................sorry awful!

This is what a woman said to me at a store in Cloverdale, VA during a hike last year:

"I could tell you wasn't a hiker because you don't stink".

Funny but I had just hiked from Waynesboro, 7 days without washing...

Leave it behind. We all smell the same after about 2 days.

Images

Ive never not washed up and wiped down at the end of the day.I always considered this as part of being able to sustain in the woods.
    We can stop here,or we can keeep going...

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Sent home the deodorant at Neel's Gap . . . . you truly don't need it. Rubbing alcohol ain't a bad idea, but I'd think twice about rubbing a toxic dryer sheet over your skin - hell you shouldn't use them in any way, shape or form. Just do a TPA wash in between showers and you'll be fine.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by waasj View Post
    Leave it behind. We all smell the same after about 2 days.

this is an opinion and it's wrong lol. u only think everyone smells as bad as you cuz your stank is overpowering everyone elses so you assume they must smell as bad as you. different people have different body odor outputs and that is fact.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    This is what a woman said to me at a store in Cloverdale, VA during a hike last year:

"I could tell you wasn't a hiker because you don't stink".

Funny but I had just hiked from Waynesboro, 7 days without washing...

She was just being polite - she lied.

Woo

Journal Entries

All these posts :STINK" !!
    I have completed my goal for today, so....NowWhat?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++