WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderheart View Post
    I hear you, SCGamecock. Yes, folks on here can get their panties in a wad very easily. If your buddy died from a sedentary lifestyle, then you know what to do. Sorry for your loss. How did a SCGamecock wind up in Canada?

SCGamecock, I got it! Putting in the perspective that this is a forum where most of us are active and outdoors type people. Some of us are sensitive and open minded. To die on the couch at such a youing age. It motivates me to do more activity. It is a shame there is so much knowledge on this websight, but some people can't see the forest through the trees. If you people take things so literal, GET OFF OF THE MOUNTAIN! Now...try to figure that one out........(Waiting for the bashing.)

Big Papa

@ John Gault - My friend died of a heart attack. He didn't lead the healthiest of lifestyles.
    @ Tenderheart - In Canada for my wife's job. I'm not currently working so I'll be part of AT 2013.
    @ Big Papa, Moytoy, Loneoak - Thanks

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I understand the motivation completely - when I was forty, a good friend of mine died. It hit me that there were a lot of things I wanted to do and I better get started. Since then I haven't given up my responsibilities to my family, but I have changed to a better job, travelled the world, and hiked 12 sections of the AT. Sometimes a kick is what you need to get going.

I understand the motivation as well. My friend is 38, same age as I am, and she hiked rim to rim in the Grand Canyon a few years back. A couple of years ago her scoliosis acted up and she had back surgery that put her in bed for most of the last two years. She's still in constant pain and can barely walk. Watching her go through this has been massive motivation for me to do my thru-hike now, while I physically can, because you just never know what might happen to your health and abilities.
    "Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++