WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Delorme PN-60

Default Delorme PN-60

Just got this thing and have been finding my way...first thing, get a SD card for $35 and a SD card read/writer for $10 or so. Otherwise, it will take weeks to load the maps. I did load the maps provided that should cover the AT, PCT, and CDT. Then I dove into the maps and the trails were there, so that's good. Found the BMT too. I bet all the biggies are on this map.

It is a little goofy in that you have to turn off everything else running in your Windows version to get the map download to work. Instructions are provided that work. Probably more to follow as I dig into this thing and try to make it work.
    Last edited by juma; 12-16-2011 at 19:00.

Images

In my experience, the quickest way to download maps was directly to the SD card. I don't recall having to shut down other applications while that was going on.

Also, at least in the case of the CDT, don't trust the line shown as the CDT on DeLorme's maps. Get the tracks from the CDT forum here on Whiteblaze.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Did you load the WB CDT tracks on the Delorme map or another map?

I have the PN-40 and love making routes and then putting them on my Handheld. I find some of the distances a little different than the guides. You should probably add a few miles to each trip you plan.

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    In my experience, the quickest way to download maps was directly to the SD card. I don't recall having to shut down other applications while that was going on.

Also, at least in the case of the CDT, don't trust the line shown as the CDT on DeLorme's maps. Get the tracks from the CDT forum here on Whiteblaze.
    Handlebar is correct in that you don't need to turn off other applications if you download to an SD card mounted on an SD card reader/writer. If you want to download to an SD card already in the PN-60, you will have to turn off other applications.

Another glitch - the PN-60 will likely not download .gpx files correctly unless you update to firmware 3.3. Google for directions. Update loaded with no problem.

looks like you will need delorme's topo 9 PC software on your PC in order download tracks and waypoints to PN-60 - another $80 or so. kind of a bummer....may just take this back to REI and try a different one.*****As You Were*****

Rainy day here so after considerable fussing around I got it to load up the PCT waypoints on the delorme topo 9 map. Using Linux (could be any operating system I bet), I opened the SD card from a SD card reader and then opened the .gpx file from Halfmile and unzipped it. Then drag and drop into the SD card. Put the SD card back in and opened the PN-60 waypoints folder and then halfmile's file. It all popped up on a map. I'm thinking this thing is going to work now Don't need no $80 Topo 9 software.

Next I loaded a .gpx track file using the same drag and drop process above. Now I can see the waypoints and the track. Half-mile's track, which I assume is more accurate, does not follow the Delorme PCT track exactly. Its all very close with a lot of overlap. I assume one could find the trail, if off base a little, by going to one of Halfmile's track points.
    Last edited by juma; 12-27-2011 at 15:27.

Looks like somebody is ready to kick some PCT @$$.

If you can get the half mile waypoints to display for the PCT that's huge. As you'll recall from our PCT trip my GPS unit was not recording my mileage very well but all of Halfmiles waypoints were clearly visible on my screen so I knew exactly where I was mileage wise.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Looks like somebody is ready to kick some PCT @$$.

If you can get the half mile waypoints to display for the PCT that's huge. As you'll recall from our PCT trip my GPS unit was not recording my mileage very well but all of Halfmiles waypoints were clearly visible on my screen so I knew exactly where I was mileage wise.
    Yeah, I'm angry!

ignore, I stuttered, I'm so mad.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    Did you load the WB CDT tracks on the Delorme map or another map?
    I have both the Whiteblaze CDT tracks and OOO's (09 CDT thru hiker). BTW, when I bought my PN60, the Delorme Topo 9 North America was part of the package. I don't understand why you wouldn't have got it with your REI purchase.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    I have both the Whiteblaze CDT tracks and OOO's (09 CDT thru hiker). BTW, when I bought my PN60, the Delorme Topo 9 North America was part of the package. I don't understand why you wouldn't have got it with your REI purchase.
    I did get it.

I did get it.
    What you don't get is the Topo 9 that displays on your desk/laptop.

The Topo 9 that ships with the PN60 does also display on a desktop or laptop. In fact, I use the desktop to lay out trails, and then transfer the completed files to the PN60. Note that you can also choose to transfer other topo info at the same time if you did not already transfer the area maps. I found the Topo software a bit of a challenge to learn, but now really appreciate its versatility. I enjoy getting data such as total elevation gain and lose along a route, as well as details of other trails near my route.

Images

That's odd. I got it with mine, but then again I ordered directly from DeLorme.
    Handlebar

I bought mine from Amazon it came with topo 9 also

You can always contact Delorme and they will provide topo 9 if you didn't recieve it . Delorme also has a great forum on their website for help and information on the operation as well as any help you need. Be sure and take in the 29 bucks per year subscription if you want to down load any satillete imagary as well I really like the USGS topo software downloaded in the 1:24000 scale..its very very good. I have used Delorme for quite a few years and its bomb proof when you learn it. Take your time and learn it as it to me is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    You can always contact Delorme and they will provide topo 9 if you didn't recieve it . Delorme also has a great forum on their website for help and information on the operation as well as any help you need. Be sure and take in the 29 bucks per year subscription if you want to down load any satillete imagary as well I really like the USGS topo software downloaded in the 1:24000 scale..its very very good. I have used Delorme for quite a few years and its bomb proof when you learn it. Take your time and learn it as it to me is the best.
    Ok, I'll have to try to get it to work on my desktop. Must have overlooked something in the installation. Sure glad I saw this before I went and bought another copy!
    Thanks to all.

I did finally get around to loading delorme on my desktop. Quite a device. I was able to also load the PCT tracks and waypoints and then be able to see it in 3D. I think its pretty easy, maybe even "intuitive," to make the GPS and your desktop show you trail and load new .gpx files of other trails and look at them. However, I think this thing will do a lot more but the instructions don't seem all that handy to understand. I can see why some have trouble with it.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

How big is the screen on the Delorme? One thing I don't like about my Garmin is the small screen size.

I'd prefer something about the size of a Kindle actually..

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    How big is the screen on the Delorme? One thing I don't like about my Garmin is the small screen size.

I'd prefer something about the size of a Kindle actually..
    About 2" by 3s." Having not had any other GPS, I like this one because it came with enough map, loads and displays .gpx files easily, good battery life, bright screen, small and lite and you can see a lot with the included desktop version. However, its probably still way more GPS than I will ever need. I just want to know where I am and where the trail is. There are probably others, I'd be happy with too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++