Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PJ's?

Images

Default PJ's?

I was curious what most if you do about pajamas on the trail? It seems a bit gross to get into a cleanish sleeping bag in clothes that have been getting dirty and sweaty for the past few days. I'm doing the first 300 miles next summer (starting at Springer) and I plan on bringing some sort of light pj's, but I was curious if this was the norm?

I haven't thru-hiked yet, but my plan was to use long underwear as sleepwear (early on anyway) and then I have it if I need to hike in it too (although I hope to be warm enough from moving along not to need it then). Still figuring out what precisely to use... but I will use something different from the hiking. Among other things, the clothes need to air out, especially if they get wet from rain, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrely View Post
    I was curious what most if you do about pajamas on the trail? It seems a bit gross to get into a clean fish sleeping bag in clothes that have been getting dirty and sweaty for the past few days. I'm doing the first 300 miles next summer (starting at Springer) and I plan on bringing some sort of light pj's, but I was curious if this was the norm?
    I know this is the women's forum,but I just didn't want you to miss out on the huge sale that "Victoria Secrets" is having,happy shopping hope to see you out there,always glad to help when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I know this is the women's forum,but I just didn't want you to miss out on the huge sale that "Victoria Secrets" is having,happy shopping hope to see you out there,always glad to help when I can.
    unless your a guy,then tee shirt and long johns work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrely View Post
    I was curious what most if you do about pajamas on the trail? It seems a bit gross to get into a clean fish sleeping bag in clothes that have been getting dirty and sweaty for the past few days. I'm doing the first 300 miles next summer (starting at Springer) and I plan on bringing some sort of light pj's, but I was curious if this was the norm?
    Squirrely,Since there are more views than posts,I'll field this.Many men and women wear some sort of PJ's though they can be nothing more than again t-shirt and maybe long johns,but the main thing is don't sleep in the same clothes you hike in.Keeping them dry provides for more comfort at the end of a long day,and yes keeps your bag free from oils and funk.Though I'm sure some folks do sleep in there hiking clothes.Sorry for hijacking your thread

Images

I wear a long silk nightgown. Very lightweight and works as my bag liner without wadding up or sliding off. Wash off before putting it on each night.

Images

I couldn't imagine sleeping in my funky sweaty hiking clothes. T shirt and sleep pants sounds great, especially in warmer weather.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I use a separate long sleeve shirt and microfleece pants for bedtime. T-shirt and undies if hot out

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Try some scrubs like they use in the hospital and nurses wear.... loose fitting and comfortable.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Depends on the weather. If it's cold, I wear a midweight base layer. If the temps is jsut cool, I'll sleep in my clothes, as long at they're dry. If it's hot outside, I'll bring a cotton t-**** and a pain of boxers to sleep in.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I typically carry a long-sleeve and a short-sleeve silk weight top and wear the one I didn't hike in to sleep in since it's not sweaty. I often change into a heavier-weight top when I arrive at camp so that the one I was wearing can dry out a bit more and I can stay warmer.

After you've gone a while without a shower, you'll have a different perspective on "clean" clothes. Because of bad weather, I took a shower before I left home for Springer and didn't get another one for 10 days, which was probably my record for the AT. Usually you can grab a shower more often on the AT (but it's much harder on some other trails), but things happen or you may have to spend more money than you anticipated to get one, so don't plan on having anything that's close to clean after a few days. Laundry options will be fewer and further between than showers. In general, I find that after 4 or 5 days, it doesn't get much worse, so don't spend too much time worrying about "cleanish" states, just concentrate on dry or not.

Images

+2 on tshirt and briefs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    Try some scrubs like they use in the hospital and nurses wear.... loose fitting and comfortable.

I never thought of scrubs. That's genius! They're really light, really comfortable and I've already got a ton of them. I never thought to use them.

I found that using cotton in the summer is not a good idea. The cotton absorbs the moisture of the night air and makes me cold. My cotton clothing is actually damp in the morning. So I use wool in the winter and some kind of synthetic in the summer to avoid this problem.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Hiked GA, NC, Tenn, Maine, NH last Spring and Summer. Have to agree that after a week or two, your thoughts on Dirty change. After a month, you realize, being dry is the most important thing. In the Spring, I had mid weight long johns that were my back up dry wear that also served as my "PJs". When it got warm, it was my second shirt ( whatever was "cleaner") and some shorts. Sometimes, I wore my lite wt. town dress around camp if everything was really nasty. My advice is to limit your clothes because of the wt., but also choose wisely because you are limited by the weight. You will get over the dirt thing quicker than you think :-)
    Enjoy the AT and make it your own. It is fabulous!
    Why Jay Brave
    "To resolve, is to succeed." Chinese Fortune Cookie

I never hike for more than a week at a time but I do have a system in place to keep clean and feel as clean as possible when climbing into my sleeping bag. I have my hiking clothes and camp/ sleeping clothes. Usually my sleeping clothes do consist of base layer pants and some type of top that is appropriate for the weather conditions. There are times when all of your clothing items may be damp, dirty, or somewhere in between and you pick the cleanest of the items. Since I am an aspiring thru-hiker and have never hike for more than a week, I carry a few baby wipes with me and "wash"off prior to putting on my camp clothes after hiking. I realize many thru-hikers would not recommend this as every ounce counts- but its such a luxury and can help with odor and grime when water sources are limited. Best wishes on your hike!

Ditto. I use long johns and a long sleeve underwear top...the lightest I can find which is usually capilene or something like that...and not what I hike in.

Thermasilk top and bottom. I like to wipe down with a damp camp rag and get out of my sweaty clothes at the end of the day, give them a chance to air out under my tarp while I sleep. I've slept in a tank or crop top and shorts when the temps and humidity were high...but discovered I cannot stand sticky legs. So long bottoms work better for me. If it is very hot I will change into a dry crop top. I always carry two. One to wear, one to swap out. I rinse out the one I wore for the day at night if at all possible.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I use a silk sleeping bag liner to keep my bag clean.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Keep some clean socks to sleep in, fuzzy spa socks feel wonderful on sore, freshly cleaned feet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++