WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Images

Default Of a Feather: A (Brief) History of American Birding

Scott Weidensaul will speak at Middle Creek's Visitors Center tomorrow at 7:30 PM.

Click on Of a feather: A (Brief) History of American Birding for more information.

Images

Default Middle Creek trip report

Scott illuminated his lecture based upon his most recent book with a fine Powerpoint presentation well received by all in attendance.

My best bird sighting on SGL 46 today was a white heron (great egret), symbolic of Audubon's conservation efforts.

Images

Default Rosalie Edge: Hawk of Mercy

http://www.ugapress.uga.edu/0820333417.html

Immediately after his presentation, Scott took questions from his audience. After fielding several questions, he recognized an older gentleman seated directly in front of me.

The man said he didn't have a question, but instead had story to tell. He told us of one day many years ago when he was at Hawk Mountain.

Rosalie Edge, then in her 80s, said she wanted to hike to North Lookout. South Lookout wouldn't do. She insisted.

He said he was one of those present who accompanied her to North Lookout. He also said she had a lot of spunk, even then.

Somehow, I wasn't surprised!

Images

Default Mountains of the Heart

After taking questions, Scott was surrounded as he tore down his equipment by some who were not yet satisfied or ready to leave. I patiently waited for my turn to inquire about whether he might be presenting a lecture based upon his book Mountains of the Heart.

Unfortunately, he said he hadn't had a request and consequently doesn't have one scheduled. I suggested it might be what ATC should consider for educational entertainment at it's next biennial meeting.

He said he would be pleased to consider any such proposal. Since such things may be discussed in Vermont in a few days, I'm suggesting such a presentation be considered.

Images

Default Eastern Pennsylvania Birding & Wildlife Guide

Copies are available without charge, while supplies last, when picked up at Lehigh Gap Nature Center. For more information or to order a copy, click here.

An online version of the guide may be viewed at www.pabirdingtrails.org.

Images

Default Baird Ornithological Club

I recommend BOC's activities to locals who want to learn more about birds and meet birders of all skill levels. With many eyes and ears, it's easy to pick up a bunch of birds fast including those which might have been missed otherwise.

Click schedule to learn when and where club members and their guests will be birding next.

Images

Default Purple Martins

Click on purple martins to read a Berks County Nature Blog entry.

Images

Default SGL #110 report

Kerry Grim a local birder who frequents SGL 110 recently posted a report to Berks County Nature Blog.

Images

Default Pennsylvania eBird

Images

Default Hawk Mountain Sanctuary

Hawk Mountain is celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2009.

The annual hawk watch is now under way. Today the 1st peregrine falcon of 2009 was observed over North Lookout. To view today's count, click on www.hawkmountain.org and scroll down.

Images

Default WhiteBlaze threads

WhiteBlaze threads related to birds can be found in its Wildlife Forum. Some of the most popular include Eagles and Peregrines in the Green Diamond! Owls are also a popular topic.

If you haven't already voted, click on Favorite AT Bird (poll) to vote or view the results.

you've been posting to this thread for a few months now, and so far no one has replied. either people just aren't interested or they are too busy bird watching to respond.

i must say that the other day i was sitting in gridlock on the NE extension somewhere near the tunnel and an indigo bunting landed on the median. sat there for about a minute, then fluttered off.

Images

There are many kinds of threads. Most I start are for educational or informational purposes as opposed to those started to ask a question or to just pass time. I'm not at all disappointed when there are no replies to threads I start and prefer people not post to this thread or others like it unless they have a related question or something to contribute in the same vein.

My rational for starting this thread was to make readers aware of opportunities and resources they might not know of otherwise and to call to their attention southeastern Pennsylvania is where North American ornithology began and where important research and conservation of biological resources is still occurring today.

I have little doubt readers of this thread are occupied reading linked information and visiting birding hotspots on or near the A.T. It's had a bunch of hits considering its subject matter and I'm pleased see it and hear from those who have benefited from it.

What's posted to this thread may one day become an article covering the same topic or a portion of a larger, more general article and it's a way of sharing information while gathering it.

Images

Default Eastern Pennsylvania Birding & Wildlife Guide

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Copies are available without charge, while supplies last, when picked up at Lehigh Gap Nature Center. For more information or to order a copy, click here.
    The new link appears below.

http://lgnc.org/publications/wildlife-guide

Images

Default Hawk Mountain Sanctuary

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Hawk Mountain is celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2009.
    The main event is this weekend and participants are being shuttled from Cabela's. Yesterday's barbecue was sold out long beforehand. I'll post more as I can.

If anyone who attended this weekend's activities is reading, please post a short report.

Images

Just got back from the hawk watch at Pilot Mountain in North Carolina. Not a lot of birds today, but a good time was had by all.

I appreciate the info in this thread.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Can anyone help me identify this bird? Just a regular black bird (brown juveniles) with a yellowish beak. What caught my attention is that is has been perching on a particular branch and confusing me with its calls: hawk screeches, small chirps, long caws....thought i was looking for a mockingbird as it was continually changing its call. Any clues?
    bird.jpgbirdside.jpg

Images

Pretty sure that's a juvenile Common Grackle. It was probably experimenting with calls. I've heard young Song Sparrows singing bits and pieces of their regular song. I guess they're getting all the parts before putting them together.

++ New Posts ++