WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need a tent less than 40 ounces

I want to get a new tent so I came to the experts. Need suggestions please. Criteria:

40 oz or less my current 2p tent is 80 and I want to cut it in half

can set up in rain without getting interior wet. Doesn't have to be free standing. Can be.

for me only but no coffin. 1p or 2p is fine

I hate condensation. I know "all tents have it"

doublle wall or hybrid

would like views from all sides when not raining

3 season

Beautiful Babe included!

Thanks for the help and the Beautiful Babe.

Images

Check out Big Anges tents.

Quote Originally Posted by stilllife View Post
    40 oz or less
    can set up in rain without getting interior wet
    Doesn't have to be free standing
    for me only but no coffin
    I hate condensation
    double wall or hybrid
    would like views from all sides when not raining
    3 season
    Good work setting the criteria. Add price and I think we're good to go.

I'd take a look at the Z-pack shelters. They sell a tarp and also a clip-in inner bug shelter. The two items together weigh about a pound.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Zpack shelters are really nice... then again... you could always go hammock! AHHHHHH!

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I'd take a look at the Z-pack shelters. They sell a tarp and also a clip-in inner bug shelter. The two items together weigh about a pound.
    Even in the Plus size a little under a pound. He would definitely need the Plus; the solo wouldn't meet his "no coffin" criteria.

The Twin might be better for a person who wants lots of room, still under a pound. But only available in the integrated version, no separate bugnet layer so no "views in all directions."

Also, these are pricey so we need to know where he is on that. For example, on the low price extreme would be a (closeout if he can find one) of the Eureka Ultralight which I've seen as low as $79. Would _just_ meet his 40 oz. criteria by substituting lighter pegs and stuffsack.

Journal Entries

Hammock in winter... bridges freeze first.

Billie Blazes

Oh yea the price. Not really a factor. I know I'm gonna spend upwards of $400 or so for a nice tent. No hammocks please! Maybe next year. Not now. Just a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    Good work setting the criteria. Add price and I think we're good to go.
    Oh yea the price. Not really a factor. I know I'm gonna spend upwards of $400 or so for a nice tent. No hammocks please! Maybe next year. Not now. Just a tent.

(figured that quote thing out finally)

Images

The basic tents everyone talks about on here in that category are the Tarptents, Lightheart, SMD's. I am looking at tents also I want something with an attached fly I don't like the two piece tents although I presently use a SD flashlight 2. I also like the Montbell Crescent 2 the downsides are small front door entry. I prefer side entry tents. I do like the look of the tarptent moment or the lightheart solong 6. The lighthearts are costly. I want to follow the ideas you are given on this thread.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wwbriggs View Post
    Hammock in winter... bridges freeze first.
    you don't got a clue. been down below 0 in hammock and watched the tenters whimper and run off the trail.

but for a tent LightHeart has some great ones. http://lightheartgear.com/
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Check these out: http://bearpawwd.com/

One more thing to consider: how much/little airflow do you want through the tent? To be able to adjust the airflow you need solid fabric doors or windows, which adds weight and increases the possibility of condensation. One tent doesn't do it all. The closest would be the Stephenson Warmlite tents with the custom side window option www.warmlite.com . $$$$$$ (Btw, I've been to the Warmlite factory (former location) and their product designs are top-notch. I bought one of their bags many years ago and sold it just three years ago. It was too warm for most of my hiking needs (and a bit heavy because of the semi-rectangular design). The tents are their most impressive piece of equipment. Google for comments by owners. Most rave about them.
    Last edited by Tinker; 10-18-2011 at 09:05.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The closest would be the Stephenson Warmlite tents with the custom side window option www.warmlite.com . $$$$$$ (Btw, I've been to the Warmlite factory (former location) and their product designs are top-notch...The tents are their most impressive piece of equipment.
    I hold the Warmlite tents in very high regard and I still use one as my primary Winter tent and occasionally in other environments.

But one of the OP's criteria is: "would like to see in all directions when it's not raining." No good. Back to the drawing board.

With the optional side windows he could see in three directions. I imagine he could order a second door as well, which would give him a 360 degree line of vision. It's the$$$$ that become the obstacle then.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Another vote for the Lightheart tents.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

If you use trekking poles, you could look at the soon to be released (a few weeks...) Strato Spire 1.
    Sets up as an integral pitch (inner and fly together) , opens up both sides almost completly but easy enough to keep some rain protection even opened up, largish floor and plenty of headroom...
    ( you will be able to also get straight tent poles for it , about 4 oz ,for both, so 32oz for the shelter and pegs, about 36 if you need poles.

http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire1.html
    ss1-3.jpg
    ss2-10.jpg

Franco
    [email protected]

I really like the following tents: Lightheart Gear Solo, Tarptent Moment, Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo,, Big Anges Copper Spur 1, MSR Hubba, etc...they range from about 25 ounces up towards 40, all are side entry.

Keep in mine all have drawbacks, some will mist, some won't, some require trekking poles, some have their own. Some are free standing, some are not.

My friends and I swear by the MSR Hubba Solo Tent. Weighs 45 ounces but is free standing and super strong. Packs down small. I love this tent! Retails for $250 but I found mine for $160.

Another vote for LightHeart gear.

Images

Tons of options, cuben fiber is the lightest, why not just "go for the gold". Lightheart. Hyperlight Mountain Gear Six Moons

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++