WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    A mere handful of bear attacks compared to the tens of thousands of hikers who've travelled the A.T.
    The need to carry a weapon is so small as to be insignificant...
    At some stage you have to ask yourself,'Is this your lucky day Punk ??!!!"

The real threat, sad to say, is from your fellow humans, probably not the hikers but the bums from the edge of towns within a couple of miles of the trail...pepper or bear spray would probably see them off for long enough to get away though carrying a knife may be a a wise idea if you're frail or female - not to sound prejudice but sadly they are more of a target. Some self defense knowledge could also be a wise investment.

All this talk about guns on the trail, illegal and unnecessary......
    So...don't carry a gun, do carry a knife?

Journal Entries
    Images

I carry a machete, I'll just wack them! (Ha, ha, just joking). I think personal common sense and an awareness of one's environment is the key to personal safety. I think the stats are in the hikers favor while on the trail. So I personally, do not carry any weapon on the AT. come to think of it I do not on any hike/trail. I do plan on carrying bear spray while on extreme end of CDT. But that would be warranted there. I don't have that kind of concern while on the AT and facing Brown Bears.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    I carry a machete, I'll just wack them! (Ha, ha, just joking). I think personal common sense and an awareness of one's environment is the key to personal safety. I think the stats are in the hikers favor while on the trail. So I personally, do not carry any weapon on the AT. come to think of it I do not on any hike/trail. I do plan on carrying bear spray while on extreme end of CDT. But that would be warranted there. I don't have that kind of concern while on the AT and facing Brown Bears.
    I'm kinda reminded of the game paper,rock,scissor,only with spray,knife,gun...you decide which one trumps which.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'm kinda reminded of the game paper,rock,scissor,only with spray,knife,gun...you decide which one trumps which.
    sorry SW,didn't mean to put my post with yours....not sure how that happend

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockerZ71 View Post
    XD .45, probably should get something lighter

Ive got that same gun in a sub compact .40. Whats on the grip? looks photoshopped, or did u stipple it? I stippled mine and removed the palm swell. Ill be carrying my DB.380 on the trail. Unfortunately, once ur a cop u cant to anywhere unarmed without feeling uncomfortably vulnerable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kitecop View Post
    Ive got that same gun in a sub compact .40. Whats on the grip? looks photoshopped, or did u stipple it? I stippled mine and removed the palm swell. Ill be carrying my DB.380 on the trail. Unfortunately, once ur a cop u cant to anywhere unarmed without feeling uncomfortably vulnerable.
    Yes you can. I've been one for 18 years. I almost never carry a gun. A knife, yes, sometimes. I'm rarely armed though. Studies show people who carry guns are more likely to put themselves in a position to use them. A guy with a gun is more likely to break up a bar fight or try and stop a robbery, than simply to call 911 and give a statement. The weight is my biggest turn off on a trail... A pound makes a big difference to me now. More than I thought.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Journal Entries

North American Arms Bwc NAA Blk Widow 22/22M 2" FS 5SH Fc

$287 online

Having a heavy vent barrel a bull cylinder and oversized rubber grips the North American Arms Black Widow Revolver gives you comfort and control when you fire. With all North American Arms Revolvers the safety cylinder allows you to have the hammer resting on a full chamber safely and securely without a chance of accidental discharge. If safety and security is what you are looking for you found it with the North American Arms Black Widow Revolver.

Others have a de-cocking device too,barretta?sig?

Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras Lass View Post
    Unnecessary? The person with the most effective tool has the upper hand - and their life. You want a crazed druggie or someone so mentally disturbed that they wish to harm you to have the upper hand? Whatever happened to people understanding that they have a RIGHT to protect themselves?
    Yes Unecessary. The odds of being attacked on the AT are minscule. Using your logic every thru-hiker should wear a parachute too.

wookinpanub

I have to be honest, my views on this have changed in the last few years. On my solo southbound thru, it never even crossed my mind to consider carrying a weapon. Ditto for the many subsequent trips after that. I now have 2 daughters, ages 10 and 11, who have been bitten by the backpacking bug (thank the Good Lord). As I consider my responsibilities to protect them, it has caused me to rethink the protection paradigm. I follow trail news pretty closely and one of the consistent themes is that of violence against women. I'll still use my experience and knowledge to stay out of troublesome situations, but the thought of being in a situation where I'm not able to protect my daughters has put me in the market for a handgun. Thanks to this post, I'm now more knowledgeable about my options.

Quote Originally Posted by jalbright79 View Post
    I know bear attacks aren't very common but there are reports of bears in Georgia. Also I have read of a few cases of hikers being robbed.What kinda protection if any do you caring while trekking the AT?
    This thread is in Straight Forward. Please note the now quoted opening post. Thanks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by jalbright79 View Post
    I know bear attacks aren't very common but there are reports of bears in Georgia. Also I have read of a few cases of hikers being robbed.What kinda protection if any do you caring while trekking the AT?
    Bears can be found not only in Georgia,but through out the entire trail.Some may carry a fire arm,though in many parts it is illegal,while others carry bear spray.And then there this other category that does not carry any form of protection against bears,as it is not deemed necessary."Hike your own hike" would most certainly apply here.a term that simply means,Do what you feel you need to do.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wookinpanub View Post
    I have to be honest, my views on this have changed in the last few years. On my solo southbound thru, it never even crossed my mind to consider carrying a weapon. Ditto for the many subsequent trips after that. I now have 2 daughters, ages 10 and 11, who have been bitten by the backpacking bug (thank the Good Lord). As I consider my responsibilities to protect them, it has caused me to rethink the protection paradigm. I follow trail news pretty closely and one of the consistent themes is that of violence against women. I'll still use my experience and knowledge to stay out of troublesome situations, but the thought of being in a situation where I'm not able to protect my daughters has put me in the market for a handgun. Thanks to this post, I'm now more knowledgeable about my options.
    If you're wookinpanub in all the wong pates you may need a gun for protection!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    too bad Meredith wasn't carrying...
    I haven't carried for the past 83 years. What's your advice about what I should I carry, Lone Wolf, when I attempt to climb Katahdin for the 20th+ time this July.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thread closed. No longer serves the purpose of the Straight Forward forum.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++