WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

There is a book called Trail Safe, written by Michael Bane, which is a good read and may answer many of your concerns. When dealing with the two legged predator, use your common sense, and gut feeling. When on the trail the amount of information which is sent up and down the trail is huge, read the shelter registries.

Common sense goes a long way. Most hikers whom have had their stuff stolen were not attending their packs (Like leaving it unattended at a trailhead, or outside a store). Mind you this is not armed robbery here, but petty theft where it is a crime of opportunity for a thief. Luckily, theft is not common but does exist like every where else in the world. You have more theft from mice than humans. Bears are not really an issue, they tend to run off when encountered and consider yourself lucky if you see one. Yes they are on top of the food chain, but they are opportunistic and fighting you is just too many calories for them...plus people are large and intimidating to them....its easier to eat berries and grubs.

pistol-packin' hammock hanger with a dog rockerZ71's Avatar

XD .45, probably should get something lighter

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Wrong - in '04 on the AT in PA, a woman thruhiker named Lucky Star was attacked by a bear while in her bivvy sack. She was dragged several hundred feet before managing to free herself and scare off the bear. She was obviously shaken up but still managed to eventually continue her hike.

I had met her earlier in Shenandoah. I heard about the incident from several others hiking in '04.
    I wasn't there so I can only go by log reports and journal entries:

http://www.trailjournals.com/text/entry.cfm?id=67619

Ok, ready for the bear stories? About 4 days ago thruhiker Lucky Star was camping just a bit south of where we are right now. She was stealth camping before Eagle's Nest shelter somewhere. She appearently heard some sniffing around her bivy sack (which is a super small tent/sleeping bag) and then a second later found herself being dragged out of her bivy sack a good 20 feet or so by a black bear. It let her go and walked off eventually and did not maul her at all. Must have scared her to death though. I was told that she had not hung her food bag for the night, so it was in her bivy sack with her!! Ooops. Not a good idea.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/text/entry.cfm?id=69336

She says in a trail register, "The bear encounter was not quite an attack and not quite an abduction. But I was taken for a magic carpet ride in all my sleeping gear shortly after I went to sleep about a mile north of Heartlein campsite."
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by rockerZ71 View Post
    XD .45, probably should get something lighter

Nice gun. I agree lighter is better. The main thing to consider in a defensive weapon is it's ammunition's stopping power. I choose a Federal Premium 380 Auto 90gr Hydra-Shok JHP (Hollow Point). 20/box 400/case. The .380's light weight and this ammunition's fierce stopping power makes for a great defensive weapon. One I highly reccomend.

I like my 12 gage Double Barrel coach 18"w/T shot.never miss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I like my 12 gage Double Barrel coach 18"w/T shot.never miss
    A little heavy for hiking! LOL
    IF a person chooses to carry some form of weapon, I would suggest they get training if they don't already have it, that they practice as much as possible, and they carry their weapon of choice discreetly but accessibly. This would apply to wasp spray, pepper spray, bear spray, a knife or a firearm. A weapon is useless if you don't know how to use it, if you can't use it quickly and if you can't get to it.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    A little heavy for hiking! LOL
    IF a person chooses to carry some form of weapon, I would suggest they get training if they don't already have it, that they practice as much as possible, and they carry their weapon of choice discreetly but accessibly. This would apply to wasp spray, pepper spray, bear spray, a knife or a firearm. A weapon is useless if you don't know how to use it, if you can't use it quickly and if you can't get to it.
    Oh,sorry not for the trail,that would be illegal,and yes heavy

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Nice gun. I agree lighter is better. The main thing to consider in a defensive weapon is it's ammunition's stopping power. I choose a Federal Premium 380 Auto 90gr Hydra-Shok JHP (Hollow Point). 20/box 400/case. The .380's light weight and this ammunition's fierce stopping power makes for a great defensive weapon. One I highly reccomend.
    Guns made in .380 tend to be quite a bit lighter than what I carry (traded my 9mm for a bow) especially when you factor in the weight of 14 rounds of 45acp but I've never heard anyone recommend the stopping power of the .380 over the .45. Not that a .45 is guaranteed to take down a bear (not by a long shot), but I'd trust it over a .380 any time. I've been out of the loop for a while but I think they came out with a 9mm about the size of the LCP which would be worth considering, since the .380 is just a shortened 9mm luger

Maybe you are talking about stopping power to overall loaded weight ratio which is something I've never really considered.

Quote Originally Posted by rockerZ71 View Post
    Maybe you are talking about stopping power to overall loaded weight ratio which is something I've never really considered.

Exactly. The idea is to make them feel like they've been shot by a S&W 500mag and at the same time not have the carrying weight of a cannon. The ammo I suggested is used by military and LEO's all over the world. When not hiking, the .40 caliber JHP would be my defensive ammo of choice. If in a gun fight, I'd like to have a fully automatic AA-12 handy. Empties a 20 round 12ga can in 8 secs. Pictured with optional 12ga frag grenade (opened position), for that special someone.

Default Titanium to match your cookware.

Maybe available this summer. Titanium frame, not sure of weight. 2-45 ACP rounds in the barrels plus 2 spare in the grip. A Derringer I could hike with.

fox in the hen house

I like the judge? with .410

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Maybe available this summer. Titanium frame, not sure of weight. 2-45 ACP rounds in the barrels plus 2 spare in the grip. A Derringer I could hike with.

Now that's a practical piece for a hiker! Light, and only two rounds. And the titanium looks so cool!

Images

whats wrong with water balloons?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    whats wrong with water balloons?
    The little green gernade ones!

Journal Entries
    Images

None of them are worth the extra weight. Plus at my age if I pass on the trail so be it. That said no way would I ever haul anything but a wheelgun. Rest of that stuff will just clog up. Be like a stove that doesn't light. Useless.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Scandium alloy S&W .357. it weighs 11.5 oz & it isn't for bears.....
    Be Prepared

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++