WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Any one of S&W airweights would be good as for carrying weight.

But seriously, anyone who carries whilie hiking, where and how do you carry? I carry daily OWB at 3 o'clock. Obviously this would not work with a pack on.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

pistol-packin' hammock hanger with a dog rockerZ71's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Any one of S&W airweights would be good as for carrying weight.

But seriously, anyone who carries whilie hiking, where and how do you carry? I carry daily OWB at 3 o'clock. Obviously this would not work with a pack on.
    On my old external frame pack the waist strap was basically a piece of seatbelt material with a bit of padding around part of it, so I could just clip my OWB holster to that. Haven't figured it out with my new pack yet, so far I've just put my gun in the pack which doesn't do a whole lot of good. Think I might be able to rig something up that will be functional and look good using the holster that they ship (or used to) with the XDs.

The judge is a great suggestion I think, as is the aa12 if youd like to blast a couple hundred squirrels for dinner and don't feel like aiming.

This isn't meant to be sarcastic, I'm glad a lot of you guys are packing. I'm not and won't and I've always felt uncomfortable about the "no weapons" environment. If everyone on the trail was armed to the teeth, I would enjoy the benefit of all that protection from the 2 legged predators as well as aggresive animals. I can barely make it up a hill with my basic gear, I wouldn't even add a bullet to my load, and I'm not an ultra-lighter...

Images

That said, I like the Ruger LCR which weighs 13 oz, fits in my hip belt pocket and wasn't all that pricey.

A bulldog pug 44 special is just the ticket. Cheap, light, and fires a massive bullet that will take care of anything on the trail.

This is the Straight Forward forum. The question is what you carry or not. The thread is not a question about your reasoning for or against carrying protection.

Please try to remember the SF forums has stricter rules and hence the light background color for threads started here.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I have 2 hiking poles and a pocket knife, plus my brain. Nothing else required.

Images

I carry a six foot long one inch diameter hickory hiking staff, anyone or anything gives me a hard time, I'll put knots on their head faster than they can rub them.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Maybe available this summer. Titanium frame, not sure of weight. 2-45 ACP rounds in the barrels plus 2 spare in the grip. A Derringer I could hike with.
    Available now. Aluminum model lighter at 12 ounces.
    http://heizerfirearms.com/

I've never hiked anywhere that I felt the need for armed protection but if I do I would carry the Kel-Tec P-3AT. Just over 8 oz without ammo.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    I've never hiked anywhere that I felt the need for armed protection but if I do I would carry the Kel-Tec P-3AT. Just over 8 oz without ammo.
    Until you put a few hundred rounds thru one. Thats one I learned not to trust.

Wheelguns for me in the wild.

Images

I only bring my wits with me.

Images

Two hiking poles and my gerber bear grylls camp knife. I thought briefly about a ruger revolver (so I wouldnt be throwing evidence casually about the trail when the shells eject) but changed my mind and just went with the knife.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Default answers

Thank you for answers to my concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by jalbright79 View Post
    I know bear attacks aren't very common but there are reports of bears in Georgia. Also I have read of a few cases of hikers being robbed.What kinda protection if any do you caring while trekking the AT?
    Your common sense and a condom.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by waywardfool View Post
    Until you put a few hundred rounds thru one. Thats one I learned not to trust.

Wheelguns for me in the wild.
    I keep thinking that because Kel Tec of Florida is a little known nubie to the years of other companies, that one claims about quality coming from the other manufactures. The other companies are putting forth the "occasionally jams" to dissuade the buyer. So I have to ask, have you personally put a 100 rounds thru this little gun?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

If I weren't worried about the insane gun laws and high $$$ penalties for carrying where you're not supposed to through - what, 14 states? - I'd be buying and taking a Ruger LC9. Just shy of 1 lb. before ammo.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Journal Entries

A mere handful of bear attacks compared to the tens of thousands of hikers who've travelled the A.T.
    The need to carry a weapon is so small as to be insignificant...
    At some stage you have to ask yourself,'Is this your lucky day Punk ??!!!"

The real threat, sad to say, is from your fellow humans, probably not the hikers but the bums from the edge of towns within a couple of miles of the trail...pepper or bear spray would probably see them off for long enough to get away though carrying a knife may be a a wise idea if you're frail or female - not to sound prejudice but sadly they are more of a target. Some self defense knowledge could also be a wise investment.

All this talk about guns on the trail, illegal and unnecessary......

Images

I had one - sent it back twice due to constant jams,Problem persisted - Traded for a Ruger380, Anyway I know of many other shooters who had no problems with their Kel tec - I just had a bad one..

UOTE=Wise Old Owl;1285554]I keep thinking that because Kel Tec of Florida is a little known nubie to the years of other companies, that one claims about quality coming from the other manufactures. The other companies are putting forth the "occasionally jams" to dissuade the buyer. So I have to ask, have you personally put a 100 rounds thru this little gun?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    A mere handful of bear attacks compared to the tens of thousands of hikers who've travelled the A.T.
    The need to carry a weapon is so small as to be insignificant...
    At some stage you have to ask yourself,'Is this your lucky day Punk ??!!!"

The real threat, sad to say, is from your fellow humans, probably not the hikers but the bums from the edge of towns within a couple of miles of the trail...pepper or bear spray would probably see them off for long enough to get away though carrying a knife may be a a wise idea if you're frail or female - not to sound prejudice but sadly they are more of a target. Some self defense knowledge could also be a wise investment.

All this talk about guns on the trail, illegal and unnecessary......
    too bad Meredith wasn't carrying...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++