WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seven day section hike.

I am going to have 7 or 8 days to spend on the trail. I would love to start at Springer Mt, but logistics may be too difficult. Is there a 70 or 80 mile section that will allow me to get from Texas to an airport then the trail then to an airport and back to Texas? I really don't care which part of the trail I cover and of course I want to see it all, but I can't now. Also, Because this is such a short hike and I'll need a few weeks or months to prep, is there a "best" time of year. I love snow and am used to heat.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

The logistics are going to be tough no matter what section you choose.

Springer NOBO is fine.

2 suggestions:

1. Fly to New York (Newark Airport is preferable), take bus to Greenwood Lake, hitch up Rt 17A to where the Trail crosses, hike north 73 miles to NY Rt.. 22 near Pawling, take train back to NYC and another train back to Newark airport

2. Fly to Roanoke, VA, arrange for shuttle north to Trail crossing of Rt. 60 near Buena Vista, hike 78 miles south to Daleville, catch cab or shuttle back to Roanoke airport.

Timing: Both stretches are nice in May. Things get hot from mid-June on but being from San Antonio, it'll probably feel cool to you! Good luck!

Links to shuttles and public transportation: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...transportation

Images

My two cents: Fly to Atlanta, take MARTA to North Springs, get a ride from Survivor Dave (my preference, but plenty of other choices) to FS42 near Springer, backtrack a tiny bit, go north. You can probably knock out all of Georgia and catch a shuttle ride back from Deep Gap (or nearby). ENJOY!

Quote Originally Posted by MkBibble View Post
    My two cents: Fly to Atlanta, take MARTA to North Springs, get a ride from Survivor Dave (my preference, but plenty of other choices) to FS42 near Springer, backtrack a tiny bit, go north. You can probably knock out all of Georgia and catch a shuttle ride back from Deep Gap (or nearby). ENJOY!
    This is good advice; there a gazillion shuttlers who pick up from the Marta station (super easy to get to from the airport) and go to Springer or AFSP. I'd probably start at AFSP and finish at Dicks Creek as its an easier (ie cheaper) shuttle from Dicks than Deep Gap but either way works.

I'd suggest 10/1 or right now for your hike.

Images

Headsup, if you fly into New York or New Jersey to do a section up here, I can hook you up with a ride. Or if you decide to incorporate Trail Days into your hike, hit me up.

++ New Posts ++